Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pinching from my beavertail

amish_rabbi

I have a basically stock STI spartan that i'm competing with currently and im finding that the web between my thumb and trigger finger is getting really beat up when I shoot (peeling, blisters, lost skin, ect). The gun is new to me so im not sure why it happening, could it be that i just need a better fit beavertail? there is some gap and i assume that is what it causing it.

pic of the gun for reference

205301_798226671397_441774724_a.jpg

Had the same problem with my EDGE it chewed up my hand the same way, so I sent it to my gun smith to smooth out the sharp corners and replaced the grip safety with a Ed Brown. Of course I had to get the gun refinished after that but I was also getting other work done to the gun. I think the spartan comes with a parkarized finish on it so it might not cost alot to refinish it.

You mention that the gun is new to you so maybe it's a case of developing the callouses in the right spots :devil:

Seriously, check the gun. With the GS depressed, run a finger along the seam between the GS and the frame. If you feel any ridge or difference in the height between the two surfaces, those are the areas that are the likely cause of your hot spots. Sometimes those can be blended better and sometimes a new GS is required.

You can take it to a 'smith or you can DIY depending on your comfort level of working on your own stuff.

Also, check the thumb safety to see if there is sharp edge at the juncture of the cross pin and the side panel. This should not be a rough area, but there needs to be some meat there to prevent a weak spot at the location. Go too thin and the possibility of a crack becomes likely. I've developed a small callous at this spot (base of the thumb just before the web) even though the fit and finish of the gun is as perfect as it can be.

the fit is decent (for what the gun costs) but I could take some paper to it and smooth out some of the small inconsistancies, but there are also the large gaps between beavertail and frame. obviously this is to reduce fitting time at the factory but is it the gaps or the slightly out of wack edges that are the issue?

the fit is decent (for what the gun costs) but I could take some paper to it and smooth out some of the small inconsistancies, but there are also the large gaps between beavertail and frame. obviously this is to reduce fitting time at the factory but is it the gaps or the slightly out of wack edges that are the issue?

Yep - gaps are just as bad as high spots. What happens is the skin in the area tries to fill the voids and then when you fire the gun, it can't help but rub you the wrong way.

Unfortunately with gaps, you're probably looking at fitting a new grip safety if you want to fill those gaps.

I had the same issue.

The factory STI beavertail is horrible for my hands. I had the same pain you speak of.

I have a great local gunsmith who was able to blend an Ed Brown beavertail into my frame WITHOUT having to touch the frame (which is already hard chromed). It came out great!

I attached pictures to show the before and after.

post-27031-0-44110100-1339731318_thumb.j

post-27031-0-42135200-1339731349_thumb.j

Edited by JaeOne3345

Looks great, hope you paid that smith well. I also had the same issue with my factory EDGE on the STI grip safety thumb knuckle area. I hated it and also replaced with a ED Brown. I had to refinish though I had other work done to the gun.

Looks great, hope you paid that smith well. I also had the same issue with my factory EDGE on the STI grip safety thumb knuckle area. I hated it and also replaced with a ED Brown. I had to refinish though I had other work done to the gun.

Definitely. He runs my weekly local match as well so I see him often. Always takes care of me. Gonna have him build an open gun for me in the next few months! I'm loyal! LOL

The fit of beavertail to frame on my Spartan IV was bad to the point it was dragging on the frame on one side and has a gap on the other. There were also some sharp points near the hinge area. The frame cut was not very good. A little work with a file solved the problems. The gap doesn't really bother me with the light recoil of the 9mm.

• 4 months later...

Are you sure it's the Beavertail. I've had some issues with the Thumb Safety overhanging the back of the frame when the Safety is in the firing position. Even if it's flush with the back of the frame if it's sharp, raised too much or rough it can abrade side of the web of your thumb enough to hurt.

I had the same issue.

The factory STI beavertail is horrible for my hands. I had the same pain you speak of.

I have a great local gunsmith who was able to blend an Ed Brown beavertail into my frame WITHOUT having to touch the frame (which is already hard chromed). It came out great!

I attached pictures to show the before and after.

post-27031-0-44110100-1339731318_thumb.j

post-27031-0-42135200-1339731349_thumb.j

This.

STI grip-safeties are downright painful for me, Ed Brown w/ memory bump is a must for my hands (they usually drop right in too, you only really need to fit where it engages/disengages the back of the trigger bow).