Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guest Larry Cazes

Erik, congrats on a great match! Lots of fun to shoot as well as RO. We're looking forward to next year already. Only change for us next year would be to split up the shooting and RO'ing between both days. Sunday was quite a long day to shoot all 8 stages after RO'ing all afternoon on Saturday.

The section championship rotates among three clubs and their ranges, in this order: Richmond, Sacramento, Morro Bay. I hope the Sac club is healthy enough for next year, as they have had a lack of help since Michael Boyd moved. And I hope they don't schedule the GBC during the summer valley heat.

I wish it were more of a section-participation match, with stages built by all section clubs. This year the eight stages had designers from Solano Target Masters, Shasta Shooters, and Richmond Hot Shots. But the setup crews were one person from Solano, two from Shasta, and a handfull from Richmond. :( Dave from SLAP handled registration, which was a huge job and a huge help.

I heard a complaint that shooting only three stages in one half-day was a mere teaser. Anybody who wanted to shoot four or more stages, including all stages in a single day, could have done so by registering early and picking the right squad on the online self-squadding. Anybody registering after July 1 is just lucky to get in the match and shouldn't whine about their schedule. I think we had ten entries since the online squadding cut-off Wednesday before the match, as Dave burned the EZWinScore database on a CD and drove up Thursday. And it was probably 20 or 30 entries after the advertised July 1 pre-registration cutoff.

Guest Larry Cazes
And I hope they don't schedule the GBC during the summer valley heat.

Actually among those three choices, I would pick Richmond for the significantly more comfortable weather. Being right on the water, the temperature is one of the most hospitable in the bay area.

I heard a complaint that shooting only three stages in one half-day was a mere teaser.

I think that this person must definitely be in the minority. Working stage 4 Saturday afternoon, I talked to a lot of people who felt that shooting the 8 stages plus chrono all in one day made for a very long day. We had 10 people in our squad Sunday. We started at 9:00 a.m., shot straight through without a break, and didn't finish until 4:00 p.m.

Interesting... the Arizona crew shot on an all-day Saturday squad and they were done very early. In fact, I felt guilty about not giving them enough. They started on the standards stage, so they didn't have to wait when it backed up. What made the backup worse was stages 6/7 were "fed" from stage 5, which had a blazing fast turnaround, so squads would arrive at 6/7 early, then wait for the backup. In hindsight, stage 5 had room for a chrono. (Then I could have put a speed shoot in stage 2 and well, I digress.) Sunday was "only" about an hour behind schedule at the end, though some squads finished on schedule. Not bad when you consider the matches that have you shooting in the dark.

After the 3 gun nats and this, one thing is very clear: always follow big, complicated, long stages with short, sweet, and simple stages.

Guest Larry Cazes

Yup.....Stage 3, Mad world, aside from totally kicking my butt, was also quite a bottleneck. Brian and I had waits of 20-30 minutes between squads at stage 4 on Saturday afternoon. I think the same backup occurred on Sunday since I caught Short_round sleeping :D under the overhang there on Sunday as we came through.

Oops, yes, Stage 5 was a TASC stage set up by TheOtherErik and two other members and it was the fastest, smoothest running stage of the match.

My apologies for not recognizing that in the above post. And for missing anybody in my thanks at the awards banquet.

At the banquet we raffled off the like-new PACT BBK 2 electronic scale (only used 120 times!) with carrying case. It went to the stats and signup guy, Joe, after the first shooter drawn wasn't present. He deserved it, but I guess he really needs a new holster, as he dropped his gun while LAMR on Stage 1. BTW, the BBK 2 has a cool new low weight calibration feature that makes it better for weighing powder charges.

Well I'm not the M.D. next year for one thing. Which means my match performance will be exponentially better, so I'll be willing to throw down the gauntlet. William P. flew up and got a good smackdown in Limited from David Benzick, The Brazilian Juggernaut, and out-of-retirement Russ W. Apparently, you'll have to send Taran to pick up the gauntlet in Limited. :P

Scores are up on Richmond's site:

http://www.richmondhotshots.com/matchresults.html

Ouch! Next year, whoever hosts, how about the option to buy a Mulligan stage? :)

added:

Any chance they'll be an overall posted?

Question on scoring: Is"Total Match Points" from Limited-10, fair to compare to Limited/Open, to determine overall?

Edited by BerKim

No chance of a combined results posting. This was a USPSA Tournament, with 4 distinct division matches.

With 8 Ms and 2 GMs in Limited, and Limited 10 made up of mostly Cs and Bs, no, it's not going to be remotely fair to compare. The stage wins throw everything off.

BerKim, thanks for showing up and working the chrono stage. Did the replacement extractor work?

Guest Larry Cazes

Erik, did anybody fail the magazine Gauge check at the chrono stage? If so, what were the details of the mag setup?

No chance of a combined results posting. This was a USPSA Tournament, with 4 distinct division matches.

Did the replacement extractor work?

Thanks Erik... still trying to figure how this scoring works..

And the extractor did work, took some hand help machining, but finished the match, and did pretty well after Stage 3...

I don't think anybody failed the mag gauge. Several declared-Major shooters were dropped to Minor, including one at 156 PF. He blamed the altitude change from the high desert to the bay.

I want everybody concerned about the un-chronographed shooter to know what became of him. After much perusing of the rulebook by the M.D., R.M. and the chronograph operator, we could find nothing that dealt specifically and explicitly with that situation. So I gave him a Failure to Do Right penalty. :) Just kidding. His declared power factor (Major) stood. Anybody shooting a match in the waning days of the 14th Edition 2001 rulebook can simply avoid the chronograph (but not in an obviously unsportsmanlike way) and should get the same result.

I don't think anybody failed the mag gauge.

Given the way it was used, I think it would have been difficult to have anyone fail.

People came up to the chrono with everything from no mags to a bag full. The only way this could work is if someone was gauged imediately on completion of a stage with a mag they've used.

It was good to remind people there is an overall length limit and to see some thoughtful expressions <_<

Kevin

The original plan was to have the "chrono gofer," with BerKim in this role for its initial shift, visit a stage, and upon "Range is Clear" retrieve dropped magazines. Remove eight rounds from the mags, and give the mags back to the shooter if he or she is not in Limited or Open. Otherwise, gauge the mags first. As it turned out, this would have required another chrono gofer. Three chrono guys would be a pipe dream, in a match that was short-handed in the first place and then had ROs fail to appear on top of it.

But I am satisfied that the ammo collected for the chrono was a good selection of "match ammo" and not "chrono ammo." (Or in Clete's case, "practice ammo.")