Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR x39

stinsonbeach

Situation:

Bought a 7.62x39 upper.

Used lower w/ JP yellow springs - no joy!

Changed the hammer spring to red - no joy!

Changed the hammer spring to stock - 7 out of 40 "bang".

The trigger pull went from sub-4# to ++7#'s w/ only 7 our of 40 - bad trade off.

Took all the "no joy" rds & ran them thru my stock AK - 100% "bang'.

The no-bang rds LOOKED as if the firing pin was hitting hard enough, but obviously not.

First I want them to go off, of course.

Second I DON'T want a +7# trigger.

Help!

-jb

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a modified firing pin avaiable or I have seen people modify it themselves. Basically they are taking some metal off the front of the front face of the stop shoulder so it protrudes from the bolt face a little bit more.

Sorry I can't remember who was selling one already converted, MGI?

Neal in AZ

There is a modified firing pin avaiable or I have seen people modify it themselves. Basically they are taking some metal off the front of the front face of the stop shoulder so it protrudes from the bolt face a little bit more.

Sorry I can't remember who was selling one already converted, MGI?

Neal in AZ

Neil -

I had thought that myself but didn't know how to go about it. Now that you say it, it shouldn't be too hard to modify as not much needs to be done.

I had a .45 that gave me fits for no reason & it was fixed w/ an extended FP.

If you happen to remember who sells a modified FP please let me know.

Thanks,

-jb

I also have an AR in 7.62X39.

It is a complete gun though, and runs 100% with American Eagle brass cased ammo.

i too have heard of the same fix for the firing pin to get X39 AR's to run.

Just curious, whose mags are you using?

You can modify the firing pin with a drill and sandpaper or emery cloth. Chuck the firing pin in your drill and hold the emery cloth against the FP with your thumb and forefinger. Turn it down a little at a time until it protrudes slightly more than the stock FP. Take your time turning it down.

i have 3 7.62 ar's. they run perfectly. u need to buy a extended f/p from model 1 sales in white wright TEXAS. they run perfectly. never had a misfire after installation in 700-800 Rd's.

use asc mags also had some old c-products they work also but the new 1s are nicer get them form brian at aim in dayton ohio. i buy all my ammo from them.

not pimping a product but if u cant find them call me. i have a ton of them.

primers is not the issue. how do i know?? because i found a case of the green box norinco 7.62 in my ware house and have been shooting it all year.

colt 16 h-bar

yhm 14.5 welded m/bk

yhm factory 11.5" sbr on paper also runs perfectly

Steve Hornaday sent me 200 rds of ak ammo and we get 1-1/2" groups at 50 yds with an aimpoint

hope this helps. if u need more email me at company do not leave an message here dont come here often

jjw

b.l. Farley

www.odspec.com

blf@odspec.com

I also have an AR in 7.62X39.

It is a complete gun though, and runs 100% with American Eagle brass cased ammo.

i too have heard of the same fix for the firing pin to get X39 AR's to run.

Just curious, whose mags are you using?

I'm using ASC mags.

On that rare - very - occasion it did light-off, it cycled & fed perfectly.

I'm a steel mag guy. They are light, cheap & work all the time. I've never had one not work. Ever....in any caliber....in any rifle.

-jb

The problem isn't your gun, it's your rooskie primers. :D

Yeah, that's probably part of the problem. You need a hammer to set them off.

My AK is such a hammer!

Thing is though, I want to shoot cheap Wolf rds. No sense using custom rds in a freekin' hybrid AK!

-jb

You can modify the firing pin with a drill and sandpaper or emery cloth. Chuck the firing pin in your drill and hold the emery cloth against the FP with your thumb and forefinger. Turn it down a little at a time until it protrudes slightly more than the stock FP. Take your time turning it down.

Thanks C, but as you know my only problem will be "Take your time..."!!!

I'll let you know how it turns out but don't know when I'm going to get to it...lots on the plate this week.

-jb

i have 3 7.62 ar's. they run perfectly. u need to buy a extended f/p from model 1 sales in white wright TEXAS. they run perfectly. never had a misfire after installation in 700-800 Rd's.

*** ahhh, thank you - that is exactly what I've been looking for!

use asc mags also had some old c-products they work also but the new 1s are nicer get them form brian at aim in dayton ohio. i buy all my ammo from them.

not pimping a product but if u cant find them call me. i have a ton of them.

*** yeah ASC mags are my favorites - see above.

primers is not the issue. how do i know?? because i found a case of the green box norinco 7.62 in my ware house and have been shooting it all year.

colt 16 h-bar

yhm 14.5 welded m/bk

yhm factory 11.5" sbr on paper also runs perfectly

Steve Hornaday sent me 200 rds of ak ammo and we get 1-1/2" groups at 50 yds with an aimpoint

hope this helps. if u need more email me at company do not leave an message here dont come here often

*** it sure does. As soon as I send this I'm off to Model 1.

Thanks again,

-jb

jjw

b.l. Farley

www.odspec.com

blf@odspec.com

My first AR was a 7.62x39. It's too many years ago now to remember which brands were which, but of the 3-4 imported types available at the time, the best of them would fire 50/50. The worst was 100% misfire, Id stick those once misfired rounds in my SKS and they'd go off just fine. :wacko: "Back then" I was S.O.L. , today it's an easy work around.

On my Colt AR-15 7.62x39 upper with Wolff ammo it says only click but reloaded ammo with CCI primers it says always bang. :)

I do get that - but am hoping that the new FP will solve the problem.

I can't quite see myself re-loading .20-.30 cents / rd ammo...but I am glad (poor choice of words!) to hear you had the same problem w/ Wolf.

-jb

My first AR was a 7.62x39. It's too many years ago now to remember which brands were which, but of the 3-4 imported types available at the time, the best of them would fire 50/50. The worst was 100% misfire, Id stick those once misfired rounds in my SKS and they'd go off just fine. :wacko: "Back then" I was S.O.L. , today it's an easy work around.

I'm sorry you had problems, but I'm glad that everyone seems to agree it's the ammo.

I truly hope the $20 FP solves the problem as I'm sure there are lots of people out there wondering what's wrong & how to fix it!!!

...& you can be sure I'll let you know how it turns out.

-jb

Edited by stinsonbeach

Eureka!!!

Problem solved thanks to "jjw"!

The problem was the firing pin!

Dropped in the new firing pin - Enhanced FP part # UAB100762 at Modle1Sales.com http://model1sales.c...category_id=421

Took it to the range & "bang" each & every time even w/ the rounds that refused first time around.

Problem solved for $20!

I'm going to get a spare.

Hope this helps everyone w/ the same issues.

Never touched the ammo except to load my mags!

-jb

Edited by stinsonbeach

just curious if anybody else reloads the 7.62X39R???

I started a thread on it here:

http://www.brianenos...1

*** was going to but at 20-30 cents / rd didn't make any sense.

BUT just went to the range to see if I could get a light trigger & still set of the Berden primers - NOPE!

Got a new firing pin - see above - & it worked great w/ stock hammer spring but brutal pull.

Changed back to yellow-yellow JP springs that set off my .223 & 9mm just fine. Nada.

I'm going to try a red-yellow JP combo & one of my Timney lowers - stay tuned.

The reason for the above is I wasn't going to reload them but if I can't get anything but a stock hammer spring to set them off I might have to simply for the primers.

We'll see...back to the range tomorrow.

The saga continues.

-jb

BUT just went to the range to see if I could get a light trigger & still set of the Berden primers - NOPE!

Got a new firing pin - see above - & it worked great w/ stock hammer spring but brutal pull.

Changed back to yellow-yellow JP springs that set off my .223 & 9mm just fine. Nada.

The reason for the above is I wasn't going to reload them but if I can't get anything but a stock hammer spring to set them off I might have to simply for the primers.

The saga continues.

-jb

Just thinking out loud but, I wonder if changing the wt of the hammer would make a difference. The JP hammer is quite a bit lighter than the stock hammer in the .223 ______ F = MxV(squared) and so, a lighter hammer should accelerate faster. Faster hammer = harder hit?

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

The saga continues.

-jb

Just thinking out loud but, I wonder if changing the wt of the hammer would make a difference. The JP hammer is quite a bit lighter than the stock hammer in the .223 ______ F = MxV(squared) and so, a lighter hammer should accelerate faster. Faster hammer = harder hit?

*** exactly so - except not only does it work w/ stock springs - it is the stock hammer...only the springs are JP.

Had trouble w/ a lightened hammer w/ .22's so I learned my lesson. .22's are a "no nonsense" hammer strike!!!

Stock hammer is fine. I've taken all my "boutique" hammers & sold them. Doesn't make that much difference in trigger weight & too sketchy w/ different rounds & loads.

Tomorrow I'm going to try the JP red-yellow combo & a Timney

I'll let you know.

-jb

ps keep those ideas coming!

Edited by stinsonbeach