Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ballistics Software for .223 69gr and 77gr ?

Marv Z

I'm looking for the ballistics software or charts for Sierra Matchkings 69 and 77's. Sierra sells there software for 39.95, but I figured someone here must know of something better or cheaper. Thanks!!!!

I've used JBM quite a bit, lots of bullets already in the program, including the ones you listed, it's easy to use and lots of options. All you need is the speed, sight height and zero distance. I like that I can change the output to Mils, MOA or inches quickly and it is very user friendly.

Doug

Kyle Lamb's book "Green eyes & Black rifles" has charts for Match King 77gr., also M855 (green tip), Federal 62 gr. bonded and XM 193 55 gr. I know this isn't software, but if you know someone with the book ....... Slight drift here, but if you want to squeeze everything out of your AR, this book has lots of good info (malfunctions, strong shooting positions, etc.), written by a pro with Serious street cred.

I like the Sierra Infinity 6 program. You can change every environmental variable (wind, temp., humidity, barometer, etc.), velocity, sight-to-boreline height, etc. And it can publish its data in MOA, not just inches. It also has a huge database of bullets from most manufacturers, not just theirs.

As long as you can chrono the ammo, it is darn close to on. I've checked my data out to 600 and all the "come-ups" were accurate.

• 2 months later...

That's a great place to start. You can run a set of charts for different loads and conditions and that will give you a good place to start.

BUT, no ballistic program is a substitute for field data (DOPE). Your ammo in your rifle is never going to follow the same theoretical mathematical curve that a ballistics program is going to give you.

Besides, you still have to determine how to use your scope for the proper hold overs. So even if you have a good curve you still need field work to fine tune it.

• 4 months later...

I've found both Strelok and Bulletflight Level 2 to be good software on my iPhone5. They both give very similar results, and have some slight strengths and weaknesses between them (which is why I still use both sometimes). I've found some interesting things about my muzzle velocity by correlating my actual DOPE tables back to the ballistic solver.....