Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 vs 2011 Help

Can someone tell me what the differences are between the 1911 and the 2011? Also, what are the better companies that make 2011's? I am a 1911 guy and have a ton of Kimbers but, I would like to look into a 2011... just dont know anything about them.

Also, what is the better platform?

Please let me know!

Thanks

Can someone tell me what the differences are between the 1911 and the 2011? Also, what are the better companies that make 2011's? I am a 1911 guy and have a ton of Kimbers but, I would like to look into a 2011... just dont know anything about them.

Also, what is the better platform?

Please let me know!

Thanks

The short and sweet: 1911 is single stack and 2011 is double stack/ hi cap 20,21 sometimes 22 rounds for limited division.

Magazine length limit is 140mm.

Manufactures are STI and Infinity/SV.

As mentioned, 1911 = single stack mags and 2011 = double wide magazines therefore the primary difference is the capacity. There are a few lesser differences i.e. 2011s can be had with long dustcovers, though some 1911 manufacturers are offering 1911 frames in the LDC configuration as well. Additionally, the frames are a two part assembly of a steel (usually) upper receiver and either a polymer (STI and older SV) or steel grip (newer SV) lower.

Depending on your purpose (games or something else) and within the games, the discipline and division of interest, both frames can be made into fine instruments and the choice of a platform, 1911 vs. 2011, depends on where your interests lie.

To more appropriately answer this question. What is the purpose? Competition, Range, Defense, Collection? Knowing your intended use would better help to give a good response.

Go to YouTube search powerfactorshow they have a series of videos that cover a wide variety of 2011's, 1911's, IDPA, USPSA and much more gear for beginners.

As for 2011 companies STI or SVI for factory guns. STI is more of a typical production/semi custom firearm company. SVI is production/manufacturing yet full custom build company, different business model than any other firearms company I know of.

Then there is a long list of custom builder gunsmiths. Use various parts from various companies to build custom firearms based off of the STI 2011 frame.

Brazos, Cheely, Akai, Millenium, Freedom, Cameron's, Predator Tactical, Triangle Shooting Sports, the list is long.

Brazos, Cheely, Akai, Millenium, Freedom, Cameron's, Predator Tactical, Triangle Shooting Sports, the list is long.

So are the waiting lists for the top guys, so don't delay :)

Edited by ummm

Great information here guys..

The reason I asked was I just am not familiar with a lot of 2011 stuff and was curious as to what you all had to say

Thanks!

Either way, you cant go wrong. You might find the fatness of the 2011 a bit much at first, but you'll get used to it. I was single stack only for the 1st 4 years of USPSA competitions and I just recently started shooting STI double stack. Dawson and Brazos are both well known for high end 2011's. Good luck to you.

I've been only shooting my local USPSA event for the past few months, and until now, have been shooting Limited Major and Limited Ten with either an XD .45 or my Sig 229 .40.

I preferred the ability to shoot with extended mags that Limited Major afforded me. The XD was my Limited gun and I have 5 16 rnd mags for it. It was good enough to use while I learned how to be safe, how to navigate a course, and become comfortable with mag changes etc. That said.... I just bought my first race gun. A Dawson Precision Super Tuned Edge 2011. I now have four 20 rnd mags, and a gun that is designed to compete in the class that I shoot in. It is not a gun I could use for IDPA or any other competition that I know of.

I enjoy shooting, have no real aspirations of becoming a champion, and really just wanted the best opportunity to compete with the guys I see at my local shoot each month. I bought the gun gently used and saved a considerable amount of dough. Now that I have the equipment, it's all up to me to improve. I guess the most important point I'm trying to make is that unless you have tons of cash to spend, really figure out what you want to compete in, know the limitations of each setup, and figure out your goals for the future. And if you're patient and buy it right, you can even make money on the resale end if you decide it wasn't the right equipment for what you intended to accomplish.

THE EDGE IS DROP DEAD SEXY AND I LOVE IT!!!! There, I said it. Buy one.

• 4 weeks later...

Mr. Scott Steele,

Think you forgot PARA.

I believe they made the first and exported to Texas, where Tripp and others got hands on and a "lil" more history took place. Check it out! LOL !

Perry

One other thing that seems to have been overlooked.... 2011's are primarily .40 cal guns when used in Limited, where as your 1911 is typically a .45. Now, IF you're trying to talk yourself into this because of fiscal constraints, think about how much money you'll save in the long run going from .45 ammo to .40. Depending on how many rounds you shoot in a year, the gun can nearly pay for itself :devil:

Edited by Lifeislarge

• 2 weeks later...

One other thing that seems to have been overlooked.... 2011's are primarily .40 cal guns when used in Limited, where as your 1911 is typically a .45. Now, IF you're trying to talk yourself into this because of fiscal constraints, think about how much money you'll save in the long run going from .45 ammo to .40. Depending on how many rounds you shoot in a year, the gun can nearly pay for itself :devil:

Not sure how popular they are but they do make 2011s in 45 and 9mm. 38 super and 9mm is popular in open guns. I've thought about getting a 2011 in 45 because using lead bullets it almost as cheap to load a .45 as a .40.

Just my .02

• 2 weeks later...