Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultrasonic cleaners

gmg

Does anyone have any experience using ultrasonic cleaner. It looks like it would be faster and less messy but seems like it would be more expensive.

I just got a hornady small unit off the prize table at CMMG. I thought that I wanted one too, But. Have not cleaned cases yet but trying to take the tarnish off some coins is not cutting it. I may have the mix wrong but the small unit could just barrel hold 100 260/ 308 cases. Thats fine for bolt action

I have the big Dillon case cleaner and I wait and do close to a 1000 pistol cases at a time. with just a bit of mineral spirits in the mix its great.

Try some of the additive to the tumbler and see if that gets the results you want.

Remember you will have to drain and dry the brass with a ultrasonic.

I have the Hornady model and while it does a good job I would prefer to have the Lyman with the preheated tank. The Lyman model came out after I had purchased the Hornady. I primarily use the sonic cleaner for badly tarnished brass, once dry I tumble it to bring the shine out.

If given the choice between either a sonic cleaner or tumbler only I would go with the tumbler.

That for responding guys. I was getting tired of the media getting everywhere and thought this might clean inside the cases & primer pockets better but was unsure. I guess you could also clean gun parts in it.

Ultrasonic is not worth it for me. Stainless steel media however is a different story. Little more time but brass looks better than new when done. If you like clean brass with clean primer pockets it is the only way to go...

I have the large Hornady one as well. I have used it for small batches of bolt gun brass before doing full match prep on them. It works well for that.

I use it primarily for cleaning gun parts, AR and shotgun bolts and carriers mostly. Works great. It will not take good bluing off, but it will take off the coatings such as paint and powder coat. Will never go back to the old methods.

For cleaning brass...not worth it. For cleaning small gun parts...well worth it.

I started cleaning my brass with the small Hornady unit. Liked it so much I moved up to the large Hornady unit. Very simple, easy to do, and effective for brass and gun parts. And quiet.

Some of my methods:

Use the brass chemicals for brass only. Don't use the heater per call to Hornady. Extended heat can cause the brass to get brittle over time. Clean in sonic cleaner for 30 minutes. Drain, rinse and dump out on a towel to air dry.

Use the gun cleaning chemicals for the gun parts. Preheat to 130 degrees. Clean from 30-60 minutes. I only use sonic cleaner for gun periodically, like before storage, or a few thousand rounds.

No issues whatsoever. Brass clean but not shiny. Gun parts clean but now need lubrication. I soak the entire gun in "Dunk It" (minus the grips) for about an hour. Move it around and dry fire them in the dunk it. Then wipe off, let set to drain off extra dunk it then lubricate as normal.

I use it with warm water and Simple Green for cleaning my precision .308 brass. I stand the cases upside down in a used .40 bullet tray. Does a decent job of loosening up residue. But I still run them through the vibrator with corncob for half an hour. I end up with brass that looks almost like new.

For anything else, I find it more trouble than it's worth. If the brass is dirty, I just wash it in a bucket with hot water and Simple Green then dry and tumble.