Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what are you using for your revolver range bag?

joedodge

Ive done the search and read a bunch in other sections of the forum but what is everyone using for your revolver range bag. Ive tried midway pistol bag, and I have a 5.11 rush 24 back pack. they both worked great shooting production but with the revo they just dont work, right now im using an open top tool tote from sears with a plastic plano box layed down in the bottom. But I dont like my stuff being wide open to the elements constantly like rain and dust and such and just being open to everyones eyes. What are you using for a range bag and how are you storing your moon clips in it for revo.

Thanks for the reply Lee. Thats what im thinking of going with, something like the ced professional range bag. I really like the plastic boxes im using just looking for a better bag thanks for the pics also

I literally just posted a very similar question about how to carry moonclips with you to the range, this forum is clearly filled with "like minded" folks. I like the idea of something separating the clips, between the primers and the bullet nose of the next clip. I'm sure it would have to be a hard blow to ignite the primer on one from the round nose of another, but it still makes me nervous.

welcome to the forum, I use the plano boxes same as Lee 6 rows of 5 moons. And always moon enough ammo for the entire match so I dont have to mess with it during the match one of the many joys of revo shooting. Still hunting for a range bag I like though as trivial as it is it just hauls the junk lol.

I literally just posted a very similar question about how to carry moonclips with you to the range, this forum is clearly filled with "like minded" folks. I like the idea of something separating the clips, between the primers and the bullet nose of the next clip. I'm sure it would have to be a hard blow to ignite the primer on one from the round nose of another, but it still makes me nervous.

You can turn them A** to A** if it makes you feel better. Think about this, how many times have you ever heard of sympathetic detonation on a 4 post clip holder?

Lee

I use the big Shooters Connection bag. I have several of the inside or "stage" bags depending on what gun I am shooting. My revolver on has a wooden plate with 12 upright dowels. 5-6 moonclips on each dowel and I am set for a long day of shooting.

Lee, valid point. I never considered if a bottom shelf round were to go off on my NM holder...some important parts of my anatomy would be in real jeopardy.

I suppose it's not worth worrying about for storage/transportation purposes.

Justin

Ahoy Joe,

I recently picked up an SKB Trakpak from Optics Planet.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/skb-cases-stream-tek-tak-pak-fishing-backpack-black.html

The included storage boxes work perfectly for moon clips. Does everything I need. Take a peek and ask any questions. I can take pics of it loaded w/ any gear you're curious about.

Ron in Boca

thanks for the replies everyone its actually helped alot. I may have to retire my rush 24 backpack for a ced profesional bag idk yet lol. the problem with the back pack is I cant lay the plano box flat in the bottom it has to stand up and then it flops around alot in the bag rattling the ammo. I guess im just being super picky, ive considered a border shift ammo bag in the bottom of my back pack.

I use the CED Professional. Anything bigger and I'll fill it up with things I don't really need.

66L, I think your idea to separate bullets from primers is a good one, for the same reason you don't use round nose bullets in a tubular magazine. It doesn't take all that much to set off a primer. I've seen two incidents of ammo detonation outside the gun. One dropped round, one round that had an empty Comp III loader dropped on it. The second required emergency surgery to remove a piece of brass next to the Carotid artery.

Save your money on the expensive bag and pick one up from a price table. For local matches I leave the big bag in the truck. I carry a small tool bag with my moonclips, a brush and my secret revolver winning snack. I carry my dove hunting stool with a pouch and if I need to carry other things like knee pads I carry those in the stool.

I use the big Shooters Connection bag. I have several of the inside or "stage" bags depending on what gun I am shooting. My revolver on has a wooden plate with 12 upright dowels. 5-6 moonclips on each dowel and I am set for a long day of shooting.

+1 Except went with Delrin rods. I have inner bags for all the different guns types (not in the picture are the SV Open Gun and the AR bags.

post-370-0-31969900-1337151279_thumb.jpg

post-370-0-92843900-1337151286_thumb.jpg

post-370-0-94362700-1337151292_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brian Gonsalves

I picked up a few things at WalMart that seem to fill the bill. One has two compartments. It's large enough to hold a sandwich in one and a few chips in the other compartment but it will also hold 14 fully loaded 45ACP moon clips and that's what I use it for. Another container that's also small enough for my range bag holds 25 fully loaded 45ACP moon clips. I can fit 3 of them in my range bag and still have quite a bit of room left inside the bag but doing so does make it a bit on the heavy side. My big one also though has a handle on it and is a double decker. Top level holds my spare electrical parts like diodes,resistors,push buttons and some IC chips. The bottom will hold 36 fully loaded 45ACP moon clips. Easy to transport but is usually taken out for practice days only and then left in the car since I can move from the firing range to the car to refill the belt. If need be the basket on my walker can easily hold at least 3 of the 25 loaded moon clip containers in addition to everything else. I just need wider wheels for my walker as these thin ones sink in the loose sand and make moving from range to range a little on the diffcult side.

A Dillon border shift bag in the bottom of the big range bag works perfectly--loaded (and pre-tested) moons in one side, spent moons in the other.

You guys who are worried about sympathetic primer detonation might want to consider some anxiety medication, or pretty soon you will start thinking there is a "top" and a "bottom" to your moon clips like Waltermitty. ;)

Seriously, you're seeing ghosts.

A Dillon border shift bag in the bottom of the big range bag works perfectly--loaded (and pre-tested) moons in one side, spent moons in the other.

You guys who are worried about sympathetic primer detonation might want to consider some anxiety medication, or pretty soon you will start thinking there is a "top" and a "bottom" to your moon clips like Waltermitty. ;)

But there is a top and bottom to moon clips.

But there is a top and bottom to moon clips.

I second this. All my moonclips definitely have an obvious top and bottom. I am kinda afraid to try them the wrong way.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

I must have intermittent OCD because my moon clips all have to be on the same way but I never clean them because I'm to lazy.

I did try to start my son out right when he started loading moon clips he asked which way they go and I told him it didn't matter (even though deep down I know it does)

but I never clean them because I'm to lazy.

I'm so lazy that I just throw them in the tumbler to clean them. It works pretty well.

Ultrasonic work good too!

Seiichi