Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullets

rcc96

Have been shooting precision 185 mollys for some time which have been great and want to try a few JHP in 180gr..

Do you guys have any experiences with JHP vs CMJ and FMJ? is one better than the other ?

Have been shooting precision 185 mollys for some time which have been great and want to try a few JHP in 180gr..

Do you guys have any experiences with JHP vs CMJ and FMJ? is one better than the other ?

yes, no , maybe. The barrel is the determining factor in most cases, most of the time if your gun is accurate it will do well with a quality bullet. To get to absolute accuracy you would have to shoot some of each and see what works best.

In general my guns have done very well with MG, Zero. In the same guns, a quality JHP (zero or HAP) seem to be more accurate past 25 yds.

In all of my pistols, jhps are the most accurate.

In my .40s, for major loads, Zero 165 & 180 jhps are the most accurate.

In my .40s, for minor loads, Nosler 135 & 150 jhps are the most accurate.

What kind of gun 5" or 6" ? I assume with 185 it's a 5". If it was a 6" I would say 165 Rainier JHP. 5" I would recommend Rainier 180 JHP, they're affordable and very easy to get. They shoot great. I've been shooting them for 4mo. and I'm very satisfied with the bullets. I'm making 172pf with 165 jhp and VVn320 in my Cameron's 6in. :cheers:

Edited by a matt

Zero in 180 seem to be in short supply,I am shooting this out of a 6" Eagle...experiences with zero 165s?

Both of my 6" limited guns are a tad more accurate with 165 jhps, over 180 jhps. My 5" guns seem to do better with the 180s. :surprise:

I have been told the following, someone please let me know if this is true.

FMJ and CMJ are molded by pouring the lead into the mold with the nose down which could allow a distortion in the base of the bullet. This distortion could cause the bullet to "wobble" therefore accuracy could be affected.

HP bullets are molded by pouring the lead into the mold with base down. Any distortion in the metal would be in the hollow point end of the bullet. The base of the bullet is uniform and would be more accurate.

Is there any truth to this or has somebody been trying to feed me a line?

It is not a line. It is a fact that the base of the bullet, which is the last to leave the barrel, is the most important part of the bullet. At the point the bullet is leaving the barrel, hot gasses from the powder blow past the base and anything that is not uniform on the base can cause the bullet to wobble. With that being said, the accuracy required for the action pistol sports is not very demanding compared to precision rifle shooting. I would never think of using a 55gr FMJ bullet in a 223 for a High Power Rifle match. Even at 100 yards they may only group 1.5-2 inches or worse compared to 1/2 inch for a quality hollow point match bullet. However, in my pistol, I would be very hard pressed to tell the difference between the two types of bullets!

Mike

I have been told the following, someone please let me know if this is true.

FMJ and CMJ are molded by pouring the lead into the mold with the nose down which could allow a distortion in the base of the bullet. This distortion could cause the bullet to "wobble" therefore accuracy could be affected.

HP bullets are molded by pouring the lead into the mold with base down. Any distortion in the metal would be in the hollow point end of the bullet. The base of the bullet is uniform and would be more accurate.

Commercial jacketed bullets are not molded, they are swaged :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

I'll go straight to the answer. I've shot a lot of Precision Moly 185gr over WST and a bunch of Zero 180JHP's. The difference isn't huge, accuracy wise the JHP will edge out the Precison by a 1/4" at 50 yards, in my 5" gun. When it comes to the felt or preceived Recoil teh 185gr just feels a lot better IMHO. My load with the Precions 4.7gr w/180gr JHP 5.1gr. 4.5gr of N320 or 5.0gr w/JHP.

Of late I've been shooting some 180gr Bayou, the fly fast with little powder and have good accuracy but not as good as the two above.