Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First open gun?

lee blackman

I have no idea what I'm getting myself into. I've always wanted an open gun. This one came up about 5 hours from my house. I know SVI's are expensive and have a long wait time, but I also know that Open guns seem to get obsolete about as fast as the latest personal computer on the market. Today its the latest and greatest, tomorrow its a money pit like a classic muscle car in the garage... I don't know alot about this stuff. I just want some input from you guys with experience.

post-26153-0-01265700-1338354119_thumb.j

what caliber is the gun? price? also what is the round count, factory SVI or has it been worked on, any issues disclosed by the seller?

SV makes great pistols. if there are no issues, round count is not outrageous and the price is right then I say go for it.

Looks like a "shorty" .. ??

If so, do you want a shorty, or a full sized open gun?

What caliber is it? Do you want a 9mm major? or .38 super?

Looks like a missing grip screw?? If so, what else is missing.

Open guns no longer go out of style very quickly - the tech is

pretty good. I bought two STI TruBor's four years ago, and they're

still excellent guns.

But, is THIS gun the one you want? That's the question.

No more expensive to shoot 9mm major than 9mm minor IMHO - except

for price of gun and mags.

:cheers:

From my experience, a sideways C-more will help make the transition from irons to the dot easier, and if I had to do it again, I'd get a full size. Not to say you can't train yourself to shoot a top mount scope, or a shorty, but I think a full size with a sideways mount is the ticket. Just my humble opinions.

First thing you'll probably want to change is the thumb safety. About $60 for the part $50 bucks or so for the install

maybe more depending on what you want.

The screw that is missing doesn't effect anything. The lower screws are simply for looks, it is a simple fix.

It's SV's IMM series. Uses a 5 inch barrel with a little less than a 1/2 inch of thread. It is a custom recoil system that SV has been using on the midlength open guns and modified series. It's not harsh like a lot of shorties don't worry. This leads me to believe it is probably a factory build, which is good.

The upright Cmore is fine. Dry fire and practice will help with indexing. Sideways mounts are purely personal choice. Doesn't effect anything it's simply a practice/training issue.

Things to look for.

Slide to frame fit. Take the slide with one hand and the grip with the other. Move it from side to side and up and down. There shouldn't be much play. A little is ok, also shake the gun, make sure it doesn't sound like a babies rattle.

Next barrel fit. With the gun fully assembles push down on the hood of the barrel in the ejection port. Should be nice and tight. Next wiggle the comp, there will be a little play but it shouldn't be much.

Take the gun appart. Look at the upper locking lugs on the barrel and on the slide. There will be some wear, but it shouldn't look rounded or melted on the edges. Check for interal chips and cracks as well on the frame and slide while it is apart.

See if you can test fire it. If not, why not? If there is a good reason. If you feel it is a line of bull, walk away.

38 Super, Super Comp, 9 major? Lots of discussions on the forum about this so do some reading.

Hammer follow. If they will let you, which they may not, because it isn't the best for the gun, but a few times is fine. Drop the slide on an empty chamber. Cock it back with the racker and let it slam shut a few times. Didi the hammer drop to half cock.

Turn Cmore on. Does it work? Is glass cracked or chipped, it the mount solid?

Check the back of the comp and front of the slide. Any chips or cracks or wear from slapping into each other.

I have been the victim of two bad open guns. Which cost me a fortune to get rebuilt. I only wish I had know before what I was looking at. Just assume and expect to put $500 into the gun. You may not, but budget for it and if you don't have to pay for repairs :D

Gun should be about $2100-$2700. I wouldn't go much over that.

Hope this helps.

:cheers:

Its a 38super comp, don't know the round count. Original owner who steapled the grip himself but has a stock replacement with it. He said the gun was factory built, wasn't modified other than the grip thing. I know I'm going to want to change the mount so the lens of cmore is lower. And I like cookies :)

OperationHitFactor, i'm going to do your evaluation method on the gun before I commit to it. I really appreciate the detail and length you went to in your post reply. Like I said its my first rodeo with one of these and you guys help alot. Thank you all.

If you end up liking open, this won't be your last open gun. Shoot this one for a bit. See how it works for you. Eventually you'll come to the point where you know what you'll want out of your next open gun.

Its a 38super comp, don't know the round count. Original owner who steapled the grip himself but has a stock replacement with it. He said the gun was factory built, wasn't modified other than the grip thing. I know I'm going to want to change the mount so the lens of cmore is lower. And I like cookies :)

OperationHitFactor, i'm going to do your evaluation method on the gun before I commit to it. I really appreciate the detail and length you went to in your post reply. Like I said its my first rodeo with one of these and you guys help alot. Thank you all.

Cool man. If the guy says it is a factory SV and guessing by the design, It's a fairly safe bet it is. In that case I'm sure it will make for a great shooter. You'll probably want to change out that thumb safety to a wide ambi. Whoever had it built probably grew up with the GI series. As for the stipple job, it's an easy fix, put on one of the new SV signature grips B)

Keep the Cmore mount that is on it for a bit then try the sideways then try the standard again. The first open gun I bought came with the sideways mount and ended up with a serendipity after going back and forth a couple times. Pros and cons to both.

Quick tips

1. Get a bucket and a brass roller for picking up brass at matches.

2. Get a Tarp for practice to spread out next to you to collect practice brass.

3. Pick a load and stick with it. Seriously, I can't stress this enough, the dot rises, no matter what, don't go down the path of chasing the holy grail :goof: I'm guessing it has 3 or 4 hybrid holes. N105 is sweet out of 3 holes setups, 3N38 is great for 4 hole setups. Cheaper powders that work HS6 or 4756

Personally I like N350 for hybrid holes, but lots of people tell me I'm crazy. It's not as flat as some loads but makes it easier for me to call and time shots.

4. Dry fire, lots and lots of dry fire to help index. Mix it up, weak hand, strong hand, holster draws, running and stopping, low ready, high ready.

5. Notice the dot on the target, don't stare at the dot on the target.

6. Smile, Enjoy, and hit those alphas.

Later Dude

If you get the serial number, Call SV and ask if its a factory gun.

Mine, an old design, but in good shape - was, but some things had been "goobered" on it - took some money, but it's a pretty decent gun now.

As for the designs going out of date... Yes - my comp is no where near as effective as a current one, and my gun's too heavy - but until I stop getting beaten by limited shooters, I don't plan on worrying about it much.

i remember Robert De Niro on the movie Ronin saying " if there's a doubt then there's no doubt " , whoever starts renting open guns for shooters to decide if they like open guns is going to make a killing , if you have doubts then maybe its not your time yet , if you can borrow a gun first for couple of months and then see go ahead and do so

hope this helps

good luck

• 1 month later...

I have no idea what I'm getting myself into. I've always wanted an open gun. This one came up about 5 hours from my house. I know SVI's are expensive and have a long wait time, but I also know that Open guns seem to get obsolete about as fast as the latest personal computer on the market. Today its the latest and greatest, tomorrow its a money pit like a classic muscle car in the garage... I don't know alot about this stuff. I just want some input from you guys with experience.

The basic 2011 open gun does not get obsolete like phones or computers. New red dot mounts get invented, new slide cut designs, different comps, but the basic 38S or Major 9 is not going to change much.

An open gun can last a lifetime of shooting---you'll go through some barrels, but not the gun itself.