Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why JHPs

Nemesis Lead

...longer for the same weight bullet.

IMHO...

Longer is the key to more accuracy. The longer the bullet, the more lands and grooves the bullet has in contact with the barrel producing a more consistent flight path = more accuracy.

Are you implying that shorter bullets will jump the lands/grooves? If not, how exactly does a longer bullet interact with the rifiling in a more accurate manner? It can't spin faster. Does it exit the barrel crown better? Is it less damaging to the jacket during initial rotational acceleration? I seem to recall that some barrels are designed with variable twist grooves to slowly apply rotation, but I thought that was for long guns.

shorter bullets leave the barrel sooner...while longer bullets is still being affected by the barrel...

mouse_laughing_ani.gif

Really? Is that your answer?

I don't even know how to reply to that...

I should think that the aerodynamic properties of a hollow point would only come into play at long ranges and at super sonic speeds.

The reason given for Berry's hollow base bullets is to lengthen the bearing surface. The idea being that a longer bullet is more likely to to stay "perfectly" straight with the bore while traveling the throat area. Something akin to making sure the cartridge, bullet, chamber, and barrel center are the same.

Having done considerable testing for the Army for research and development purposes, I can say that the reason JHP's are more accurate than other bullet types is because the base is more consistent allowing a more uniform flow of gasses around the bullet as it leaves the barrel. Everyone understands the importance of a uniform crown - it is just as important for the bullet to have a uniform surface and is the basis for the DoD to allow use of Open Tip Match (OTM) ammunition. It is not utilized for it's hollow point properties, but instead because a reverse drawn jacket (JHP or OTM) is more accurate. For reference please see Hays Parks (DoD Judge Advocate General) position papers on the legality of OTM/JHP projectiles.

• 3 months later...

I use hollow points for two reasons:

1. I seem to experience less splatter when hitting steel plates and poppers.

2. I compared 125 grain Zero FMJ's and JHP's out of the same pistol. The JHP's produced a tad smaller group but the difference was probably not statistically significant.

3. The cardboard IPSC targets that I shoot are not wearing body armor so I don't need a solid nosed bullet for penetration. :devil:

Complete metal jacket (CMJ) bullets, such as those sold by Montana Gold, also have no exposed lead, but are cheaper than JHPs. I'm nowhere near a good enough shot to tell the supposed difference in accuracy at 25 yards or less, so I shoot Montana Gold CMJs. I bought the CMJ version because it was only a fraction of a cent more per bullet, so I figured it couldn't hurt to have less vaporized lead floating around. The tiny amount of lead from the base of an ordinary FMJ bullet isn't going to lead up your barrel anytime soon, but why have it in the air, and on your hands & clothing, if you don't have to?

I'd love to be proven wrong, but for me the "accuracy" justification for JHPs just doesn't make sense, for a variety of reasons.

The CMJ's are not nearly as accurate as the JHP's in my guns anyway.I believe this is due to the base plug Montana Gold uses. JHP's are the best bullets I have used and the reliablity is fine unless you have a faulty magazine. In my 38 super open gun it runs fine with JHP's except in a mag I had made by Highercapacity magazines. That one does not run at all with JHP's and only about 95% with FMJ's. But all the other mags I have run JHP's great.

pat

• 2 weeks later...

While the JHPs may cut a "cleaner" hole than round nosed projectiles, they are nowhere near as good at this as a semi wadcutter or a full wadcutter.

The reason - or one of them - for the hollow base wadcutters is that they will obturate better with the hollow base, especially with very light loads.

Edited by Steve RA

While the JHPs may cut a "cleaner" hole than round nosed projectiles, they are nowhere near as good at this as a semi wadcutter or a full wadcutter.

I have used JHPs, TC, and Semi-wadcutters in my .40 and found very little difference in the holes left. A full wadcutter is another story lol. But just about anything is better than 9mm with their typical pointy fmjs lol.

Since I don't compete for prizes or money I don't care as much about the perfectness of my holes.