Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip safety

baron45

Someone advised or suggested to me that I have the Grip Safety of my STI Trojan killed so that that I wouldn't have to squueze so tightly inoprder to disingage the trigger.What is your take on this?And why?

THANKS.

baron45

Someone advised or suggested to me that I have the Grip Safety of my STI Trojan killed so that that I wouldn't have to squueze so tightly inoprder to disingage the trigger.What is your take on this?And why?

THANKS.

baron45

I don't think it's necessary and grip safeties can be a good thing when they work as designed.

If you want it deactivated, get it pinned or just wrap some tape around the grip. Don't disable the safety by grinding the little leg that blocks the trigger because you may want it to work in the future.

A much better idea (in my opinion) is to get it "timed" so that it will move out of the way of the trigger bow with less depression. You'll still have a functional safety, but it won't hinder your shooting if you don't get a 100% perfect grip every time. If you have to squeeze so tightly, it may need that kind of adjustment now anyway.

As long as it is a competition gun only, disable it. It's not worth it giving you problems on a stage if you get a less than perfect grip.

But like Rino said, pin it or tape it. No need to ruin the part by grinding it off. Also if you ever decide to sell the gun, it's not the best idea to sell it with a non-functioning safety.

(If you are talking a competition gun and not a carry gun). It is a simple process to use a small piece of shock buff to hold the safety in by inserting it between the mainspring housing and grip safety RH inner tang, when you get it cut properly it secures the safety, will not fall out and will not touch the spring or trigger leg.

This is a very common mod as unfortunatly some of us with small hands do not de-activate a grip safety when using a high grip.

If you do a search under grip safety you will find several topics.

You can tweak the nose on the grip safety so that it doesn't take anything to bump it off. You can also completely deactivate it if you choose.

Personally, I like the Ed Brown safety. It's a no-brainer to deactivae. You'll have to have the frame recontoured to fit it, but the EB makes the 1911 fit so much better I regard it as one of those "must have" features.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem. The grip safety just wouldn't reliably deactivate with a relaxed, high thumb grip. It needed to be pressed in almost all the way.

I ended up removing a small amount of metal from the trigger block area of the grip safety. It still works like it should, but only needs to be lightly gripped to deactivate it.

It wasn't hard to do at all. Just be careful and conservative with your filing. Good luck.

--tdow

I was having occasional problems with mine in matches..

did the tape thing - worked but ugly

I couldn't find the room for the shok-buf way..

I finaly just bent that leg on the sear spring a little, it still works, but comes off with a fraction of the presure it used to need, and it can easily be set back.

My problem was I was gripping so high, I was pushing on the top part of the safety and re-engaging it...

Like tightloop said, depends on the shape of your hand. I took a bit off of the nose on my carry gun so all I need to do is barely depress the safety. On my competition guns I ground the nose off and clipped the leaf on the sear spring.

I finaly just bent that leg on the sear spring a little, it still works, but comes off with a fraction of the presure it used to need, and it can easily be set back.

dave: you bent the leg forward (looking from the back of the pistol)? or you bent it back more towards the grip safety?

dave: you bent the leg forward (looking from the back of the pistol)? or you bent it back more towards the grip safety?

You make it flat, no curve, so more toward the frame.

with my big skinny hands, it was really hard to grab the gun and deactivate the safety at the same time.

dremel tool fixed that problem

still looks like it works, some folks dont like the looks of a pinned grip safety...it dont matter to me, my glock doesnt have one, why does the one on my 1911 need to work...they wont answer most of the time...

tape it down, pin it , cut the ear off, do anything to keep it from working.

even on a carry gun, these things dont shoot themselves, you must still pull the trigger.

Ditto. Just bend the RH (viewed from rear) leaf of the sear spring a shade flatter (which is moving the top of the leaf AWAY from you) and you can dial the grip safety pressure down to nothing, if that's what you want to do.

Ditto. Just bend the RH (viewed from rear) leaf of the sear spring a shade flatter (which is moving the top of the leaf AWAY from you) and you can dial the grip safety pressure down to nothing, if that's what you want to do.

Thats' it... and I just wanted a really deep indented quote...

Thats' it... and I just wanted a really deep indented quote...

:lol::lol::lol:

finally was able to adjust the grip safety spring tension last night to my liking. now it deactivates even with a not so perfect grip! thanks again guys!

:cool: