Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Grand Master or Match Master

fowlh339

Up front thanks for any advise.

I am trying to decide between an STI Grand Master or Match Master in 9mm. I have shot limited for years and would like to get into open. I will be shooting a little of everything. USPSA, Multigun, Steel...

I was looking to have something built but the funds just dont work right now or the huge lead times. The $2700 price tag on the MatchMaster works but I could stretch the couple hundred to GM if needed. Any other recommendations in this range are welcome but must be in the 2011 form factor as I have been shooting the 1911 for years and like the grip angle. Tried a friends Glock and wasn't for me.

The extra money spent on the GM is just for looks. If you are set on a factory gun do the Trubor.

+1. I looked at both four years ago, bought the TruBor,

and love it (I have two of them now).

No reason to spend the extra bucks ... :cheers:

Dan Bedell builds a great open gun! I originally bought a Trubor because I didn't want to wait on a custom gun, problem was it didn't work. Considering the time it was in the shop, shipping, headaches etc. I would have saved myself money and time getting the Bedell first.

Edited by TwoShot

I have a Match Master in 38 super. The only thing I had done to it was the Dawson enhancement package. I have never had one issue that was related to the gun. All problems were ammo. After that was fixed the gun has flat out run. If you want a factory open gun, the only difference in the two is size. Do you want a full size or a shorty?

Thank you all for the advise. I decided to take the recommendation of BrianATL and purchased the custom gun that Matt Cheely has for sale on the forum.

Congrats! That was a nice blaster. And welcome to the dark side. :devil:

Thank you all for the advise. I decided to take the recommendation of BrianATL and purchased the custom gun that Matt Cheely has for sale on the forum.

Very smart move. Personally, I'd take Matt up on his offer of an CMore with the upright rather than sideways mount.

Congrats... That is a fine looking gun. I looked more than once at that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Up front thanks for any advise.

I am trying to decide between an STI Grand Master or Match Master in 9mm. I have shot limited for years and would like to get into open. I will be shooting a little of everything. USPSA, Multigun, Steel...

I was looking to have something built but the funds just dont work right now or the huge lead times. The $2700 price tag on the MatchMaster works but I could stretch the couple hundred to GM if needed. Any other recommendations in this range are welcome but must be in the 2011 form factor as I have been shooting the 1911 for years and like the grip angle. Tried a friends Glock and wasn't for me.

I've been looking for a new open gun as well... I've recieved alot of great advice here on the forums as far as what to grab. As far as your question I'd ditch both and go with a freedom gunworks open gun. I priced it out and with every option that I wanted I came in 200-300 bucks less than a factory grandmaster and only a couple hundred more than a trubor or matchmaster... His basic guns start at 2600 then you add some of the fun options you want taaadaa you've got a full on custom race gun for the price of a factory grandmaster!

Oh and while I do not have any personal experience with FGW guns I've been researching different custom gunsmiths for quite a while now and I've never heard anything but awesome reviews.

As soon as I can get the money together I'll be giving FGW a call. But thats just my two cents...

@MattYvip I ended up buying a custom STI open gun from Matt Cheely. One of the forum members pointed me to one of his adds on here and I scooped it up (great deal). Still sitting at FFL waiting for my paperwork from the Judge but my FFL guy said gun is awesome and trigger is great. I told him to stop fondling my girl :rolleyes:

Have a look at classifieds you would be surprised what you can find.

Very smart move. Personally, I'd take Matt up on his offer of an CMore with the upright rather than sideways mount.

+1

• 4 weeks later...

It really depends on your experience and shooting style. If you shoot super fast like someones chasin you then the shorter and lighter matchmaster is for you. But if you like to get your hits and dont mind a heavier gun then the trubor or grandmaster. You also might want to ask around to see if you could shoot different types of guns.

Edited by Xdmeister