Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coyotes

Sleepswithdogs

OK, they look like my dog, but the last three searches I have done, the peoples dogs have all been eaten by coyots. I even tracked down today's "felon," BIG ruff looking guy. Must go at least 70# he was bigger than my f Malinois and she's 65#. Likely was the same one that ate this guys dog that I was searching for. Looked to me like either the Coyot jumped the 4' fence and brought the little dog back out, or the little dog got out of the fence but didn't make it all that far before he "meat" up with Wily Coyote. He came right past me after I found his den. Couldn't have been more than 40' away and just cruising along at 3 in the aft too, not even midnight when they usually roam. If I had a 40 with me I could have got him easy.

They know our pets are easier to kill than wild game, and so they hang just on the outskirts of our areas and venture in to pick off a small dog or cat.

OK, I don't hate the coyots, the're just trying to get by like all of us... but I sure hate telling people their pet won't be coming home.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

OK, they look like my dog, but the last three searches I have done, the peoples dogs have all been eaten by coyots. I even tracked down today's "felon," BIG ruff looking guy. Must go at least 70# he was bigger than my f Malinois and she's 65#. Likely was the same one that ate this guys dog that I was searching for. Looked to me like either the Coyot jumped the 4' fence and brought the little dog back out, or the little dog got out of the fence but didn't make it all that far before he "meat" up with Wily Coyote. He came right past me after I found his den. Couldn't have been more than 40' away and just cruising along at 3 in the aft too, not even midnight when they usually roam. If I had a 40 with me I could have got him easy.

They know our pets are easier to kill than wild game, and so they hang just on the outskirts of our areas and venture in to pick off a small dog or cat.

OK, I don't hate the coyots, the're just trying to get by like all of us... but I sure hate telling people their pet won't be coming home.

If he is that big he is likely not all coyote but part dog. When they start cross breeding with dogs is when they get more dangerous as they loose some of the fear of humans and come in around people and steal smaller dogs and cats.

• 1 month later...

We used to get a bounty for them by the greenskeeper at the local golf course. There are more here than when I was young. They like to live in the backyards of foreclosed empty houses, most of which have pools here. It is the desert here and I spent lots of time as a youngster turning them in for money

They live well because we offer them food like they never have known before. Trash, and pets, especially cats and small dogs, is what they like to eat.

Grabbed one of my parents chihuahuas not 20 yards from my dad in the Dallas suburbs but i've seen 3 in the early to mid-morning here in Dallas not 2 miles from Love Field. I'm sure that's the reason neighbors cats have been disappearing.

Saw one go through our backyard the other day. Now when walking the dogs in the evening/night, there's more than just the leash in my hand.

You mean like a cat?ph34r.gif

Saw one go through our backyard the other day. Now when walking the dogs in the evening/night, there's more than just the leash in my hand.

What are you saying Sarge? Carry a cat to chuck at a coyote threatening your dog?

Grabbed one of my parents chihuahuas not 20 yards from my dad in the Dallas suburbs but i've seen 3 in the early to mid-morning here in Dallas not 2 miles from Love Field. I'm sure that's the reason neighbors cats have been disappearing.

Sometimes you get just a craving for Mexican food. :surprise:

Coyote on Merritt Island, FL have become a problem also. They are living in old orange groves/natural lands and are venturing out to the neighborhoods now. Neighbor lost a cat a month ago and broke the heart of their little girl. They have been seen walking the shoreline at night near my house. (if interested google "coyote merritt island" and there are a bunch of stories and some vid).

What are you saying Sarge? Carry a cat to chuck at a coyote threatening your dog?

:lol:

At least in the northern states, to some extent mange will keep their numbers in check. The mange causes them to loose their fur, so they can't stay warm enough in the winter months then they freeze to death. Ohhh... Darn....

here in southern Illinois we figure that the lack of quail and pheasants is because of the coyotes. I reckon this next deer season will be okay but in 2013 with the drought we are having now and the coyotes, this year's fawns aren't going to make it.

Foxpro needs to come out with their own contigency program. Turn in so many pelts get reimbursed for the retail price of your Foxpro.