Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Different Colored Poppers

lef-t

So I know that you could paint a popper any single color you want, but do all the poppers on a stage have to be the same color? For example could there be a set of 3 poppers, one red, one white, and one blue?

I'm thinking of getting festive for the 4th.

Here's the rule. It seems open to a little interpretation. As long as each target is a single color I can't see anything wrong with it.

4.1.2.2 The entire front of scoring metal targets must be painted a single color, preferably white.

I have done something similar in the past, and the only complaint I got was from the open shooters saying very difficult to find the dot on the red poppers, I was shooting open also, and had no problems, but I can see how the time of day and factor the sunglare might oppose a challenge, but I say go for it.

I have done something similar in the past, and the only complaint I got was from the open shooters saying very difficult to find the dot on the red poppers, I was shooting open also, and had no problems, but I can see how the time of day and factor the sunglare might oppose a challenge, but I say go for it.

oooooh that gives me an idea :devil:

Dont know about the oficial rules but I shot a match at West Point earlier this year that had a Wirly-Gig and each plate was painted a different color. The last plate you shot became your color. You then moved to a different box with 20 steel plates representing 4 of each of the five colors on the wirly-gig. you had to shoot all but your color. Lots of fun on that stage.

Dont know if this helps but would be a fun stage to reproduce.

oooooh that gives me an idea :devil:

Haha, paint all the poppers red!

Dont know about the oficial rules but I shot a match at West Point earlier this year that had a Wirly-Gig and each plate was painted a different color. The last plate you shot became your color. You then moved to a different box with 20 steel plates representing 4 of each of the five colors on the wirly-gig. you had to shoot all but your color. Lots of fun on that stage.

That does sound like an awesome stage!

I would not have shot the stage as I consider it an illegal stage as it violates 1.1.5 and 1.1.5.1. I am not color blind but after reading some color charts I think this would constitute an unfair disadvange to a color blind shooter. Rule 1.1.5.1 is not a blanket authority for a Level I match director to do anything they please

Stage designers need to stop the gimmicky crap and start designing shooting challenges.

Thats unfortunate because it was an awesome stage you would have missed out on. Keep in mind that this was put on by West Point Combat team at a charity event. There drills are designed to test your shooting skills as well as your mental skills. Every stage had a twist that made you either remember a color or perform a task. What I left out was that that same stage started out by you throwing a training grenade into a large square on the ground then crawling through a barbed wire tunnel before ever even getting to the first shooting box.

Another stage required you to wear a 25lb pack and run with two full 5 gallon water jugs before engaging targets from 100-425 yards...oh yeah that stage started with you shooting an m249 Saw in full auto.

With that it would have been your choice to sit out that stage.

Sorry for hijacking your thread lef-t. was just trying to give you ideas.

LeRoy, the match at West Point is not a USPSA match. It is essentially an outlaw multi or 3-gun match. Having to remember which target is the one you don't shoot on the fly is a shooting challenge. Actually this is maybe the one place that I think IDPA has it over USPSA/IPSC, they use all the same color targets with the non-threat or penalty targets being marked with a visual indicator. In USPSA/IPSC we just strive not to shoot the white targets. Having to make snap recognition of targets is a skill that has its place in our sport.

My opinion.

LeRoy, the match at West Point is not a USPSA match. It is essentially an outlaw multi or 3-gun match. Having to remember which target is the one you don't shoot on the fly is a shooting challenge. Actually this is maybe the one place that I think IDPA has it over USPSA/IPSC, they use all the same color targets with the non-threat or penalty targets being marked with a visual indicator. In USPSA/IPSC we just strive not to shoot the white targets. Having to make snap recognition of targets is a skill that has its place in our sport.

My opinion.

Thats unfortunate because it was an awesome stage you would have missed out on. Keep in mind that this was put on by West Point Combat team at a charity event. There drills are designed to test your shooting skills as well as your mental skills. Every stage had a twist that made you either remember a color or perform a task. What I left out was that that same stage started out by you throwing a training grenade into a large square on the ground then crawling through a barbed wire tunnel before ever even getting to the first shooting box.

Another stage required you to wear a 25lb pack and run with two full 5 gallon water jugs before engaging targets from 100-425 yards...oh yeah that stage started with you shooting an m249 Saw in full auto.

With that it would have been your choice to sit out that stage.

Sorry, I did not consider the concept that it might not be a USPSA match since it was in the USPSA rule forum. My bad

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago (late 80s/early 90's), red primer became the popular paint to use on steel because you got absolute coverage with minimum paint. Just a quick spray returned the popper to as-new, as opposed to white that won't cover anything.

When dots became popular, that went away. The Open guys just couldn't see their dots against 'em....

(Let's all give a collective, "Awwwwwwww........Darn!")

:sight:

Edited by Braxton1

I've never had trouble seeing my dot against red-painted steel. That C-More dial goes to 11 for a reason!

Plain black iron sights against black-painted steel on the other hand...

Edited by MoNsTeR