Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun choices

MattYvip

ok gents, I'm new to three gun and am trying to get set up. I've been shooting uspsa for a while so I have the pistol, I have a LMT tacticool rifle I can use but I don't have a shot gun... So I come to you all with a few options to see what you all have to say.

Option 1: Remington Versamax.

Option 2: Benelli m2

Option 3: FN SLP mark 1

Option 4: Mossberg 930 Jerry Miculek Pro.

I've priced them out and I gotta say I like the mossberg as far as that goes but I have ZERO experience with any of them. I'd like to get something that'll last and thats easy to upgrade (if needed the JM pro looks good to go out of box).

Any and all advice is welcome!

Edited by MattYvip

You probably have the 4 top options listed, and by luck or skill, probably put them in about the right order. If you are going to shoot a few local matches a year, not practice and just have fun, the 930JM is probably the best bet. Also a cheaper way in...

When you go to the SLP, you get a little more durability, a little better slug accuracy and a LOT more headaches in the first 1000 rounds or so. The recoil spring is good for 3" mags, so the light loads won't function well off the bat and changing it is a PITA. Once ironed out and made reliable, you will get a good life out of it. If you shoot several thousand rounds a year, you will need a new one after several years.

The M2 is lighter and recoils harder but it is more durable than the SLP and Mossberg. Many folks lighten the bolt and recoil spring to aid in the function of the lighter loads, and it appears to remain durable even with these mods.

Then you have the VM. Is there a reason many of the top shooters have (or are planning to) move to the VM? Because Daniel shoots one? Not likely. While I don't own one yet, there are a lot of features that make the VM desireable. Durability seems to be one of them (now that they have two little early production bobbles ironed out). As some are aware (by surprise or other means), the tactical VM is a 3" chamber and not a 3.5" chamber. Softer recoil, ability to function lower recoil rounds reliably and higher recoil rounds without undue wear...definate pluses of the VM to me. Add to that a simple operating system with no o-rings, pistons, etc. and you are getting somewhere better. Another big plus with the VM is fit. Unless you were the test dummy, the vast majority of shotguns won't fit you right. Once I finally fit my SLP to me properly, my scores went up, but it took some work and some trial and error plus a little session with a stock fitter to save time and parts expense. The VM...they took care of all that with a fairly decent range of adjustment in the stock. Is it the end all be all? No, but it looks closer than the others. If you add up the mods to make some of the others work and the cost per shell in terms of longevity...the VM might be the best buy. YMMV

Thanks for the good info! Any idea if remington plans to make a 3gun or competition version of the VM?

Versa-Max Tactical, 22" is what you would be looking at. 3" chamber.

I have an SLP. Have shot it all over for past 2 years. Shoots slugs great, rugged and reliable. Not bad price for an almost "Race Ready" gun. I plann to keep shooting it this season.

BUT, I wish I had an M2 or Versamax. They are so much lighter, and easier to weakhand load while keeping the gun mounted at your shoulder.

• 1 month later...

be sure to send your carrier off to C-rums to get it welded up. I should have my tactical in hand on Wednesday to supplement my 26" model.

Plans are to take it out to 9+1 capacity...

Mick

I finally picked up a versamax tactical today. Thanks again for all the advice. It's very much appreciated.

I have been very curious about the new Remington. I need to touch one and shoot it before I jump though. I always thought that the Winchester SX3 would have made a fine 3gunner in a 24" barrel. Winchester has the 24" barrels, but won't sell a model with it. Likewise, FN has the same 24" barrel and won't sell the SLP with it.

I have been very curious about the new Remington. I need to touch one and shoot it before I jump though.

Well if you ever shoot any matches in MT let me know and if I'm headed there I'll be happy to bring it by for your inspection.

@ michael1778 as soon as she gets in I'll be happy to post an honest review. I ordered her because the shop was out so it'll be a couple weeks yet before she gets in. I have a feeling with all the good reviews out there she's gonna be just fine.

I have been very curious about the new Remington. I need to touch one and shoot it before I jump though. I always thought that the Winchester SX3 would have made a fine 3gunner in a 24" barrel. Winchester has the 24" barrels, but won't sell a model with it. Likewise, FN has the same 24" barrel and won't sell the SLP with it.

I'm puzzled by that as well. Doesn't make sense to me.

Well if you ever shoot any matches in MT let me know and if I'm headed there I'll be happy to bring it by for your inspection.

Will you be at the match in Boulder at the end of the month? Or in August? I'd like to see how it shoots. If I don't have mine by then, or even if I do.

I'm sure we all look forward to your review of that after you get some range and match time with it. I know I am!

OK I took the versamax to the range yesterday for a test run... I'm impressed is all I have to say. My father went with me and brought his 1100 competition master. The recoil of the target loads, buckshot, and slugs were significantly lighter on the Versamax. The factory loading gate on the Versamax worked great for my weak hand load 4 technique. It could be smoothed out a little more but it'll work for the time being. All in all I think it's a pretty darn good gun.

The spring in the mag tube is a little stiff and I think the follower could be smoother but for a factory gun I'd have to say it's pretty good to go out of the box.

Thanks again for everyone's advice given here. Made the choice a lot easier.

I'm sure we all look forward to your review of that after you get some range and match time with it. I know I am!

OK I took the versamax to the range yesterday for a test run... I'm impressed is all I have to say. My father went with me and brought his 1100 competition master. The recoil of the target loads, buckshot, and slugs were significantly lighter on the Versamax. The factory loading gate on the Versamax worked great for my weak hand load 4 technique. It could be smoothed out a little more but it'll work for the time being. All in all I think it's a pretty darn good gun.

The spring in the mag tube is a little stiff and I think the follower could be smoother but for a factory gun I'd have to say it's pretty good to go out of the box.

Thanks again for everyone's advice given here. Made the choice a lot easier.

Great feedback. Thank you.

I had the same reaction to my 26" barrel version mag tube spring and follower.

• 7 months later...

I realize this is an old thread, but some incorrect info here should be corrected on the tactical Versa Max. It has a 3.5 inch chamber and shoots 3.5 inch shells just fine if you are so inclined. How do I know? I own one and shoot 3.5 shellsout of it for coyotes when I'm not 3-gunning. It also shoots the cheapest 2.5 inch shells just fine without malfunction. One great gun.

The M2 is what most of the top guys use fur good reason. It works. The new VM is like an M2 but they added more stuff we dont need in 3 gun so it makes it heavier.

The M2 is what most of the top guys use for good reason. It works. The new VM is like an M2 but they added more stuff we dont need in 3 gun so it just makes it heavier.

The biggest advantage a VM has over a Benelli is cost.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

So in regards to the VM, how does it have less recoil with 2-3/4" target loads? I understand with 3" and 3-1/2" magnum loads that it uses less gas by covering some of the ports used to cycle the action. But with 2-3/4 loads it has all ports open just like any other gun would. Am I missing something other than maybe stock and buttpad design?

So in regards to the VM, how does it have less recoil with 2-3/4" target loads? I understand with 3" and 3-1/2" magnum loads that it uses less gas by covering some of the ports used to cycle the action. But with 2-3/4 loads it has all ports open just like any other gun would. Am I missing something other than maybe stock and buttpad design?

It weighs more. All else being equal a heavier gun is always going to kick less than a lighter gun.

It weighs more. All else being equal a heavier gun is always going to kick less than a lighter gun.

So the Versa Max and the 930 JM weigh about the same but I keep hearing that the Versa Max is a softer shooter. Is this all subjective and psychological?

The VM is doing two things after you pull the trigger. It is inertia driven like a Benelli and gas driven like a JM Pro. So the energy from the shot is being used more then both the Benelli or the JM Pro. The extra weight makes it feel softer compared to a Benelli but not do compared to a similar weight JM Pro.

Theoretically it could be the softest shooting shotgun out there in a 12 gauge. Or at least similar to the Benelli M4. When I shot 10 rounds through one I did notice it shoots softer. If I had to guess I'd say its about the same difference as going from a 1300 fps shot shell to a 1145 fps shot shell give or take 50 fps. The difference in recoil Isnor going to win any matches and probably won't win any stages on its own.

Comparing all three On paper would make one helluva Physics problem!

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Thanks Jesse, that actually cleared up a lot. I can't calculate the metrics for the physics problem but the theory is a bit more understandable. I can also see why the M4 would be similar to it with 2-3/4" shells but not so much with 3" shells.