Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone reach GM status with a stock G35?

PrinC

Hello guys and gals,

I want to know if you know of anyone who has reached GM status with a stock G35. I find the trigger particularly hard to get these double taps and controlled pairs with the speed I am used to using a tanfoglio or other pistol. Do let me know if I am missing something.

Edited by PrinC

The key element is not STOCK but SMOOTH. A gun that is consistent from trigger squeeze to trigger squeeze, and the accuracy is also consistent from shot to shot will be more than tool enough to take you to GM. You may need to change some of the internal springs to get it balanced right for your shooting style and load, but it can all be done with stock parts.

If it's raw speed you're concerned with, take a look at this video from my match yesterday. There were a ton of pretty gnarly speed stages, and I ramped up my aggressiveness quite a bit as an experiment. I dropped a few more charlies than I would have liked, hit 2 no shoots and had a mike, but still shot 91% of the points before the penalties, so it's not like I was throwing deltas everywhere.

My trigger is heavier than stock. I replaced the stock minus connector with a factory 5.5lb dot connector. No other mods other than some polishing. Yes, I failed utterly on the long range steel... but it's not because of my trigger :)

I have no qualms about being able to make GM with this setup... the limiting factor is and always will be me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN221y0vc68

Edited by DonovanM

I've been shooting a lot of CZ Shadow lately, and now I want shoot IPSC w/my Glock G17 and see if I can make it. PD here in the Philippines is dominated by CZ and Tanfoglio and CoF here are more challenging and targets are set-up farther. I know I will be up for a bigger challenge but this time around I just want to be in the minority, wish me luck guys :)

If it's raw speed you're concerned with, take a look at this video from my match yesterday. There were a ton of pretty gnarly speed stages, and I ramped up my aggressiveness quite a bit as an experiment. I dropped a few more charlies than I would have liked, hit 2 no shoots and had a mike, but still shot 91% of the points before the penalties, so it's not like I was throwing deltas everywhere.

My trigger is heavier than stock. I replaced the stock minus connector with a factory 5.5lb dot connector. No other mods other than some polishing. Yes, I failed utterly on the long range steel... but it's not because of my trigger :)

I have no qualms about being able to make GM with this setup... the limiting factor is and always will be me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN221y0vc68

Good run :):cheers:

Hello guys and gals,

I want to know if you know of anyone who has reached GM status with a stock G35. I find the trigger particularly hard to get these double taps and controlled pairs with the speed I am used to using a tanfoglio or other pistol. Do let me know if I am missing something.

You are probably over gripping the gun with your strong hand, in an effort to "control" the recoil. That will tense up...and slow down...your trigger finger.

Also, the gun will come back onto target better if the support hand is doing the work of driving the gun.

The Glock 35 weighs about 24oz in stock form. It takes better technique to run it well.

Mine is/was setup with stock springs, better than stock sights, the 25 cent trigger job (polish)and some grip tape. I made GM with it in Limited first, and Production later. (It was always setup where it was Production legal.)

I shoot Production (mostly) with a G34 now, but with the G35 and Major ammo, I used to run Bill Drills with 0.15s splits with good visual input (which I think addresses your question). I've had match splits as low as 0.11s, though uncommon.

BTW, It always got easier for me whenever I decided that it was me and not the gun. That really helps.

And, I recall when I was coming up the skill ladder, that I would talk a lot about really camming my support hand on the gun and gripping it firmly.

I shoot Production (mostly) with a G34 now, but with the G35 and Major ammo, I used to run Bill Drills with 0.15s splits with good visual input (which I think addresses your question). I've had match splits as low as 0.11's

Unfair advice when the guy giving it isn't exactly classified as human....... :roflol:

(It was always setup where it was Production legal.)

Errr... "barber pole".... </recent rules interpretation drift>

...that was quicker than I thought. Glad I put that in past tense. (though I haven't shoot my G35 since then...LOL)

BTW, It always got easier for me whenever I decided that it was me and not the gun. That really helps.

And, I recall when I was coming up the skill ladder, that I would talk a lot about really camming my support hand on the gun and gripping it firmly.

Hey Flex, by camming do you mean applying pressure inward with your support hand? Reason I ask is that Bob Vogul recommends applying equal amounts of pressure inward on the gun from both sides to manage recoil. I've done a bit if this and have had some luck. The slight inward pressure (think rotate right with left hand and rotate left with right hand) has done wonders for me in terms of reaquiring the front sight.

Can you maybe explain what you mean by camming your support hand?

Edited by speedseeker

Flex is talking about "locking" out the support hand's wrist with the thumb pointing forward.

Point at something in front of you with your index finger. Now point at it with your thumb. You have to "cam" your hand/wrist to point with your thumb.

Thanks guys for the advice. I see Flexmoney has made a name for himself. :ph34r: Hearing that Flexmoney uses the G34 as well I can say I feel the trigger system of the G34 to be smoother than that of the G35. I used one this weekend and was impressed with the feel of it. Its just that I do not want to shoot minor so I prefer going with the G35.

I will take the advice given especially about the camming. I have tried it already and it works for me, is just the speed at which I can deliver my shots (controlled pair) seem to be slower with my G35 than with the tanfoglio or STI.

Hearing that Flexmoney uses the G34 as well I can say I feel the trigger system of the G34 to be smoother than that of the G35. I used one this weekend and was impressed with the feel of it. Its just that I do not want to shoot minor so I prefer going with the G35.

Chances are that it was that particular 34. Do some trigger work on your gun and you may see a difference.

I will take the advice given especially about the camming. I have tried it already and it works for me, is just the speed at which I can deliver my shots (controlled pair) seem to be slower with my G35 than with the tanfoglio or STI.

Flex's comment about the weight is likely why you notice the difference. The Tanfo and STI weigh more. You need to grip the Glock harder and work on your timing with it.

And this is a comment for a different thread, but forget the "double tap" and "controlled pair" lingo. </drift>

The triggers between the G34 and G35 are...as near enough...identical. As are the ones on the G26, G17, etc...

They can be setup differently. But, with the same parts in them, they ought to have the same feel.

The triggers between the G34 and G35 are...as near enough...identical. As are the ones on the G26, G17, etc...

They can be setup differently. But, with the same parts in them, they ought to have the same feel.

Maybe its time for a 25 cent job.

Technically, the 34 & 35 are different from the other models since they come with the 3.5-lb connector as original equipment.

While that statement is true for the RED and WHITE label boxed pistols ('civilian models'), it doesn't apply to many of the BLUE label G34/G35 pistols (those available through the LEO/GSSF program). I mention this only in case someone goes to buy one through the LEO/GSSF program; they should look at the label to ID what they are getting - if it says 4.5#, they are getting the 'competition' '-' connector; if it says 5.5#, they are getting the regular connector. ;)

Technically, the 34 & 35 are different from the other models since they come with the 3.5-lb connector as original equipment.

While that statement is true for the RED and WHITE label boxed pistols ('civilian models'), it doesn't apply to many of the BLUE label G34/G35 pistols (those available through the LEO/GSSF program). I mention this only in case someone goes to buy one through the LEO/GSSF program; they should look at the label to ID what they are getting - if it says 4.5#, they are getting the 'competition' '-' connector; if it says 5.5#, they are getting the regular connector. ;)

Heh. I actually knew that when I posted. Figured I'd give Flex$ the opportunity to turn it back around on me. :D