Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass Monkey Competition belt

hab25

The Brass Monkey belt is pretty sturdy (as are most dedicated gun belts), but I think that it's biggest advantage is that you can REALLY cinch it down after putting it on. The buckle is a snap-together deal. Once it is fastened, there is a "running end" that sticks out. You just pull on that and it pulls down tight. Because it can be pulled so tight, you're not so dependent on velcro-to-velcro attachment to keep it stable.

They make them in a variety of widths, so you can have a thin one for your Production rig and a full 2-inch one for 3-Gun/Multi-Gun.

I've never heard of this brand. i will have to check it out. it sounds interesting with the buckle style for a comp belt. it sounds like it just a riggers belt with out the triangle clip on it. if so they are great belt for carry and possibly competition as they are veery sturdy and stiff. they use a cobra buckle which are awesome buckles!

Edited by nick romero

I think there is an inner belt that is why I was asking. The idea of being able to cinch down after putting is great. Much better in theory then just Velcroing together

Personally, I have no problem getting an inner belt tight. I can try to get the outer belt tight, but I always feel like it could be a bit tighter.

The ideal setup, IMO, would be something like a Wilderness Tactical Frequent Flyer inner belt with the CSM stiffener and full loop velcro outside and something like Brass Monkey's outer belt. Once I drop weight, I may splurge and go that route. $150 in a belt system, excluding the holster and mag pouches... well, there are worse things to spend money on.

It looks interesting but I really don't like the idea of having a really tight belt. The solution I have been using may be kind of "old man" looking but it really works well.

Perry Ruf-N-Tuf Suspenders can be quickly attached to the inner belt and do a good job of keeping things from sagging even with a full load of mags. Great for those with a tactical tummy too.

I just shot the Pro Am with these gentlemen, we happened to be squadded up together. I can tell you that these guys are very standup and honest in what they do. They make a great product and I will be buying a three gun belt from them shortly. I currently run a CR speed rig. I was sold on how the belt is very adjustable after you snap the buckle together. The buckle itself is very nice too very sturdy wont wear out, made out of aluminum I think he said they originally use it for climbing purposes. Also the belt is adaptable it doesnt have to be your race rig, you can just also use it as a nice outdoor purpose belt. This is just what I gathered from shooting and talking with them all day, hope this helps.

I won one of these belts off the prize table at Area 6. The inner hook and loop with the clasp AND synch (ie, you snap it together THEN snag it down, OVER top of the velcro inner.) Very cool.

My only issue is placement of the latch. It doesn't work with my Open and Limited rigs, unless I put it in the back. I think I'm going to dedicate this belt to Single Stack or Production, which I shoot a fair amount.

You don't overlap your Open/Limited rig in the back anyway? I'd put the buckle 3-4" away from my last mag pouch so that I'd have plenty of room to get the cinch-down overlap to work.

You don't overlap your Open/Limited rig in the back anyway? I'd put the buckle 3-4" away from my last mag pouch so that I'd have plenty of room to get the cinch-down overlap to work.

Good idea, but we have found another effective way to use this belt is to position the buckle just behind the holster on the right side (for righties)as there is plenty of unused space, and it is easy to do a right handed adjustment. That leaves all the room neccesary for limited/open mag positioning. Check out Cliff Walsh's revolver rig, thats how he uses it. For lefties, the opposite will work.

Edited by BMPshooting

It looks interesting but I really don't like the idea of having a really tight belt. The solution I have been using may be kind of "old man" looking but it really works well.

Perry Ruf-N-Tuf Suspenders can be quickly attached to the inner belt and do a good job of keeping things from sagging even with a full load of mags. Great for those with a tactical tummy too.

Two of us in the Houston area run suspenders (you out there Leon?). Great way to take some pressure off of the lower back. Only drawback is avoiding the fashion police. Just not as cool as those competition shirts with several dozen logos, but it sure works for folks like me. You know the type; a generous beer belly and no butt.

Bill

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I like my belt system nice and tight when I'm running a stage...but then I like it loosened up in between stages (kinda like how a fat guy unbuttons his pants while he's eating.) Would this belt system allow me to do that easily?

I ordered one after reading this thread. T

he guys at BMP took very good care of me and communicated very effectively, while I endured a wait time that was almost 4 times longer than quoted because of an issue with backordered components to the manufacturer. I still paid full price, I thought they might say "hey thanks for waiting so long here's a 10% coupon code / shipping's on us", but I'm still happy with my purchase and would/will be ordering another sometime in the future.

My only tip would be to order an inch or so long than necessary. I sent them my waist measurement plus an inch and I only have about 3/4 of an inch of velcro overlap on the cinching portion of the belt.

I like the belt, it looks good, it's rigid and it easily supports all of my gear for both SS and production.

• 2 months later...