Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

700 rounds through CZ75B with Kadet 22 Conversion

Joe L

Finished off the 1800 rounds of CCI MiniMags I bought last week, was able to shoot up 700 rounds this morning at 15/20/25 yards. Gun ran flawlessly for the first 500, then starting needing a nudge on the 1st round from slide lock of a new magazine. Also got maybe 20 light hits near the end. Took the gun apart after I got home and this is what I found. Believe it or not the extractor was still working perfectly and I did not have any failure to feed once the first round was chambered. This gun is amazing. Den's Uplula-K saved me another 30 minutes and a thumb again today. I think I'll clean this thing before the next 1800.

i-WCC2HZf-M.jpg

i-5zQGgxT-M.jpg

i-g3gvvpM-M.jpg

i-3hhbDvG-M.jpg

i-2vhJrCN-M.jpg

i-8W6WRN5-M.jpg

This gun has a 17 lb hammer spring and a SAO trigger, so it is perfect for the 22 conversion. Would run with a 15 lb if the firing pin channel is clean. Good piece of hardware. I have probably 6k rounds through it now. Lost count. Easy to do when there are absolutely no problems until the gun gets filthy.

Joe

Edited by Joe L

Viggen, thanks for the heads up. I'll check it periodically as well.

I cleaned the gun Sunday night, launching the stock firing pin spring somewhere in my shop. I put a ball point pen spring in it and ordered the replacements from CZ-USA. Received the parts on Wednesday but decided to shoot 250 rounds through the Kadet just to see if my "reduced power" firing pin spring would actually run. Result, ran flawlessly. I took it out after the Wednesday range session but it was an interesting experiment. To me.

i-CxLPkd5-M.jpg

i-wd75m8F-M.jpg

This is fun.

Joe

Edited by Joe L

I added up the rounds through the CZ-75 Kadet conversion and I have shot over 6,000 rounds in three months. Add to that another 2300 9mm rounds and the gun has a lot of rounds through it. The Kadet conversion is excellent. The CGW sear, hammer, and springs work today exactly like they did when I installed them 3 months ago. I don't think I'll see many changes over the NEXT 10,000 rounds.

Joe

I like the way you treat that thing! No way should any good gear have to be sparkly clean to run 100%. Getting guns dirty is where all the fun is anyways. Thanks again for all the info on the conversion.

I am having the same experience with mine Joe! I have around 2K .22s through my Kadet and around 4K through the 9mm slide all without any hiccups. I LOVE my Kadet kit. The ONLY thing I do not like about it is since I run a very light 11lb hammer spring for my 9mm slide, I need to change back to the stock 15lb hammer spring with the Kadet slide... which means I need to remove the grips, plug, etc.

I wish I could bounce back and forth with a simple slide change. Other than that... I love mine!

:)

• 5 weeks later...

I have one as well. originally had it on top of a SP01 Shadow Target that I had to change to the 15 lbs main spring to get it to work correctly. Decided that changing the spring was too much of a hassle and purchased a SP01 Shadow, placed a 19 lbs spring on it and use that one for the Kadet kit.

Outfitted the Shadow with the same grips and sights as the Shadow Target and now I have almost an identical platform between the two - great for practicing.

When I go to competition, i take the Shadow to play backup to my Shadow Target. Yes it has a heavier spring, but if i am resorting to using the backup gun, well worse things have happened. At least 5.1.7.2 will not apply....

I have one as well. originally had it on top of a SP01 Shadow Target that I had to change to the 15 lbs main spring to get it to work correctly. Decided that changing the spring was too much of a hassle and purchased a SP01 Shadow, placed a 19 lbs spring on it and use that one for the Kadet kit.

Outfitted the Shadow with the same grips and sights as the Shadow Target and now I have almost an identical platform between the two - great for practicing.

When I go to competition, i take the Shadow to play backup to my Shadow Target. Yes it has a heavier spring, but if i am resorting to using the backup gun, well worse things have happened. At least 5.1.7.2 will not apply....

I did the exact same thing, except I run an 18lb spring.

1) that is GREAT review and great pictures

2) I want one!!!!

My Kadet Kit on a .40 75B functions perfectly with a 17# hammer spring. Not so good though with a lighter spring. I haven't shot it much lately, though. Anyone want to talk me out of it?

Asimonp79--buy klfaulk's Kadet Kit!

I only ran 1300 rounds through mine in June, but I've broken in two new shooters with the CZ in the last couple of weeks and they love shooting that gun. Low round count for me while I was lining out a SIG X-5 and a new SSE P226 for IDPA. The triggers are different enough that I don't shoot the SIG well after a few hundred rounds with the CZ. Takes me 20-50 rounds to get my SIG trigger finger back. I need to do a little more work on the SIG SSE hammer and sear.

Joe

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the review guys!! I have a quick question.

I have a CZ 75 SPO1 Shadow Custom, will I need to have the kadet kit fitted to the frame?

Thanks,

Brandon Banks

Just try the kit and see. I had to take a couple of file strokes on the front lugs of the Kadet with a file and one on the side of the barrel lug. You can do it yourself. You won't have to touch the frame, just the Kadet kit.

By the way, I have well over 10k rounds through mine now.

Joe

Edited by Joe L

• 3 weeks later...

An update. I have well over 10k rounds through the Kadet kit now, and have gone back to shooting at least 200 rounds each range trip. Sometimes more. Last weekend 600 rounds through the CZ and 200 through the 9mm. All good. I have a standard cleaning schedule of 500-600 rounds between detail cleanings of the firing pin channel and ramp, along with the bore. I just add oil to the sear/hammer/safety/trigger pin. The little 22 has become a mainstay in my training, especially for groups at 25 yards. Excellent piece of hardware. The difference in trigger feel between the CZ and the SIG is not a problem, my skill at proper sight picture and trigger control with any gun is what can be developed with the little 22. When I shoot the CZ well, I can shoot the SIG well, and an AR. When I shoot one poorly, I shoot them all poorly. Getting back in the groove is certainly cheaper with the 22 and, for me, as effective as with the 9.

Joe

I was actually concerned about how dirty the frame would get after lots and lots of 22 so I was thinking of getting a dedicated Kadet pistol so I didn't have to worry about mucking up the 9mm frame. This post reaffirms that instinct.

Edited by JesseM

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

MC1--Make sure the slide rails are oiled up and make sure the ramp isn't already pretty fouled up. Your slide may be a little stiff at first, but it will loosen up. Hope you like it as much as I do mine. Round count for me is now nearly 13k.

Joe

I was reading a different thread on this the other day and learned I needed a heavier mainspring. To all of you who recommended that, Thank you!

Went from 70% reliable to 100%. I am ssssoooooooo pleased with it now! Thanks again

CleverUsername--13 lb with a Kadet will be misfires. A 15 lb is good for just one or two per magazine. A 17 lb mainspring is good for less than maybe 1 misfire in a 100 rounds if the firing pin hole gets a little dirty. This is all with CCI MiniMags. I use the 17lb hammer spring all the time and suffer the occasional random misfire. A second hit always fires with the 17.

Joe