Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vest

okorpheus

Anyone here use the Armadillo Concealment Vests?

Not yet, but I have ordered one. They look pretty slick and the Sells are good folks and hardcore shooters, so they know what works. I'll update when I get it.

I just got my armadillo concealment vest two months ago and have used it in two IDPA matches thus far. Absolutely love it, great vest and worth the price and wait time.

Thanks for the update. I am really thinking about ordering one...Looks like I may have to come off the funds to do so.

Armadillo concealment out of Texas. Custom made to order by Becky Sells, who is an avid IDPA shooter. You can enter your measurements on her website, and she will make one to fit. A lot of different materials and options to choose from, including embroidered logos. Google "armadillo concealment" for mor info.

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks ago I got a Cabela's Safari Vest

It has a mesh back. Any movement creates a nice breeze.

It was on sale.

It is cut a little roomy if you need that. (I don't anymore, recently lost 30 pounds :D )

The side pulls help keep the sides back. I've safety pinned the folds of the extra material so they don't get in the way. I'll sew it to fit just right once I get a feel for the vest.

There are four lower pockets on each side which means 6 layers of fabric that could be starched. Not that I'm thinking of gaming. No one does that in IDPA :devil:

Other than it isn't on sale right now I recommend getting one.

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

The armadillo units look pretty nice.

Anybody got one of these? They look like a heck of a vest!

I just used mine for the first time in a match this past weekend. It is pretty sweet. Good heavyweight material, swings well and doesn't snag on holsters or magwells. They are kinda spendy, but worth it, truly custom made and custom fit. Lots of embroidery options. Had the AL state flag put on mine. If you don't mind spending $100+ for a vest, go for it.

• 3 weeks later...

I use the same old unoriginal 5.11 vest. It definitely gets hot during summer days down here in SC. We usually take ours off between stages. The trick is remembering to put it back on before shooting your next stage and not incurring a penalty.

At the end of the day, anything stiffer than a regular shirt should serve the purpose. I wore a denim shirt with the sleeves cut off this weekend b/c I knew I would be sweating like crazy in the humidity and didn't want to have to wash one of my vests again. No problems; didn't even notice any difference between it and using one of my vests. Wouldn't for a major, but local it's better than washing and ironing.

Another consideration I haven't seen here is what gun you are shooting. With bottom feeders, the pockets don't matter during a stage. I still use the khaki 511 vest I bought when I started in IDPA, for reasons already mentioned in this thread. Although I lost the velcro panels long ago. Getting a little ragged around the collar, but otherwise good to go.

For revolver, you often have the potential to need to do a RWR. The 511 doesn't have a good pocket for that. When shooting revolver, I use an Eotac, which has big, open pockets as an option, or one of the custom vests that I have accumulated over the years. Think about this before buying a new vest.

If I was looking for a vest, I would take a serious look at the Armadillos. As said, they are very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here use the Armadillo Concealment Vests?

Not yet, but I have ordered one. They look pretty slick and the Sells are good folks and hardcore shooters, so they know what works. I'll update when I get it.

I just got my armadillo concealment vest two months ago and have used it in two IDPA matches thus far. Absolutely love it, great vest and worth the price and wait time.

Yes, i use Armadillo Concealment vests and love them. They are fitted to your body through measurements, instead of one size fits all. Has your name on it and everything. Many of the top shooters use them, like Gordon Carrell and Morgan Allen. Its hard to argue success!

Edited by ckeller

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks! I was considering cutting (or rolling) sleeves on the denim shirt, but wanted pockets and it never occurred to me to consider the BDU shirt!

I have been using a 'cut-off' BDU shirt I bought from a surplus store for $5 for two years now. Works like a charm, plus the big pockets are great for retaining partial mags quickly.