Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FO rod size on the M&P Pro 9

jualdeaux

I may still have a piece laying around if you want me to look.

Thanks, but I already ordered 3 pieces. I've never done this before so I made sure I would have enough in case I screwed up the first one. And if I don't, I will have plenty of extras to put in the range bag.

If you shoot enough you will want to replace the rod every so often. They get dim without you really noticing it until you compare it to a new piece. I cut some pieces to the appropriate length and put them and a lighter, crazy glue, etc in my tool kit in the range bag. They have a way of falling out at the worst times so I put a touch of crazy glue under the rod where it lays on the sight. Keeps them from flying off when they break in the middle of a match.

Solvents make them dim as well.

OK. I have another question. What device do you use to melt the ends of the rods with? I'd like it to be small enough to throw in the range bag. Any recommendations?

Bic lighter

I'm interested in hearing how these work out for you. I bought a bunch of 1.5mm from another company and was using a lighter to melt both ends. I don't know if there is any difference between these and true .60 but I was blowing through rods left and right. Almost never fails to happen at a key part of a match too. I now crazy glue them in to hold them in place.

I bought a load of 1.5mm fiber optic rod from Fiber Optics Products. Way cheaper than other soruces, fits well and looks like factory.

I'm interested in hearing how these work out for you. I bought a bunch of 1.5mm from another company and was using a lighter to melt both ends. I don't know if there is any difference between these and true .60 but I was blowing through rods left and right. Almost never fails to happen at a key part of a match too. I now crazy glue them in to hold them in place.

I bought a load of 1.5mm fiber optic rod from Fiber Optics Products. Way cheaper than other soruces, fits well and looks like factory.

I don't use crazy glue, so my rod breaks once or twice a year. Happens whether I use the 1.5mm fibers from FOP or the 0.06" fibers sold for firearm sights... I'm quite sure they are the same. Not the end of the world when they break, of course, and easily fixed in a few minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...