Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to get 21+1 rnds 40sw ... Probably 22 +1 when springs settle

RippSpeed

It is no different than cutting a recoil spring. You don't reduce their useful life by 80 %.

Of course not, because recoil springs function at a wide range of strengths. I could put a 12-pound recoil spring in my Open gun and run it for years, because it would just get weaker and weaker. It would still work because 11 pounds, 10, 9, 8, 7, maybe even 6 pounds is still enough strength to function.

11-coil (and 13-coil in 170's) mag springs are already on the edge of reliable function right out of the bag. Grams springs in particular will barely last 6 months if you shoot a lot. Unlike a recoil spring, once a mag spring drops below a certain threshold of strength, it stops functioning reliably. Now, perhaps we have differing definitions of "reliable", but in my estimation if a mag spring doesn't work 100% it's time to throw it away. In my experience, cutting coils from these springs will get you from 100% to 99% much, much faster than if you had left them whole.

Cutting one coil from a Grams or Bolen spring is going to shorten its useful life by 80%+. If it's for a "special occasions only" mag it can be worth it, but if you use it frequently it will lose its reliability very quickly.

If the spring is heat treated or deformed past the elacstic or plastic limit of the material, that is what decreases life. Normal cyclic wear will eventually wear out a spring, but the coils will maintain their spring rate regardless of how many coils are in the spring.

When you cut the spring coils you can get enough rounds into the mag that the springs are deformed past the elastic limit and they have a pretty short workable life span.

Honestly? It sounds like a lot of effort for "maybe" one extra round... and the potential of malfunctions.

One jam at a match becuase of you running your mags at the max, will do more bad than any advantage a 22rd mag will give you.

As far as 21+1 ones? If you are still maybe having to shave the bottom of your basepad, you can get 21+1 in probably any 140mm.

All of my 140mm, with Grams or SV guts will hold 21+1 with an SNL pads. Some will not a little trimming on the basepad, some will not(I run these).

In fact, one holds 21+1 with a regular +1 pad.

Look up the tuning mag thread on this site, following those instructions really does work.

Mike.

Edited by mikeg1005

• 4 weeks later...

I have a mag that holds 22 in 40 cal and one in the pipe, so I start with 23 in the gun. And it fits the guage too. I took a mag to work and xrayed it and discovered a few things

Really are you just going to leave us hanging?

I see I have someones attention, it is possiable, now keep this in mind it is a mag I do not use all the time, just for certain stages, My buddy Two Shot on here can vouch for me having this mag because now he designs the stages for his match around this mag so I do not have the advantage, which is alright with me, CR speed mag tube, bowln/TT spring and follower, SNL base pad, now I have machined on the base pad so I will let you figure out what I did no that part, I am afraid I will be treading on thin ice if I tell, please understand and think outside the box