Joe L

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, the new holster arrived yesterday, but there's a fit problem. It's bottoming out in the holster before the trigger guard reaches it's detent slot. I have emailed Bladetech to find out the best way to open up the end of the holster. I'm also going to have to file a little away from the holster opening at the decocking lever, since it's almost touching and I need the gun to go in about another 1/8".

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwNDMwLTAwMjU3LmpwZw_zps

It kind of sucks to have to modify a brand new holster, but it would suck more to have to send it back to them and wait a few more weeks.

I also found that this holster failed the 2" distance requirement with my CR Speed belt. I had read that others had the same problem, owing partly to the weight of the gun and the drop/offset adapter. Luckily, they also posted their solution:

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwNDMwLTAwMjU2LmpwZw_zps

So now it meets the 2" rule for USPSA, and once I tweak the holster to fit properly, I'll have my rig all ready!

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwNDMwLTAwMjU1LmpwZw_zps

Hmm. Seems I moved my pictures and the links are now broken. I can't edit the post, but Blade-Tech sent me a shipping label so they can fix the fit issue with my holster.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwNDMwLTAwMjU3LmpwZw_zps

Judging from the small amount of space I have between the holster and decocking lever, they may need to tweak that area a bit once the gun fully seats.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwNTAyLTAwMjY1LmpwZw_zps

JAFO--Keep after it, you will get it. Your purchase has actually sparked my interest again in my X-5. I may go shoot it some before I send the slide in for the extractor fix. I just like my SSE so much I don't need to mess with the X-5 right now.

I have a holster that works fine with my X-5, I think it is a Safariland, can't remember.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Finallly got my X-5 All Arounds and put close to 1k through it this weekend. So far nothing but smooth cycling. I was such a huge fan of my alloy 226 that I am really surprised as to how much I love this gun. Trigger was actually pretty good out of the box, I must have gotten lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Blade-Tech back yesterday. They fixed the fit. I get a nice, satisfying "click" when I holster it now. It looks like they opened up the end of the holster a bit, reshaped the mouth, and increased the depression in the trigger guard area. I put the four washers back in and I have ~ 1 3/4" distance between the inside of my inner belt and the gun. Finally my new setup is complete! :goof:

• 3 weeks later...

So, JAFO, what do you think? Do you like the additional barrel length and weight of the X-5?

Plates at 50 yards, I love the X-5. A short IDPA scenario, I go back and forth between the alloy and all stainless 4.4" barrel guns. Inside of 30 yards, slow groups, I shoot all three the same, under 2" groups standing. If I could only have one, the 4.4" stainless elite.

Joe

I like it so far. Truth be told, between traveling and work, I've only taken it to 2 matches so far. But I did manage to nudge my USPSA percentage up a bit at our annual Special Classifier match, even with that crappy nylon holster I used while Blade-Tech was fixing my DOH. ^_^

At a practice session a few weeks ago, I was tagging a fixed US Popper pretty consistently at about 20 yards at a rate of ~2 shots/sec, and recoil is definitely softer than my alloy 226. I haven't had much experience working transitions with it yet. I know that's the area where some people prefer the shorter barrel. I have found I need to adjust/strengthen my grip a bit. It doesn't always come back to where it was after recoil, but I think that was happening with the other gun, too, so it's a software problem, not a hardware problem.

I'm still waiting on an order of 147gr bullets, and I'm excited to see how it feels with those!

Looks like you are making progress. You will like the 147 if the slide action seems fast enough for you. Also, you might try experimenting with some different recoil springs just to see how they feel with the different weight bullets. The slide weight is much different than the standard P226 length so the "optimum" spring might be different as well.

I think if mine had run well when I first got it, I would never have gotten the stainless elite and would be very happy with the X-5. I definitely like the heavier gun over the alloy one. Just keep at it and I bet it will work out fine for you. They are definitely a pleasure to shoot and handle, once you make the transition to the heavier frame weight.

I've tried out a GP100 revolver now and have a flinch with the 357 magnum loads I was able to buy. No flinch with 38 special but I can't find any locally. 2" groups at 25 yards with the 38 special ammo and 8" vertically strung with the magnum. Gotta work on that. Kind of embarrassing actually. I had some holster and sight issues with it, too. Not sure when I will be able to try it in a match.

Joe

The best way to work that flinch out is to randomly mix a Magnum round or two in with a cylinder of Specials. Or in the absence of available Special ammo, dry fire the heck out of it.

JAFO, yep, I know how to conquer the flinch. I had some trouble with the 1911 also recently, so I need to work with both pistols, both dry and live fire. I can handle a 22 and a 9mm just fine right now, however! And a .308 bolt gun. From Sunday...

EE506311-M.jpg

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Blade-Tech back yesterday. They fixed the fit. I get a nice, satisfying "click" when I holster it now. It looks like they opened up the end of the holster a bit, reshaped the mouth, and increased the depression in the trigger guard area. I put the four washers back in and I have ~ 1 3/4" distance between the inside of my inner belt and the gun. Finally my new setup is complete! :goof:

Can you please post of pictures of the holster setup now that Blade tech has fixed your problem? I just received my holster and I think I have the same problem as you do. Who did you speak with over at Blade Tech?

Here are some pictures of the gun in the holster. I will say that I have the adjustment screws set almost loose. If I tighten them more than about an 1/8 of a turn past the screw heads contacting the holster, it makes the draw more difficult. That should improve as I wear in the trigger guard depression.

IMG_00000035_zpsacc8da93.jpg

IMG_00000036_zps01b5679e.jpg

Edited by JAFO

• 2 weeks later...

paperchasin,

One thing to note. JAFO has a Black Ice holster and your holster is the standard Blace Tech OWB holster. That is why JAFO's holster looks so much different from yours.

I called last week to order a Black Ice for my new X5 competition and they said they did not offer the Black Ice for it. I had to go the competition style route. I did order one but with a 6 week wait who knows? Im curious why the would not sell me a Black Ice. I even tried to call back a couple days later to speak with a different sales person but got the same reply. I would like to know the exact item numbers listed on you guys holsters.

There was no item number listed on the bag or the paperwork inside it, just a checksheet with the manufacturer and "X5 Allround" handwritten next to it. I ordered mine online, and in checking just now, it appears the X5 Allround is the only Sig they list for it.

I honestly didn't think there was any appreciable difference (from the holster's point of view) between an Allround and a Competition model. It doesn't cover up high enough for the thumb safety to get in the way. The barrel length, front sight, slide, and frame are all the same, aren't they? :huh:

I mean, granted it's a SAO, so it wouldn't play in Production, which might be what they had in mind when they designed the Black Ice, but that shouldn't limit them making one for you if that's what you wanted.

Edited by JAFO

• 2 weeks later...

Another great holster option is the Race holster from C.O.M.

http://comholsters.com/themall/

Rick doesn't give a lot of details on his website but his products are very well made. I asked for the production race cut and it supports the weight of the X5 without any modification. I'll post some pics when I get home. Keep in mind the wait is very long but completely worth it.

paperchasin,

One thing to note. JAFO has a Black Ice holster and your holster is the standard Blace Tech OWB holster. That is why JAFO's holster looks so much different from yours.

I called last week to order a Black Ice for my new X5 competition and they said they did not offer the Black Ice for it. I had to go the competition style route. I did order one but with a 6 week wait who knows? Im curious why the would not sell me a Black Ice. I even tried to call back a couple days later to speak with a different sales person but got the same reply. I would like to know the exact item numbers listed on you guys holsters.

The Black Ice holster for the AllRound should work with any X5.

Edited by staudacher

• 4 weeks later...

Joe L,

Did you ever send your X-5 back to GrayGuns for the latest-greatest extractor upgrade? If so, how dependable has it been?

RH

Over on Sigforum, Gray Guns indicated a few months ago that they were finally ready with the new extractor, and then the discussion died off again. When Gray says the parts are really, finally, absolutely ready, I might send the gun again. I am enjoying the Stainless Steel Elite that I bought when the gun was first at Gray that I haven't really felt the need to send my X-5 back, at least not until Gray says they are really ready. The gun is in the safe.

If you have heard anyone confirming that the new GGI extractor parts are ready and have been successfully installed and tested for a few thousand rounds, I could become interested again. Maybe.

Joe

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Bought my first X5 about 2 years ago; Level 1, single-action only, Walnut Nill grips with a trigger that's adjustable three different ways. This first one now has well over 8K rounds through it with no FTF of any kind to speak of. After 4 stages of a large steel plate match, I started getting jams with the rounds nose-diving into the feed ramp. I'm going to give it a quick cleaninq after every couple of stages from now on out. This magnificent gun from the SIG Mastershop in GERMANY has zero machining marks anywhere on the pistol, inside or out.

At the last steel match in August, I had the chance to use a friends X5 Tactical for one stage. I had never shot that thing even once, and I only had 1 miss for the entire stage - remember, this isn't an open gun, just pure factory stock. I was very impressed. It shot exactly where I aimed, every single shot. I'm not that good, to shoot a strange gun and score almost as fast as with my STI 2011 with the C-More.

In case you can't tell, I love SIG's. If you get a chance, shoot an X5. You'll love it.