Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting clay pidgeons at 100 yards with a PT92

I was at the flea market this morning and saw one of the stands had a brand new M9 slide for sale. I asked the seller where he got it and he started to tell me some war stories about how he was a 20 year marine veteran and what he saw in Iraq/Afghanistan. He told me his opinion on the Beretta (crap and terrible and slide breaks every 20k rounds etc) and that to be a good shot I shouldn't worry about those 25 yard shots with my handgun because they take no skill and I should shoot at 100 yards.

Then he tells me that he shoots clay pigeons at 100 yards with his Taurus PT92, heavily implying that he nails them every time. Here's my question. Is this even possible? I have tried my Beretta at 25 yards and it's about a 3-5 inch group offhand for me. I know that the best 1911s "only" come with a 1 inch @ 50 yard guarantee. Is it even plausible that someone can hit a 3 inch clay pigeon at 100 yards consistently with a handgun shooting standard 9mm ball or is he blowing smoke? It seems pretty hard to believe but I didn't want to throw the BS flag without knowing for sure. I have tried shooting my 1911 at 100 yards, I can probably hit a man sized target 50% of the time that far, but nothing near as small as a clay pigeon.

he shoots clay pigeons at 100 yards with his Taurus PT92

One possibility is that he places (I've seen people do it

at our local range) a half dozen clay pigeons on the berm

and shoots AT them.

It is possible to come very close, and see the dirt on the

berm fly up near the pigeons - you can walk the bullets in

and will hit one on occasion.

If he's saying he's hitting pigeons even 20% of the time,

I'd seriously doubt that.

But, it is alot of fun to try some long distance shooting

now and then - learn a lot about trajectory, etc. :cheers:

Where in the heck do you guys get those little clays at? 3in. wide? The ones that I picked up at the store were 4 inches wide, which is much easier to shoot since they are 33% larger. :goof:

I had a friend who was an IHMSA international class shooter who could do that sort of thing off hand with a tuned up Ruger revolver about 50% or better, but he was special and the revolver were special. Highly doubt the the flea marker marine is gonna do that. Yeah best answer is invite him to shoot, bet he never shows. :)

I am fully throwing my BS flag. What would have been great is if you shot your mouth off and then he did it! I would love to see it happen and wouldn't care one bit that the guy made me look like an ass. Small price to pay for admission to a show like that.

In a similar story. I went to Novack's shop to have sights put on a 1911 once. It is about a 90 minute ride from where I live and I didn't have to deal with shipping the slide. I let them know when I was coming and told them what I wanted and they got me hooked up. They even threw in a free shirt.

I made the mistake of wearing that shirt to a gun show.

I think there were four tables where the guy working let me know that he knew Wayne and they were tight and that he needs to get down that way again sometime. Turns out Wayne must be tight with guys who are NC star dealers and fine collectors of beat up pump shot guns.

Edited by leas327

I thought I w a good shot when I went through the police academy 20 years ago coming out of the marine corps and shooting what I thought was a lot. Then I met a kid who was on one of the shooting teams in the corps during qualification day. Kid showed up with a brand new glock 45 never been fired and shot a perfect score with one hole in his target that was no bigger than your fist.

My point is that there are people out there with far more skill then me.

All that being said I would likely call BS on the 4" group at 100 yards out of any handgun offhand.

• 2 weeks later...

A Flea Market <_< <_< thats four steps below a Gun Show. But not the same as "Some Guy at a Bus stop"

I think its possible But not one for one. What I have seen is guys put up a bunch of clays in the dirt and shoot at them. when one breaks its "Thats the one I was shooting at"! :wacko:

I may give it a try this weekend, But I will have to set up three in a cross just so that I can see the dam things :o

I had an infamous gunsmith tell me on a forum that he put 7 out of 8 rounds into a "man-sized log" at 400 yds with a 9 X 23 Commander, unrested.

When I called BS (how many people you know could hit a man sized target 7 for 8 with an iron sighted rifle at 400?) he threatened to kill me.

He is now deceased so I've stopped watching my back.

• 9 months later...

An update to this old thread. I went to the public range today and decided to see if I COULD actually hit something at 75 yards (backstop) with a pistol. Put a mag worth of SWCs from my 1911 into a 12" target on the backstop and was able to get 3 on the black, after checking the target I realized that I had to hold about 6 inches high which was a pain cause I couldn't actually see the target with my chunky night sights covered it up!

Moved on to milk jugs, was able to hit them about 50% of the time with the .45 which was good enough for me. Then I brought out my CZ75 Shadow with 160gr bunny fart loads and was able to make about the same hits with it. I always thought that 9mm wasn't as accurate as .45 but I was proven wrong there!

Blew up a orange juice jar before someone could use it to sight in his rifle :), he told me I could shoot at it but I don't think he though I would hit it...

So I guess in closing, clay pidgeons are probably not possible, but called shots on milk jugs are a distinct possibility.

Edited by TerryYu

• 2 weeks later...

It's fleamarket bullshit. I know a guy in town, ex military who makes similar outrageous claims about his marksmanship. He hit a paint can at 1000yds out of his snubbie. I've never been able to get him down to the range despite the fact that it's a 3 min drive from where he hangs out.

I'm not saying it's impossible. A highly skilled shooter with a highly refined gun and exquisitely loaded ammo might do it, but some guy at the flea market with a Taurus? Perhaps he did hit one, one time by mistake.

3" @100 yds? If the gun with the ammo can hold 2" @ 100 yds, he would have to hold 2.25"@100yds - about .5mm at the front sight.