Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Great Case Lube Spray

Mark K

I make this case lube, for 1/5th or less the cost of buying the same amount commercial.

I have used it to great success for reloading 40, 45, 38SC, and 223. It is a light weight lube, does not build up in the dies, but may

not be enough lube for higher pressure resizing operations.

First component: Pure Lanolin

Second Component: 91% Isopropyl Alcohol (you can buy it at Walmart for about $1.80 a pint), make sure it is the higher 90%+ version, and not the 70%.

Get a quart sized bottle or jar with a lid on it, put the lanolin and a pint of the alcohol in the jar. Place them in a pan of water, and heat it to about 160 degrees, so that the lanolin melts.

The lanolin will be melted, but settled in the bottom of the jar. Put the lid on the jar, and swirl/shake the solution up. Let the solution cool, while periodically swirling/shanking it up. When it gets down to room temp, there will be a large mass of lanolin settled in the bottom of the jar/bottle, but you will notice that the liquid alcohol, is now yellow in color. That is a portion of the lanolin still in suspension. Decant this liquid off into a spray bottle (I use my old Dillon Spray Lube bottle).

Set the other bottle/jar aside until you need to make some more.

This is basically the same formula as the Dillon Lube, but a thinner solution.

I estimate that you can make about a gallon (or more) lube with the one 7oz jar of Lanolin.

Mark K.

Excellent! Thanks for the recipe!

I'm no chemist, and I avoided chemistry like the plague (to the chagrin of my father who is a chemical engineer). I'm a little worried about the flash point of the isopropyl alcohol being so low compared to your recommended heating temperature. (The best chart I can find on this website still show an expected flash temperature for the alcohol to be below 30C, while 160F is above 70C: http://www.uctm.edu/...riana_19-24.pdf )

I'm assuming that it the step of putting the lid on the jar that makes the entire process safe. Or is it okay to keep the lid off as long as the jar is heated in a pan of water (the same way candle makers melt paraffin)?

Edited by Skydiver

Excellent! Thanks for the recipe!

I'm no chemist, and I avoided chemistry like the plague (to the chagrin of my father who is a chemical engineer). I'm a little worried about the flash point of the isopropyl alcohol being so low compared to your recommended heating temperature. (The best chart I can find on this website still show an expected flash temperature for the alcohol to be below 30C, while 160F is above 70C: http://www.uctm.edu/...riana_19-24.pdf )

I'm assuming that it the step of putting the lid on the jar that makes the entire process safe. Or is it okay to keep the lid off as long as the jar is heated in a pan of water (the same way candle makers melt paraffin)?

Actually, the bottle I was using kept wanting to tip over, so I kept the lid on it while in the water. Cracked just enough to allow for air venting, but tightened it when I was shaking it. This makes so much lube,

That I suspect I will still have the second jar of lanolin I bought around years from now.

7 oz lanolin and 16 oz of alcohol? worth a try!

Honestly, you only get about 1oz of lanolin to stay in suspension in the 16oz of Alcohol.

Edited by Mark K

I take a dab (english pea size) of lanolin, put it in my palm, squirt a dash of odorless mineral spirits rub it together in both hands (dissolves completely) and rub thru a bucket of brass until I think I've touched most of them, and viola!

works for rifle brass also...... I am a chemist, ;)

7 oz lanolin and 16 oz of alcohol? worth a try!

Honestly, you only get about 1oz of lanolin to stay in suspension in the 16oz of Alcohol.

I was just thinking that the cost of the ingredients was cheap enough to make it worth a try!

I had been led to believe that the 91% alcohol would not mix well with the lanolin. And I gave up trying to find reasonably priced 100% alcohol. The cheapest I found was $25/gallon plus shipping, and also called for a hazmat fee. I just ordered two bottles from Dillon. I hope your formula works out well. I may try it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry Brian, I missed you asking that question.

If you do a search for liquid lanolin it is quite common. I found mine on Amazon and ordered from the place I did because I was also looking for regular lanolin (paste) and castor oil to make lube for swaging jacketed bullets.

Don't remember the place I got it from but the brand I got for all three was NOW food brands.

Here is a link to the brand of lanolin I got:

NOW foods liquid lanolin

Neal in AZ

I ordered lanolin from a pharmacy. Used 1 ounce lanolin to about 6 ounces 91% alcohol. Had to warm the bottle up a bit in hot water but it worked well. Each time I've needed case lube I've had to warm it up a bit and then it's good for the rest of the day. Letting it sit for a couple days seems to allow the lanolin to separate and settle to the bottom. Rewarming it gets it ready for use again.