Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for an international match

JFlowers

I am looking for suggestions on an international (non-US) match to attend in 2005. Since I am an fairly average shooter, I am looking more for the fun and experience than worrying about competition.

So, I am asking all the international and experienced members of the board for suggestions on which matches to look at. I need a fun match for me in a setting the wife will enjoy. Also one that is highly affordable.

Thanks for all the help!

"Team Texas" is planning on hitting the Costa Rica match next spring. We had a pretty good time in Nicaragua this year, so we're coming back.

Bring short magazines or shoot Open.

I'm not sure how far your willing to travel but the 2005 IPSC Canada Nationals will be held in the Alantic Canada Province of New Brunswick.

I've shot their Nationals before in Halifaz Nova Scotia and I can tell you first hand that the scenery (and the seafood) in Atlantic Canada is awesome.

It's worth the trip.... :wub:

We have the best matches in the world here in Thailand (no bias in my opinion).

A great match combination at the end of this year (almost 2005), would be the Thai Level III at the end of November and the Australasia Level IV in Bali in early December. You could do both matches with a one week vacation either in Thailand or Bali in between...

If these are too early for you, we will run a Level III in June and December 2005.

No problem bringing your equipment for these matches as we have a great relationship with the Thai customs and police.

Regards

Peter

Depending on how far you are willing to travel there are several exciting possibilities next year.

While I prefer the dry season in Thailand you can not beat their hospitality or commitment to producing great matches. Exceptional food (can be spicy), gems, shopping, sightseeing, diving...

For your first trip overseas I would suggest Costa Rica in late April. The match is a combined “Tropical Cup” (Costa Rican annual) and “Columbus Cup” (IPSC regional championship). 18 stages, super hosts, gun friendly customs and one of the most beautiful countries to tour. Wonderful atmosphere – once outside the cities life is slow, the Pacific waters are warm and beaches filled with surfers. Eco Tourism is serious business with canopy tours, white water, rain forests and volcanic heated spas.

Thailand: farang@ipsc.org

Costa Rica: myamuni@tirodeportivocrc.org

Contact these to start and hope to see you in Thailand or Costa Rica!

Joel

Thanks for all the recommendations!

For those from the US, what is the process concerning handguns? My understanding (flawed it may be) is that you have to fill out a Form 4405(?) which basically states that the gun is yours prior to leaving so that you just return home with it rather than "import" it. Then the host country end is taken care of via the instructions given as part of the match info, which often seems to include some type of check-in/check-out process for each day of the match. Is that about all?

What else does a USPSA shooter have to think about when going international?

1) Magazines.... Its 126mm for Standard/Modified, but still 140/170mm for OPEN?

2) Ammo.... IPSC has a 121gr minimum compared to USPSA's 112gr?

Anything else?

pwalker, thanks for the invite to Thailand. But if I could make it, it would not be until fall of 2005. 2004 is out of the picture $$$$-wise at this point.

Costa Rica... beaches for the wife... shooting for me.... sounds like a plan to be made!

When you leave the states fill out a “customs declaration form” (4457)

listing your guns and “accessories”, expensive watches, cameras, etc. to

avoid any question of ownership previous to your trip.

Without sounding flip you might read the new rules and become familiar with the appendices.

In short, Open is Open with 160 PF for major with a 120 gr. Minimum.

Standard requires holster and mag pouches behind the hipbone. 170 PF for major and the gun and all mags used must fit within the “box”. The box is 226mm x 151mm x 46mm.

Production guns are listed here: http://www.ipsc.org/proddiv.php, equipment is behind the hip and no modifications other than what the OFM offers. Also

a 5 lb. minimum trigger but load your mags to capacity. No Glock 34 or 35’s and you must fire the first shot double action unless charging an empty gun.

I would suggest you practice “non-traditional” starts. While many of us cringe at the use of “ready conditions” (of which there are 4 not just 3... I digress...) practice loading – charging and taking your first shot. Practice accuracy on Classic targets and expect some physical challenges.

I’ll pass along more detail when it is available. Last years Tropical Cup had

Eric G., Phil, J.J., JoJo, Frank and Estuardo all shooting Standard. It was quite an event. http://www.tropicalcup.com/tc/index.html

See you there,

Joel

JMD,

Sound Flip! Be Flip! After over a decade of marriage, I can take a little flippancy, sarcasm, even a bit of spite.

Thanks for the information about starting positions and all. Those differences in the way we play the game is part of what I am looking for. That and issues that are easily "overlooked" when reading (and comparing) the rules. I would just hate to travel all that way and then "Opps! Gotcha!"

Can anyone tell me where the Costa Rica range is located? The Tropical Cup website has no information (probably took the info down after the match) and the site that seems to be the host range is all in Spanish.

James

Joel's got a handle on things.

Note that the US Customs form is worth way more than it's weight in gold. Have one with just the guns on it, make 10 copies of it and laminate the original-- functionaries all over the world give it tremendously more weight than it really has since it's a US form with a fancy stamp on it. It comes across as a "US permit to travel with guns".

Also bring extra copies of the match invite / permission letter and any other papers. Hand copies to anybody that questions anything.

126mm mags-- Magazines need to fit in the box with the gun for Standard, Production and Modified. Might be a good idea to make or find an IPSC box if you've got lots of stuff hanging off your LTD gun.

There's some pictures of the stages, stage diagrams and videos of last year's Columbus Cup match on my website http://www.shred2.net/~shred/gallery/Nicaragua

Coming home with a big trophy also makes the trip easier :)

Well there's really no need for me here, because you've been given excellent advice already, but I just wanted to add that no matter where you go, you'll get the red carpet treatment. Come to Asia, and we throw in champagne, candy etc.

For Mrs. Flowers, if she likes to wander off alone, she'll get excellent advice about the best shopping and sightseeing places to visit when she gets there. If she'd enjoy some female "let's kick the shit out of our credit cards" companionship, it's rarely a problem to find another "IPSC Widow" willing to accompany her :lol:

When we have visitors to Hong Kong, Mrs. Darth invariably leads the charge (she even has a trumpet and a sword), but she usually ends up spending twice as much as the tourist she's accompanying. Of course this is my punishment, which I accept like a 3 year old who just had his candy stolen :(

Such is life ...........

Puerto Rico in January is hard to beat....its a territory of the US.

Some ideas....the airfare is cheap but take gorilla proof luggage because handling is rough on that end! The ocean is warm (many activities), day-time temps are mid-80, plenty of beaches with eye candy. Don't skimp on the hotel...pay a few extra $'s for the ocean access. The crew that runs the match coordinate drivers for pickup and delivery. The attitude and environment is very laid back, accomodating, and cordial.

I’m double checking but do not believe the Puerto Rican’s will be hosting

their L3 this January. Look for Panama to be scheduled close to those dates.

Also, every country handles possession of firearms differently. Some regions have you turn your gun over to the authorities upon arrival – who know the value of and respect your investment. Others allow you to maintain procession. Few countries issue a permit which allows concealed carry. (Carry at your own own risk as you can imagine the reception you will receive should you need to use your “temporary right”.)

Few countries have restrictions on hollow points but Canada is one. *Canada also puts on some excellent matches. If you have never been and are close – GO! My apologies to my friends in Quebec but you might avoid that province. Reminds me of the peoples republic of Cambridge...

You can manage 5 kg. of 180 gr. .40 caliber within the weight limit for flying. I have been lucky, ignored and had to leave behind ammo. Always try and find a source of quality local ammo. (Costa Rica does have such a source and Peter reports one manufacturer in Thailand is producing quality major .38 super loads.)

You will be asked for your firearm, passport, travel info and often lodging arrangements. Transport is generally provided... and you are treated as a honored guest. Please be gracious; respect your hosts, their customs and staff.

Enough for now. I believe that if you check the archives you will find the same info from others and myself. I can not encourage you enough and – am willing to help walk you through some of the steps. It is all good and worth it!

!Check out the Copa Zemog in October in Guatemala! The “bus” stage (CC ’03) is becoming legend and the country is a must see http://www.zemog.com.gt/.

PM me if you’d like.

Chao, (Spanish version)

Joel

On the Canada Nationals in 2005, can anyone tell me who to contact

about information on this match ?? I would very much like to go

there for both a vacation, as well as shoot a match. This is some

thing that both me & my wife would like to get into. Can I shoot

limited/standard, is the 10 round mag the only thing that is allowed

in Canada, and my wife shoots open, but with a single stack, is that

ok to use ??? Any advise in advance would help me out.

gsutton@ilapakusa.com

Thanks

Gene

Go to the IPSC web site www.ipsc.org and check out the contacts under match schedule. You can also contact the RD Sean Hansen.

As I remember, no hollow points, nothing but 10 round mags (that fit the box) and equipment on your sides for Standard.

Finally, follow up with Chuck D who is from upstate NY and ask his input.

Remember they have two seasons up there; July, August and Winter!

Have a great time.

Joel

• 3 weeks later...

Excelent info Joel! - Just want to echo Joel's invitation to this years Zemog Cup to be held in Guatemala on October 16/17, excelent international match after the USPSA nationals. Last year we had many international shooters including some of the top US shooters visiting Guatemala.

Shooting will be great, good prizes (Cash prizes 1st place in each division) + you definitely have to stay over a few days to know the country, it has BEAUTIFUL tourism, to name a few: Antigua Guatemala (greatest colonial city in America), Lake Atitlan (amongst the most beautiful lakes in the world), the biggest Mayan city (Tikal) and Chichicastenango, and all of this very inexpensive.

Check out Guatemala tourism webstie at: www.inguat.gob.gt, click english language at the top of the page and surf through the galleries, attractions, etc..

Hope to see you here, for more information about the match visit the web site: http://www.zemog.com.gt or send an email to:

tiropractico@terra.com.gt

gua@ipsc.org