Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip - pushing both hands into the grip

cpa5oh

I have read that pushing and pulling your hands is no good for action pistol shooting...what about using your pecs and front deltoids to force the palms together (getting the sensation that you're at the top of a dumbbell fly exercise?)

I think I've read someone recommend this before but do not remember who it was (or whether it was some internet goofball.)

I'm very slow compared to other shooters and it's because 9/10 times, when I first point my gun at a target, the front sight is not in the rear notch and I've got to make adjustments with my wrists. The 1 time that the front sight is in the rear notch I'm surprised and don't let the shot go right away (so used to it not being there.) It *seems* like a slight pressing of my hands together on the gun, using the muscles of my chest, automatically lines the front sight up in the rear notch. However, I've only fooled with this doing dry-fire...and on a different day maybe this slight upper body squeeze won't have the same affect (i.e., could have been something I was doing without realizing it that was causing the front sight to line up and not the slight inward squeeze.)

Think about your grip as each hand gripping the gun independently, take either hand away the gun should still be on target with no inward pressure.

Okay I'll try that...thank you! Gonna go to the range tonight and do some drills with this.

I have read about and experimented a bit with applying inward pressure using the pectorals and I have found it only to be beneficial when holding on to something that is really trying to twist out of your hands like a subcompact .40. For the guns and loads we use in competition a neutral grip is probably better.

I have read that pushing and pulling your hands is no good for action pistol shooting...what about using your pecs and front deltoids to force the palms together (getting the sensation that you're at the top of a dumbbell fly exercise?)

I think I've read someone recommend this before but do not remember who it was (or whether it was some internet goofball.)

I'm very slow compared to other shooters and it's because 9/10 times, when I first point my gun at a target, the front sight is not in the rear notch and I've got to make adjustments with my wrists. The 1 time that the front sight is in the rear notch I'm surprised and don't let the shot go right away (so used to it not being there.) It *seems* like a slight pressing of my hands together on the gun, using the muscles of my chest, automatically lines the front sight up in the rear notch. However, I've only fooled with this doing dry-fire...and on a different day maybe this slight upper body squeeze won't have the same affect (i.e., could have been something I was doing without realizing it that was causing the front sight to line up and not the slight inward squeeze.)

I may be new to this but spent some time practicing the other day and almost always had the same result until I started to engage the serratus anterior for stability, inner/upper pectorals and let my upper back round a little bit by relaxing the posterior deltoids. Almost instantly my shots got better. The serratus anterior naturally help to pull the scapula/shoulder blades tighter to the rib cage and gives more stability and seemingly, less recoil and a more stable pull-through of the trigger without having to engage and tire out other muscles. Trainer's take on it.

I am still amazed at how much of the body comes into play with shooting in general. Hence me being hooked!

Anyone know of any publications focusing on anatomy in relation to shooting?

Thanks and hope my 2 cents helps!

Oh an another thing. Someone told me that the fingers of your dominant hand (trigger hand) should be what pulls the grip into your palm and the other hand is more relaxed and is just to stabilize as opposed to squeezing the hell out of it. : shrug : rookies mistake.

If only we could all be so lucky to be in a supportive teaching environment!

I took a class on revolver shooting from Rodney and Sam and they suggested that approach (pressing together to engage you pectorals). I am normally an open shooter but figured why not, so I tried it a bit in practice with my open gun... It seemed like maybe it caused the dot to track straighter? Not sure yet what to think... I am going to play with it a bit more as I have practice time and see if it leads me anywhere interesting.

Oh an another thing. Someone told me that the fingers of your dominant hand (trigger hand) should be what pulls the grip into your palm and the other hand is more relaxed and is just to stabilize as opposed to squeezing the hell out of it. : shrug : rookies mistake.

Actually I think most instructors would tell you the weak hand is the one doing the heavy squeezing. The strong hand needs to remain more relaxed so your trigger finger can stay fast.

aren't you supposed to apply pressure to have a better recoil control?

I heard of 2 theories, one is to ride with the gun don't fight against the recoil, the other is to use grip strength to minimize the jump of firearm.

From the standpoint of someone who knows very little it sounds like you're putting way too much effort into holding the gun perfect still with muscle instead of technique. I understand maybe tightening up to control recoil if you're just blasting away at one target but engaging all of those muscles and trying to move and engage more than one target just sounds exhausting and too constricting. Not only will you tire very quickly, but by throwing your body of balance so much you'll find it nearly impossible to remain consistent.

I like the idea of shooting one handed with both hands...now put them together and you'll have perfect pressure.

CM

Edited by Clint-M

Bob Vogel 'pinches' his gun with sideways pressure. Notice his elbows are pointed out. In fact he utilizes so much WH pressure that if you look at his gun at the 0.07-second point of this video you will see his gun is slightly cocked towards the SH side. His grip strength is incredible.

I was always taught that your WH pressure should be 60% vs. 40% for SH.

Edited by E K

Bob Vogel 'pinches' his gun with sideways pressure. Notice his elbows are pointed out. In fact he utilizes so much WH pressure that if you look at his gun at the 0.07-second point of this video you will see his gun is slightly cocked towards the SH side. His grip strength is incredible.

That defintely works for some people; but it never worked for me. I taught myself to feel and remember the grip pressure as one feeling. Which was as hard as I could grip the gun without locking up on the trigger. I could then summon that grip/feeling on demand. Most of the time. :D

That defintely works for some people; but it never worked for me. I taught myself to feel and remember the grip pressure as one feeling. Which was as hard as I could grip the gun without locking up on the trigger. I could then summon that grip/feeling on demand. Most of the time. :D

It doesn't work for me either! :roflol:

hope Im not drifting from the topic:

w/ regards as to how we grip the gun, do we apply constant pressure throughout the aiming-firing-recoil- cycle to produce a spring-like tension to manage recoil or do we push the gun after the shot to return the gun from recoil? I've heard TGO in one of his videos where he mentioned pushing the gun back to alignment after the first shot to prepare for the succeeding shot. This pushing action could be subcons but am I correct to take TGO's words literally? Am I missing something?