Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Honest Opinion No BS On Brazos Slide and Barrel

Sharkys11

I have the bbl/comp on my open pistol. The dot tracks straight up and down. I think it's the best comp on the market. Its very light weight and helps with the transitions.

I have the bbl/comp on my open pistol. The dot tracks straight up and down. I think it's the best comp on the market. Its very light weight and helps with the transitions.

How much up and down are you getting. What powder works well and load works well with them?

Edited by Sharkys11

How much up and down are you getting. What powder works well and load works well with them?

Depends on how my recoil control is working for the day.

At the end of a practice session, the dot goes up right between the middle and the top of the lens (3/4 up) and then back down. I've tried several comps that don't have as many side bleeders and while the pistol may seem to stay flatter, the dot tends to do funny side to side things.

I've used 3n38, n105, 4756, and SP2 in Supercomp and 3n38, n105, SP2 and AA#7 in 9mm, all with 125 grain bullets. (4756 won't make major in 9.) I like 4756 and SP2 in SC and SP2 and AA#7 in 9. The viht powders 'feel' too slow/not snappy enough.

Ill be using 4756 so at least i dont have to change and refigure. So what you are telling me that the barrel is worth the extra change,thats a good thing. I just didnt want to make a purchase on one of those items that was a glammor part and didnt really work. I guess it would have helped to put in there that it will be 38 super

Edited by Sharkys11

The reason I went with the brazos is the cost effectiveness. I would rather had a Schulman but you know how it goes. I will do one later.

The slide on the other hand, not having the zig racker installed. I have a really nice Safety that will keep it off the table for me.

1342307580[/url]' post='1742927']

4756 is a cheap, soft-shooting powder, but, it is not consistent. Every can I've bought chronos different, and it is very temperature sensitive. :surprise:

I'm on my third 8 lb jug of 4756 so I guess I've used around 20 lbs of it. I've heard people say this before but I haven't really seen it. Maybe a tenth of a grain up or down between the lots I've had to make the same power. The same is true of temperature sensitivity. There's more variance between match chrono's than than the variance from temperature. Of course as usual YMMV.

Wow lots to talk about. Bob does great work, and thier service is the best. There is nothing wrong with an STI barrel. I'm not sure the schuemann is all that, my cheap clark barrels are more accurate and FASTER by 20 fps while being a 1/2 in shorter, also got an STI barrel that is faster and just as accurate. All installed and fit by the same smith, which should be as equal as it gets. I will say that Schuemann spends more time polishing the outside to make it look better.

Go sidemore and forget the racker. The Cheely mount puts the C-more more forward so the end of the slide is easier to grab. So a guy whittles the slide down to fighting weight and hangs a 2 oz steel slide racker on it, something wrong with that picture. The Cheely mount props the gun up, and I got Gas Pedals on mine so its all jacked up. If the gun runs the racker is used 99% of the time for LMR and UNLSC. I think of them as fashion accessories. There a some I see yanking that slide racker on multiple stages of a match, this shows a lack of reloading skills. They can probably clear a jam faster than I can since I don't get any practice doing that. I had slide rackers on a couple guns, if you do get one the detent ball is the only way to go, anything that screws on to an open gun needs locktite.

In 38S or SC 4756 isn't that popular because it fills the case most of the way and slings out. With a Brazos rig just hit Bob up for load info. N105 is probably what he will recommend. Almost all powders are either temp sensative or reverse temp sensative and vary a bit by lot, however, the VV powders I have shot have been very consistent and I have not seen any temp sensativity. N105 or N350 is a good place to start. I went cheap and dirty AA#7 with 38SC.

• 1 month later...

Go sidemore and forget the racker. The Cheely mount puts the C-more more forward so the end of the slide is easier to grab. So a guy whittles the slide down to fighting weight and hangs a 2 oz steel slide racker on it, something wrong with that picture. The Cheely mount props the gun up, and I got Gas Pedals on mine so its all jacked up. If the gun runs the racker is used 99% of the time for LMR and UNLSC. I think of them as fashion accessories. There a some I see yanking that slide racker on multiple stages of a match, this shows a lack of reloading skills. They can probably clear a jam faster than I can since I don't get any practice doing that. I had slide rackers on a couple guns, if you do get one the detent ball is the only way to go, anything that screws on to an open gun needs locktite.

Interseting points. I'm building now and I might just try and live without one.

Interseting points. I'm building now and I might just try and live without one.

Quinn II rackers are aluminum and very light. Work great with side mounts look great also.. You will not go wrong with the barrel/comp from Bob, It is actually a bit cheaper labor wise. The comp is attached to the barrel from the factory.

I have run at least 4 PROsx comps. They work great for 38S.

Bob really knows how these guns work - buy with confidence if you go with that choice. My present open gun is the 1st & only one that never gave me a comp/barrel problem so from my view the Trubor is genius, Bob's comp changes make it even better. As they say if you have a scope mount propping up your gun there's less reason for a racker.

FWIW, my kids bought me a Brazos drop in trigger kit for my B day and I was having some trouble with the fitting the safety. I posted here about it on a Saturday or Sunday late in the afternoon and Bob responded to me right away and said if his phones were not down he would just have me call him. We went back and forth several posts as he did his best to help me. You can't put a value on that kind of customer service! :cheers:

So a guy whittles the slide down to fighting weight and hangs a 2 oz steel slide racker on it, something wrong with that picture.

Not sure what kind of rackers you're using but I just weighed 3 different kinds. The lightest was .37 oz and the heaviest was a sidewinder at .48 oz.