Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where can I find one of these?

Not overly interested in the case feeder, although from what I hear it is more reliable than a typical rotary style. Really interested in the case roll sizer, which they have dies for 9mm, .40 and .45

I've seen one on Gunbroker but only in 9mm, nothing that I can find in .40 ... From what they told me, the unit in the pictures is a Scharch, but I can't find anything on the net about it. Not sure how old it is, but they got it with the Camdex they bought.

Ideas?

post-32569-0-79007200-1340245409_thumb.j

post-32569-0-86543300-1340245422_thumb.j

Thanks jmorris .. If you just punch in scharch.com it takes you to the top brass website. IIRC there used to be links to the machinery page but I couldn't find anything.

A casepro would be cheaper yes, but from what I've read there's a 10-12 month wait.

I've got a casemaster jr right now and have har no issues with it, but it does get hard on the arm after a while. Magma makes an automated version for around $6k. Not sure how much the scharch is.

I've searched around and there are as many different opinions as there are people using the different machines. Some people like the push through style, some like casepro rolling, some like the scharch style.

I bet you'll find the Scharch to be the most expensive out of all of them, if you can get them to build one. At least they are a roll sizer, so they can clean up the extractor grove. Push through sizers like magma's and the Lee make them round, at least at the rim on tapered cases, but simply can't do the same job as a roll sizers.

The Scharch is also quite fast at 5000 cases an hour. My automated casepro can only run 1800 an hour, then again it has always been able to keep up with me.

Edited by jmorris

• 2 weeks later...

A casepro would be cheaper yes, but from what I've read there's a 10-12 month wait.

I was quoted 3 months, 2 1/2 months ago. I'll let you know when I get mine.

I was quoted 3 months also, 5 months ago

I am currently working on building a case sizer like the on pictured. I'll let you know how it turns out. My assumption is the cost should be less than $500 with a used gear motor driving the roller die.

• 2 weeks later...

I bet you'll find the Scharch to be the most expensive out of all of them, if you can get them to build one.

Got an email from a friend who is also a commercial reloader. Attachment was a letter from Scharch saying they are disbanding their machinery (ie, reloading equipment) division and concentrating on brass... Which explains why Top Brass comes up when you google Scharch

Thats why I added the "if you can get them to build you one" comment.

Couldn't you buy a lot of new brass for $6000?
Sure, but what do you do after that? Heck, $6000 will buy a lot of factory ammo too. The point is to spend the money once on equipment so forever you can make used things perform as good or better than new.

Same idea goes when buying reloading equipment, if you buy a Lee press (to "save money) then a Hornady (because its better than Lee and more afordable than a Dillon) only to wind up with a Dillon in the end, did you save more money than the guy that got a Dillon from the start?

Edited by jmorris

Thats why I added the "if you can get them to build you one" comment.

Couldn't you buy a lot of new brass for $6000?
Sure, but what do you do after that? Heck, $6000 will buy a lot of factory ammo too. The point is to spend the money once on equipment so forever you can make used things perform as good or better than new.

Same idea goes when buying reloading equipment, if you buy a Lee press (to "save money) then a Hornady (because its better than Lee and more afordable than a Dillon) only to wind up with a Dillon in the end, did you save more money than the guy that got a Dillon from the start?

Nail on the head. Dillon..... Buy once, cry once.

I am happy with my three presses. 550 for higher volume, Lee LCT for mid volume and load development, and RCBS for the big rifle stuff.

All reloaders need to balance the cost versus the benefit/volume/precision. If I were reloading 10,000+ rounds a week, or even 1,000+ rounds a week I could see the benefit of a machine like this to automatically size all of my brass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I purchased that machine in the YouTube video above. It came with one die, in 9mm. Currently it is with my machinist and he is building different dies for other calibers. I should have it in a month or so, ready to go in 9mm, .40, .45, .38S

Cost breakdown:

$2650 for the machine (no case feeder)

$850 shipping/importing/tax/duty

I haven't gotten a price on the 3 new dies yet but if I had to guess it will be around $900 for all 3

• 2 weeks later...

I was quoted 3 months, 2 1/2 months ago. I'll let you know when I get mine.

Mike contacted me today, mine should be shipped out next week. That works out to 5 1/2 month wait. It is arriving just in time, after A7 last week I'm switching to L10.