Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

accuracy from field positions

bigbrowndog

This question is for those of you that actually shoot from positions other than prone from a firing line and from a bench.

what level of accuracy can you honestly and consistently hold/shoot beyond 300yds from field positions like braced over a log or prone on uneven terrain, or off your bipod after having trekked to your shooting position, under time constraints. In other words do you know what you can do in competition, or do you have reasonable expectations of what you can do.

please provide the info in MOA's

For me I'm working on <1.5moa out to 800yds, beyond that there are too many variables working against me and my current skill level.

Just wondering????

trapr

I don't shoot groups from the goofy positions, in a match hits are hits and misses are misses, so I can't give you a group size, most precision rifle matches the targets are 1 MOA at any distance, if this is the type of matches your interested in I suggest 1 dot drills, and 2 lots of dry firing. I also suggest you attend a training course, may I suggest Rifles Only in Kingsville TEXAS, Jacob is a master, he has the gift of teaching, not cheap but worth more than the price, also if this type of shooting is your game none nil nota of the winners use MOA, MILs rule this type of shooting.

I will admit I've missed alot of 3 MOA + shots, from off people's shoulders, off atvs, tied to trees, from fence posts, from tree branches, out of chicken house windows, or just sitting. I haven't done much travelling for precision matches, but I've shot the ASC in WV a few times and this has been my experience from that match. I would guess that if you are consistent 75%+ or something 3MOA or under shooting crazy postions in conditions, you will be way ahead of the curve.

Thanks Seth and Tom thats the type feedback I was looking for, Cobra I realize we don't normally shoot groups from those positions but how often do you miss a 1moa target from those positions?? as for training and what method or gear winners use, thats another subject all together.

Trapr

Tom and Trapr, those are terrible numbers, you should probably take 4 or 5 classes, and all next week... :eatdrink:

Trapr, I'll give you the metrics I have, but they are not all in competition...

Bolt Gun, .338-06, 300-500 yards after a hard half hour climb, if you give me 2 minutes, sitting with my pack in my lap, I can hold just at 1 MOA for a 3 shot group. Prone off the pack, no rest, I am at 2 MOA, usually I only shoot once though. This gun groups 3/8" at 100 yards for 5 rounds.

Competition AR-15 (groups .5" at 100 yards off the bench) at 300 yards after a 20 yard sprint: rollover prone - 6 MOA, Prone - 3 MOA, Sitting - 2.5 MOA, standing off a solid tri-pod and through a solid port in a barricade I can usually get 1.5 MOA. That is with splits of about 2 seconds. 500 yards prone or sitting is 2 MOA with a solid rest for my handguard and splits going to about 3 seconds.

I guess I have a good set of metrics at 100 and 200 yards, but not many past 300 yards with the AR, and none with a bi-pod.

Hey Trap......

Take it from an old Benchrest guy thats shot 3gun, NRA small bore and NRA high power.

All you really need to know is what your rifle can do (and hold overs). Everything else is a crap shoot for the most part. KNOWING that if you put your sights in the propper place at the time you touch off the trigger that the rifle is going to do it's job is what you really need have your confidence put into.

You put yourself in the steadiest, most comfortable position for the target to be engaged...control your breathing and focus. And when you are looking thru your sights....KNOWING your rifle will do it's job, all you need to do is focus on the job at hand.

Don't work too much into and drive on.

At CMMG.....I knew my rifle with the iron sights was capable and I knew my hold overs....it was going to put the shot where I put the sights at the time I squeezed the trigger. I did just fine out to 240, then I missed alot at 300yds....my fault, I was looking over my glasses. Once I looked thru my glasses.....i went 1 for 1 on the 300yd targets. Swung over to the 400yd target. Took a breath, got my sight picture....pulled trigger. miss!!....got it on the second shot. Now if I had'nt screwed up the shotgun and pistol part, I would have done alright on that stage.

I've shot a lot in my life out at long distance.....never worried once about what kind of groups I could shoot, unless it was for a long distance Bench rest competion. All I've ever cared about is KNOWING that my rifle was capable. The rest, baby....is cone of fire!! :roflol:

Everything else is great theory that will only serve to confuse you for the job at hand.

And just an FYI....guestimating hold overs....is not a science, and the error in that alone can screw up more than a crappy position.

Tim

I only compete with the rifle from the standing position with no coats, gloves or slings allowed. Not bench, prone, sitting, kneeling or F-class. I have watched the best standing position shooters through a large spotting scope, spotted for and travelled with a fellow who I feel is one of the top 10 outdoor standing position shooters in the world. Just wish I could spot as good as he can shoot.

Just to give you an idea, the best and (there are only a few) can in calm conditions hold less than 2 MOA in the standing position. That's 5 shots in a 2 and 1/2 minute time limit. It takes a lot of work to achieve this. Most of these shooters go through 3 training sessions daily. One before work. One after work. That is if shooting the rifle is not their primary job. One at night indoors at 10 meters with the Air Rifle. Every one of them have at least one Olympic quality air rifle. Most of them are particular about what they eat and drink. Some are fitness fanatics. Others are blessed with a body type that works well with the standing position. Most of the training is dry-fire. Very little firing with live rounds.

Our rifles will hold less than a MOA at 100 meters but the darn things cost a fortune. I waited just a few days shy of 2 years to have the newest one built my builder is so busy.

Do a search engine for "Troy Lawton only perfect score standing highpower camp perry".

That search should turn up some interesting reads.

OP just wanted to know MOA in field positions but standing is the most difficult. If proficient at standing the other positions will come easy. Then if the wind will cooperate. :)

This question is for those of you that actually shoot from positions other than prone from a firing line and from a bench.

what level of accuracy can you honestly and consistently hold/shoot beyond 300yds from field positions like braced over a log or prone on uneven terrain, or off your bipod after having trekked to your shooting position, under time constraints. In other words do you know what you can do in competition, or do you have reasonable expectations of what you can do.

please provide the info in MOA's

For me I'm working on <1.5moa out to 800yds, beyond that there are too many variables working against me and my current skill level.

do you already compete in the local monthly club matches (Texas Precision Rifle Club)?