Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone else having this issue ?

RippSpeed

I seem to be doing great on my Classifiers ... But I suck when I actually shoot stages. I started long time ago learning how to punch paper and hit dead center. I've sent countless of rounds down range this way.

And uspsa in I'm gettin bumped up slowly but I'm still performing like a Mid to Low C class shooter...

I seem to be doing great on my Classifiers ... But I suck when I actually shoot stages. I started long time ago learning how to punch paper and hit dead center. I've sent countless of rounds down range this way.

And uspsa in I'm gettin bumped up slowly but I'm still performing like a Mid to Low C class shooter...

Do you feel like you rush more when you are not shooting Classifiers? If not, maybe it's as simple as you are not comfortable and confident, yet, when shooting stages.

be

Do you feel like you rush more when you are not shooting Classifiers? If not, maybe it's as simple as you are not comfortable and confident, yet, when shooting stages.

be

my runs are slow no matter how you slice it ... I always have at least 3 mikes in a match. But in classifiers theres hardly any movement and thats where I seem to do better

I have a friend that does exactly the same thing. When we are shooting he will "relax" on the classifier as to not shoot it well so he doesn't go higher...well turns out that is usually his best stage of a match.

He is classified as a "B" shooter but is really a "C" class shooter. I think it all has to do with not trying too hard. When he relaxes and knows what he has to do, he does it. When he stresses about it or over thinks it he doesn't do well.

Try relaxing more on other stages and know what you need to do and don't over think it.

The instructors earn their bread and butter on these types of issues.

Their instructions usually included COF strategy, mental preparation, and course execution. Since it seems your course execution is the result, what do you think is the fundamental cause?

IMO, most classifiers are stand and shoot engagements whose skill sets are draws, reloads, and accuracy.

Most matches, IMO, require significant movement prior to standing and shooting. (I have seen less and less shooting while moving stages lately)

Mike Seeklander talks about programming yourself to miss. For me, my misses are because I took my eye off the target right at breaking the shot, I was in a hurry to find the next target. Confirming my shot, actually lead to fast times for me.

As Brian states, you have to train for movement.

What part of your training needs to change to help with movement and execution of the correct firing sequence for each target array?

I think its my stage execution is one of my main problems... Last local match I tried pushing hard to go faster and I had 10mikes for the whole match. I'm taking a private class with Taran Butler tomorrow, hopefully he can help me with some of my issues. I want to excel in this game. I wish I was as smooth at this game as I was on the road course...

Taran!!!! OMG!!

The first thing he said to me was, "WE GOT ALL KINDS OF THINGS TO FIX HERE!!!"

Taran put me on a path of self improvement. He was the impetus for the TIps from the Grand Masters column.

As a sidebar, Maggie and I were shooting stages at Taran's range. Taran would shoot it in 10 seconds, Maggie in 17 and mine was in 30. By the fourth run through, I would be in the 15 second range and Maggie in the 13 second range.

Taran comment was 'you went from 30 to 15, why didn't you just do 15 the first time.

Taran!!!! OMG!!

The first thing he said to me was, "WE GOT ALL KINDS OF THINGS TO FIX HERE!!!"

Taran put me on a path of self improvement. He was the impetus for the TIps from the Grand Masters column.

As a sidebar, Maggie and I were shooting stages at Taran's range. Taran would shoot it in 10 seconds, Maggie in 17 and mine was in 30. By the fourth run through, I would be in the 15 second range and Maggie in the 13 second range.

Taran comment was 'you went from 30 to 15, why didn't you just do 15 the first time.

LOL... I can see it now ... exactly what he'll say " Wow lets start from the begining... this is a pistol, this is a trigger" hahahaha

Which division are your shooting?

I shoot Limited

Trying breaking the stages that require a reload into "these" and "those". Shoot these with the first magazine and those with the second magazine. Most stages break down this way. Are you engaging targets as you enter and exit positions aggressively? In Limited you can sometime eliminate positions. These things should help performance on longer or field courses. If you are doing well on classifiers it would seem to indicate that you have some of the skills you need for the game. Work on moving quickly and reloading on the move but early in the movement. Arrive at the next position with the gun up and ready to shoot.

I think its my stage execution is one of my main problems... Last local match I tried pushing hard to go faster and I had 10mikes for the whole match. I'm taking a private class with Taran Butler tomorrow, hopefully he can help me with some of my issues. I want to excel in this game. I wish I was as smooth at this game as I was on the road course...

Let us know how it goes and what the results of the session were.

The articles were published in Front Sight magazine. Each column typically focus on one skill and a GM giving their advice.

I think Taran's weak and strong hand techniques were the first Tip.

• 1 month later...

I've had some similar issues. My shooting was good, times bad. I just practiced moving quicker and more efficiently from position to position then slowed down when it came time to shoot.

• 3 years later...

If your Classifiers are good and your match performance is not where you want it, you have to remember those are two different tests. Classifiers tend to test "shoot from a box" while matches require stage breakdown and shooting on the move.

To improve match performance, you should work on those skills ;)