Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR- brass ejecting slightly forward

modex

When I first started shooting the rifle, the brass would eject back and to the right as expected. After a few cleanings, I am noticing that the brass ejects straight out to the right.. maybe even slightly forward.. It's hard to tell.

It is a PSA upper and BCG. I clean the ejector pin by putting a drop of CLP on it, then pressing up and down on it with a spent case. Is there a better way to clean that?

All ideas are welcome.

When I first started shooting the rifle, the brass would eject back and to the right as expected. After a few cleanings, I am noticing that the brass ejects straight out to the right.. maybe even slightly forward.. It's hard to tell.

It is a PSA upper and BCG. I clean the ejector pin by putting a drop of CLP on it, then pressing up and down on it with a spent case. Is there a better way to clean that?

All ideas are welcome.

Why is this a problem?

Brass ejection location is usually based on gas. As you shot the gun, the tolerances probably loosened up and now there is less resistance for the same volume of gas

It was just weird that it started out ejecting at around 4 o'clock and now it's more like 2 or 3. I didn't know if it was an indication of improper bolt cleaning or something. My buddy has a few ARs and they all eject between 4 and 5.

As you break your gun in, the contacts smoothen, and this increases your cyclic rate. What weight buffer are you running? I'd suggest bringing it up one weight (Carbine>H or H>H2, etc)

The cons to being overgassed is premature wear on the parts, and bolt bounce, which could lead to some out of battery issues, etc. I'd keep an eye, but right now with 3 to 2:30 ejection it's nothing to be terribly alarmed about.

What BCG are you running (Semi or FA)?

Going heavier with the buffer or BCG could be all you need.

Mine doesn't kick brass to 4 or 5. More like 3. If it's spittin brass out, it's working. And yes there is a better way to clean the ejector. Take the bolt out of the carrier. Squeeze the ejector and push the pin out that the ejector hinges on. There is a small spring and spring insert in the hole behind the ejector. Normally I don't pull the whole ejector. I shoot low volume with the rifle, maybe it would be needed if I put more rounds through it regularly. Be concerned if the rifle starts Failing To Eject or Extract, then you have a problem.

As you break your gun in, the contacts smoothen, and this increases your cyclic rate. What weight buffer are you running? I'd suggest bringing it up one weight (Carbine>H or H>H2, etc)

The cons to being overgassed is premature wear on the parts, and bolt bounce, which could lead to some out of battery issues, etc. I'd keep an eye, but right now with 3 to 2:30 ejection it's nothing to be terribly alarmed about.

What BCG are you running (Semi or FA)?

Going heavier with the buffer or BCG could be all you need.

I have a carbine buffer.. maybe I'll try a heavy one. Someone else suggested that as well.

I believe the BCG has the full auto cuts in it. I got it from PSA.