Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single-Stack 40 Failure to Feed

OKCDaddy

Kimber stainless 2 in 40 with 100K thru it, been reworked a few times - most recently by a top tier gunsmith. Fresh Barsto barrel, ramped, stellar fit job. 14# spring, heavy recoil rod, 10-rnd 2nd gen Tripp mags tuned by the gsmith, no extractor probs. No trouble feeding or dropping mags. Shoots nice, very tight groups. Would really like to shoot it in L-10 and single-stack major but need to get it reliable first. Failure to feed problem not solved yet - bullet fails to leave the magazine and go up the ramp ~10% of the time. Bullet stays in the magazine but has usually advanced a touch. I retract the slide, drop the slide forward and the gun goes into battery. Have tried 165's, 170's, and 180's: Ranier and Precision Bullets and now Berry - mostly RNFP but also "RS" and FP bullets. OALs to 1.175. My next idea: extend OAL to 1.18 - 1.19. Try round nose bullet from Berry.

Other ideas? I'd hate to send my gun and mags to V. Tripp but I guess thats always an option.

14# spring

Failure to feed problem not solved yet - bullet fails to leave the magazine and go up the ramp ~10% of the time. Bullet stays in the magazine but has usually advanced a touch. I retract the slide, drop the slide forward and the gun goes into battery.

Based on these two points, I'd suggest a lighter recoil spring - maybe an 11#-12#. I suspect (but could easily be wrong) that your slide is short cycling with the 14# spring because the gun chambers when you manually operate the slide.

It could also be light ammo - have you chrono'd?

It's been worked over a few times and now this? What changed since it ran last? Has it ever run? Who put the barrel in and what does he say about it?Lots of 40 single stacks need a higher mag catch to prevent the nose dive.

Edited by Ronnie j

14# spring

Failure to feed problem not solved yet - bullet fails to leave the magazine and go up the ramp ~10% of the time. Bullet stays in the magazine but has usually advanced a touch. I retract the slide, drop the slide forward and the gun goes into battery.

Based on these two points, I'd suggest a lighter recoil spring - maybe an 11#-12#. I suspect (but could easily be wrong) that your slide is short cycling with the 14# spring because the gun chambers when you manually operate the slide.

No way the 14# spring is heavy enough for the gun to short stroke with major ammo. It would take a 20+ lb spring to do that.

Light ammo is possible, but that doesn't explain the nose dive.

I suspect that the feed lips are too narrow and not allowing the round to sit high enough.

First off, if your gun has a buffer installed, take it out and throw it away.

If that doesn't solve the problem, and the gun was working fine for all those rounds, and you haven't changed your ammo that was working fine before, it's obviously something to do with that fresh new nicely-fit barrel. Sure sounds to me like it could use a good throating job. This used to be in the repertoire of every 1911 gunsmith, but it seems to be something of a dying art lately.

The other thing you might consider is moving away from plated bullets. These days, they are almost expensive as true jacketed. I have seen several otherwise very reliable pistols that choked on plated bullets.

Might be something to try before doing anything drastic.

A few questions

- is this the first time you have used Tripp 10rd magazines

- are you using an elevated mag catch (EGW makes a great one)

- Besides the barrel being new, what else has changed?

14# spring

14# spring

No way the 14# spring is heavy enough for the gun to short stroke with major ammo. It would take a 20+ lb spring to do that.

Light ammo is possible, but that doesn't explain the nose dive.

I suspect that the feed lips are too narrow and not allowing the round to sit high enough.

The other thing you might consider is moving away from plated bullets. These days, they are almost expensive as true jacketed. I have seen several otherwise very reliable pistols that choked on plated bullets.

Might be something to try before doing anything drastic.

Thank you for the ideas - this forum is truly second to none - grateful for the assists and brainstorming. I did notice the precision bullets (hard molly) did a touch better than the plated (fewer FTF). Ramp is smooth adn clean. No buffer - I'll leave those to the open gun guys. GSmith already throated a touch - nottoo much. Been a frustrating year trying to get this gun back into the game.

A few questions

- is this the first time you have used Tripp 10rd magazines

- are you using an elevated mag catch (EGW makes a great one)

- Besides the barrel being new, what else has changed?

Thanks. Used the 1st gen mags previously. Had trouble with those also. On 2nd Gen now.

I think I will sign off here and go order the elevated mag catch in about 5 minutes!

New grips (G10), changed the grip saftey piece out last year, thats about it.

i am praying extending the OAL will do it, and maybe the round nose. Pretty picky gun I tell you.

Will be nice to have the mag catch ready to go though just in case. Probably play wiht the feed lips again if need be\

Thanks a ton everybody - give me a few weeks to make the changes (3 little ones at home - really cuts the live fire time)

<< Bullet stays in the magazine but has usually advanced a touch>>

As the slide goes forward it is not picking up the bullet. So to me the bullet is not sitting high enough in the mag or the mag not high enough in the gun when the slide comes forward.

Feed lips too tight so the bullet can't come up high enough. The next time you drop the slide the bullet is a little farther forward, so it's higher, and the slide catches it. This should be specific mags not all of them. Does the problem happen on all mags about 10% of the time or 10% of the total so it could be one or two mags.

Mag not sitting high enough in the gun, EGW mag release should solve that.

To load .40 1.19+- you need to be running 10mm mags as at some point the .40 mags won't load as the bullet will be hitting the front of the mag. I run 10mm mags so I can use the same load for the limited gun and the SS.

Hello: Do you have any 45 magazines? If so try them and see how it feeds. I make the feed lips 0.394" front to back on my single stack mags for 40. That allows the round to sit up higher and feeds better. I also use 45 mags in my 40 SS's. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Do you have any 45 magazines? If so try them and see how it feeds. I make the feed lips 0.394" front to back on my single stack mags for 40. That allows the round to sit up higher and feeds better. I also use 45 mags in my 40 SS's. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric