Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It's a nice thought, but all it is is one more thing for Brian to pay for and manage. If folks here want to chat online, why not set up a chat room via one of the numerous free chat services available? (Yahoo, MS, ICQ...)

If Rob has the capacity on USPSA (I'd suggest members only), that would be a good place for one.

Would I go? Probably not... Yahoo - definelty not.

I have put one up at www.uspsa.org/chat on a trial basis. There are two chatrooms pre-installed on that server - I've started with "phpchat" since it does not use a non-default port (non-default ports are often blocked by corporate firewalls). No, it is not costing USPSA anything extra - we currently sublet space on the server (cutting USPSA's costs to 1/3 of the server rental fee), and even with that, are using less than 10% of our allotted bandwidth.

It's not "members only" now, but may be later. I'm also considering re-writing the member info to use the per-user password from the Front Sight label as the signon.

It's not "members only" now, but may be later.

If it is members only (USPSA) how are our friends from Hong Kong, France, Italy, Netherlands, the rest of Europe, South America, Australia, etc. (IPSC) going to be able to join in?

From my post in a previous thread:

we discussed chat rooms on a couple of occasions in the past and decided against them ---- in large part because the current forum is searchable. If you want to find something that was discussed six months ago, you can ---- with chat rooms that stuff just disappears. A major reason that this board is so useful is that the knowledge amassed here is archived....

From my post in a previous thread:

we discussed chat rooms on a couple of occasions in the past and decided against them ---- in large part because the current forum is searchable. If you want to find something that was discussed six months ago, you can ---- with chat rooms that stuff just disappears. A major reason that this board is so useful is that the knowledge amassed here is archived....

True.

Imagine what a loss it would have been if we could no longer re-read the "toile paper" or "when the pants failed" topics if they were posted instead in the chat room. :D

Yes, we 'chatted' about this at length not too long ago...... it'd be just another free-for-all to manage, archive and/or pay for. The forum itself is so chatty, we figured we already had out 'chat room'.... :D