Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Organizing your shooting junk, magazines etc

peteinct

Hi everyone, I'm curious how people organize and store their shooting stuff such as magazines and such at home. I keep my magazines loose in a drawer in a canvas bag which isn't ideal. The only magazine storage rack Ive seen online were a shelf under a pistol rack. Does anyone have a solution? My shooting stuff is threatening to overgrow its space esp. since I started reloading. I have a lot of junk hanging around loose and would like to see how others organize it. I don't want to end up on that Hoarders show! Thanks. Pete

I store all the things I need for a match in my range bag. I once used to keep my mags in a 4 mag, mag pouch and kept it on my reloading bench. One day I went to a match 1.5 hours away, got there, and presto...no mags for the gun...still on my reloading bench. No one else had a Para P16-40 to borrow mags from, so someone, a class act guy who I won't mention, loaned me one of his backup guns and mags in 40 cal.

Long story short...store your match things in your range bag, The rest of the stuff gets put in boxes, cases, and other storage areas.

Storage containers for my stuff I am not using right now. Shelving from Costco to put the storage containers on. All 45 mags in one container, 9mm in another, 40 in another, etc. I usually leave commonly used magazines in Shooters Connection magazine storage pouches stored inside the containers. That way I can grab the pouch with 6-12 magazines of any given caliber and throw it in my range bag on my way to the range. I like the clear storage containers so I can see what is inside.

Randy

Guns in the safe.

Mags in pencil boxes (Staples).

_MG_9393.jpg

Holsters/mag pouches in Sterilite boxes (WalMart) and these are for each make of gun and stored on a shelving unit. My IPSC/USPSA rigs are kept on the top shelf of the unit.

Little plastic basket to store mags by type, ammo in a safe, gun in another safe but will be soon in a new gunroom, rigs in the range bag, cleaning stuff in a fishing box, and anything else on shelves.

Hello: I use different coloured range bags for my different setups. That way I know the blue Shooters Connection Pro bag is for Limited, red Pro one for Open and the green Ultra one for revolver. The Shooters Connection Ultra bag is great and so is the Shooters Connection inner bag for local matches or when the weather is bad. The spare mags go in Acro bins with labels on the outside. Single stack mags go in 6 position mag pouch that will hold 12 SS mags. That reminds me I should order another Ultra bag for Production. Thanks, Eric

In the range bag.

If I work late Friday night and I'm getting up early to go to a match Saturday morning, I hate going through that "What am I forgetting?" stuff.

Make sure the gun is in the bag and I didn't leave it out last time I was dry firing or cleaning or whatever. Make sure there's enough ammo in the bag. Throw bag in truck and go.

Mine is setup similar to this, got the plastic container at Walmart. One box for mags, one for spare parts and one for the pistol. Depends what I want to play I just get the combo boxes, toss them in bag and head to the range. Ammo & gear on separate bag.

quote name='RePete' timestamp='1341418838' post='1737219']

Guns in the safe.

Mags in pencil boxes (Staples).

_MG_9393.jpg

Holsters/mag pouches in Sterilite boxes (WalMart) and these are for each make of gun and stored on a shelving unit. My IPSC/USPSA rigs are kept on the top shelf of the unit.

Thanks for the replies fellas, I am going to look into the pencil boxes. I think that will work great. I 'm trying to have dedicated range bags but I shoot many different types of matches so I would need too many bags. I have tried to have a range( practice) bag and a competition bag but the cost of doubling everything esp. ear protection makes me wince. If I have to fiddle around before a match anyway i mkght as well just go with one bag. As for containers I drink maxwell house coffee just to have the square blue plastic tins to keep my empty brass in.

I will post a picture once my area doesn't look like a bomb went off in it. Thanks. Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I use I-Shot mag pouches to organize my production mags, california comp works pouches for open mags. I also use dedicated bags for 22, revolver and production/ 3 Gun, and limited. It helps to have won several bags from prize tables over the years.