Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No love for IOR Valdata scopes?

waktasz

They make a 1.5-8 and a 1-10 for $1300 and $2300 that seem to have a lot of features. I've never seen one in person but wouldn't I rather have a 1-10 than a 1-6 from Swaro? I'm tempted to give the 1.5-8 a try since I can't really afford $2k+ for a scope. Thoughts?

I have an IOR Valdada 1-4 scope that I bought 5 years ago. The scopes are excellent quality with super glass. They are a little on the heavy side but that did not bother me. I would definately look at the new models if I was in the market for new glass.

They make a 1.5-8 and a 1-10 for $1300 and $2300 that seem to have a lot of features. I've never seen one in person but wouldn't I rather have a 1-10 than a 1-6 from Swaro? I'm tempted to give the 1.5-8 a try since I can't really afford $2k+ for a scope. Thoughts?

I have a 1.5-8x IOR with the horseshoe reticle. I found that if i zero the 300 yard crosshair with my load the dot works well for 200 and in and the 4,5 and 6 crosshairs match my load for downrange holdovers.

IOR Scopes are nice but the illumination is not there. I want a three gun scope with bright reticle I can shoot like a red dot on the close range stages. That and you generally don't need more than 6x. Not that its bad to have but I would rather have a compact scope that is 1-6 with a good reticle than a 1-10 that is heavy with a black reticle.

Pat

The scope is heavy and illumination does not work in sun light but without dropping another $1k it is a great scope. The 1.5x is more noticeable if you shoot with one eye closed. If you shoot with both eyes open it is a great close range blaster. IMO, eye relief is a little short, I am not a nose to the charging handle person.

I have the 1.5-8x. There are a lot of great features with the scope. Being old, I need the 8x. Six-eight hundred meter shots are pretty easy with the 8 power.

The 1.5 is fine for close work. The 8x has a very narrow field of view so that may distract some.

The glass is from Schott. It is great glass. The reticle works fine for me.

The downside is the quality of workmanship. I have had two different scopes sent back because they developed bubbles internally. The scope was never in the rain etc. Just issues with workmanship. If the replacement develops the same problems I probably will not send it back but just ignore the bubbles. They did not have any effect of the accuracy of the scope.

For the price, it is a great deal.

The illumination is not bright enough for sunlight use.

I got the scope for significantly less than retail that coupled with the 8x and glass/reticle sealed the deal for me. If you do not need 8x then there are a lot of very fine 6x scopes out there, however, I don't think their glass is as good for me. The IOR retail is half that of the Swaroski.

Damn Matt, we're like 30 hours since the last shot fired and you're already shopping for a new scope? I would give you grief, but that's why I'm here, too.

I'm also looking to learn how to actually shoot an AR, not just run around and pretend like I know.

I got a chance to play with a leupold 1.5x6, and it was in the $650 range, I think. It was pretty good at 250 yards, but I really like a true 1x up close. makes more sense to me. I can't justify spending more on glass than I spent on my car, so I think I'll be sticking with what I have, at least for a bit

Damn Matt, we're like 30 hours since the last shot fired and you're already shopping for a new scope? I would give you grief, but that's why I'm here, too.

I'm also looking to learn how to actually shoot an AR, not just run around and pretend like I know.

I got a chance to play with a leupold 1.5x6, and it was in the $650 range, I think. It was pretty good at 250 yards, but I really like a true 1x up close. makes more sense to me. I can't justify spending more on glass than I spent on my car, so I think I'll be sticking with what I have, at least for a bit

I need to learn how to shoot too, but there's nothing like throwing money at a problem!

I have two 3-18s and they are heavy, but, other than that I really like them. I ran a Leupold 1-4 for several years, and never ran it all the way down to 1 power. I believe the IOR has as wide, or wider field of view at 3 power than my Leupold did at 1.5-2, due to the 35mm diameter tube. :cheers:

I'd considered the 1.5-8, but, bought both of my 3-18s at a better price because they were used, and I REALLY wanted more on the top end than 8. :surprise:

I really like the 1.5-8 IOR, The reticule is very bold and haven't needed lumination during the day yet. The hold over marks are spot on to 500 with the 55gr ammo I've have been using. Going to get another for one of my 308s soon. The 1.5-8 is a huge improvement over my other 1.1-4 IORs.

• 1 month later...

I really like the IOR 1x:4x PITBULL CQB tactical. It has a HUGE field of view on a true 1 power.

This huge field of view was reason for me to not get one. It gave "fisheye" effect for me. Great when shooting with one eye open - it really give big field of view. But with both eyes open it was disturbing for me - it felt like scope was giving less than 1x magnification (actually it felt like "shinknification"). So finally I wnet with scope that gave me more "natural" field of view at 1x. But this can be just me.

Two long range IOR scopes that I had (4-14x50 and 9-36x56) were great glass. IOR is really quality stuff.

Edited by Montrala