Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yet another Florida shooter

Shadow1

Hey gang, great forum you have here. I've been shooting for a while but just recently decided to get into match shooting. My wife and I went out to a couple of local matches and fell in love (her as much as me). I'm looking forward to the wealth of knowledge floating around here. Scot :cheers:

Thanks gang, I'm about halfway between Daytona and Orlando. We've gone out to matches at Volusia County and Titusville. It would be great to meet some locals and shoot, I feel like I'm new to shooting after watching and reading some of the competition details and styles. Really excited about the change. I actually sold a bunch of guns this past week, but purchased a couple of others including an XDm 5.25 to get me started.

Thanks Nox, I've actually been into both sites. I was going to try to make St Augustine a couple of weeks ago but mother's day took priority...I'm still working on those priorities. :rolleyes:

Grumpy....I will be at your next match, looking forward to shaking hands.

Good luck shaking my hand.....You might better have some very long arms...... In all reality, I will probably be out of the country on assignment......again..... But there might be a chance that I'll be there.

Welcome to the Sport and the Forum. Be sure to make the July match here in Gainesville. We are putting on a Classifier-Only match, so you can get your initial classification all at one time.

What Division are you planning on shooting, first? Might I suggest you start with Limited shooting minor or major (depending on Caliber). It's easier to plan stages without having to worry about reloads every 10 rounds on the clock. Then, after you have the jist of things, come to Production with the 525 and really start competing.

Cheers,

Welcome to the Sport and the Forum. Be sure to make the July match here in Gainesville. We are putting on a Classifier-Only match, so you can get your initial classification all at one time.

What Division are you planning on shooting, first? Might I suggest you start with Limited shooting minor or major (depending on Caliber). It's easier to plan stages without having to worry about reloads every 10 rounds on the clock. Then, after you have the jist of things, come to Production with the 525 and really start competing.

Cheers,

We'll have to make it to that, gotta start somewhere. I'm planning on starting with production to get my feet wet, but if I know me...it won't take long to move up to limited.I just bought a Springfield XDM 5.25 to replace my other XDm so that was sort of a no brainer.

Actually, my point was you should start in Limited to get your feet wet, then "move up" to Production :)

There's no such thing as moving up a Division. Divisions only recognize different equipment platforms and related rules. Classes are what you move up in: U, D, C, B, A, Master, Grand Master.

The reason many suggest Limited to start is because you are less likely to run afoul of some restrictive equipment rules in Production, such as holster or Mag pouches in the wrong place, one too many rounds in a mag, etc. It also takes the stress off you in planning repeated mag changes for a long course stage. Generally, there is less to worry about when shooting in Limited, so you can concentrate on the fundamentals, safety, and learning how matches run. Once you get all that worked out, and are ready to really start competing, bring your 525 into Production and tear up the competition where EVERYONE is scored as minor.

Actually, my point was you should start in Limited to get your feet wet, then "move up" to Production :)

There's no such thing as moving up a Division. Divisions only recognize different equipment platforms and related rules. Classes are what you move up in: U, D, C, B, A, Master, Grand Master.

The reason many suggest Limited to start is because you are less likely to run afoul of some restrictive equipment rules in Production, such as holster or Mag pouches in the wrong place, one too many rounds in a mag, etc. It also takes the stress off you in planning repeated mag changes for a long course stage. Generally, there is less to worry about when shooting in Limited, so you can concentrate on the fundamentals, safety, and learning how matches run. Once you get all that worked out, and are ready to really start competing, bring your 525 into Production and tear up the competition where EVERYONE is scored as minor.

Right on,thanks for clarifying that. I'll have to look into Limited. We've already purchased a gun and rig for production so I'll have to see what it'll cost to go to Limited. Everything you're saying makes sense.