Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any tac Iron shooters

Sthrngnr

So is it worth it....only you can decide that.

Wow you almost sound angry . Most of the readers respect your opinion were just "yes it is worth it" would have been good for me. Thanks I will order it to day.

I used the Armalite for about a year, shimmed, green/bearing loctite.

Mounting a cast .750 ID part on a "steel" .650 OD part with a shim was not confidence inspiring.

After having one of the clamp screws back out during a match I ended up using red loctite on the clamp screws.

An old tape measure was my shim of choice.

If I were to start over again, I would use a .750 OD barrel behind the comp and the JP.

David E

J.P. Enterprises makes a great clamp on Front Sight, which you can find under the gas block section on their web sight, and Brownells carries them as well. It is a machined part instead of cast like the Armalite one, and it is quite a bit stronger in the clamping area. I have seen two of the Armalite ones crack at the clamp screw boss......now why am I suddenly 2 feet right? :blink:

If the base had been shimmed, it probably wouldn't break. :closedeyes:

What do you mean shimmed . And do they ( shims) come with the sights?

A gas block/front sight is sized at .750, the forward portion of the barrel is reduced slightly, usually .740 or less, to facilitate the installation of the front sight/gas block. When the screws are tightened down to clamp with sufficient force, the metal can crack, due to uneven pressure from the screw head. Some stainless steel, or brass shim stock between the barrel and the front sight will keep the screw head square, and cut down on the possiblity of cracking.

As Kurt points out, the JP unit, that is machined from solid stock rather than cast, will be more durable. Even then, I'd be inclined to shim it.

Thanks Dave. Missed you on Saturday.

I got confused when I emailed the IDPA MD in addition to you and he said there was no match on Sat and the next one was already full.

He later emailed me to say your matches were separate.

I would rather shoot Rifle or shotgun over pistol at this point, would like to shoot with you guys in the future.

I plan to shoot a small rifle match at Rockville this Sunday.

David

I use the JP FSB also. I have one standard A2 FSB I drilled and tapped w/ set screws. It works, but is not nearly as strong as the JP. For the headaches it can cause at a major match after you've spent a few hundred $$$ on travel, the cheaper options are not worth it.

Good choice on the JP.

Well lets start with "is it worth 3X as much"

First thought. NO absolutely not it,s just a piece of junk out at the end of your rifle that holds a little pointy thing.

Second thought "And of course they're out of stock" and have been for a very long time, but I don't mind waiting as long as it takes because nothing is worth 3X as mcuh as what is listed.

Third thought. What kind of really high quality precision cast sight would need shims? Why the kind that cost 1/3 less than the machined part (No they don't come with shim,s of any kind, but most guys just use pop cans cut into strips to fill in any excess gap. I recomend Sam's Club brand soda cause you don't want to spend too much on your shim material)

Fourth thought, cast parts like to break under impact like dropping your rifle and shattering off one of the protector ears (saw that one and at the same time cracked the compression screw boss hole we suspect)

Fifth thought, as you are tightening down the sight you waited on for over 6 month it cracks and when you call them up they say sorry, it broke but we are out of stock on that part again and can't send you a new one....and you now think DAMN maybe I should have payed 3X as much...they are in stock, they don't break and they are almost twice as light. Is it worth it?? No more so than a Mercedes is worth more than a Fiat, but it all depends on your personal choice.

+1. When shooting irons, I ran a JP detachable front sight with the post insert. I like the protection that the ring provides for skinny front sights as well as the ease of changing sight inserts out. Plus for coarse close range shots, I just used the front ring as a big front sight.

1911VM, that is the problem with the inter-web, you couldn't see the smile I had when typing it all out, I mean come on, Sam's club pop cans?....Oh well, I thought it was funny, and those ARE the exact thoughts a buddy of mine had, right sraight down the progression, who is now a very happy J.P.owner....and don't think I didn't devil him a bit either. :devil:

1911VM, that is the problem with the inter-web, you couldn't see the smile I had when typing it all out, I mean come on, Sam's club pop cans?....Oh well, I thought it was funny, and those ARE the exact thoughts a buddy of mine had, right sraight down the progression, who is now a very happy J.P.owner....and don't think I didn't devil him a bit either. :devil:

Kurt, I'm glad to see you back around here sharing your knowledge

and humor.

Edited by Bryan 45

Well lets start with "is it worth 3X as much"

First thought. NO absolutely not it,s just a piece of junk out at the end of your rifle that holds a little pointy thing.

Second thought "And of course they're out of stock" and have been for a very long time, but I don't mind waiting as long as it takes because nothing is worth 3X as mcuh as what is listed.

Third thought. What kind of really high quality precision cast sight would need shims? Why the kind that cost 1/3 less than the machined part (No they don't come with shim,s of any kind, but most guys just use pop cans cut into strips to fill in any excess gap. I recomend Sam's Club brand soda cause you don't want to spend too much on your shim material)

Fourth thought, cast parts like to break under impact like dropping your rifle and shattering off one of the protector ears (saw that one and at the same time cracked the compression screw boss hole we suspect)

Fifth thought, as you are tightening down the sight you waited on for over 6 month it cracks and when you call them up they say sorry, it broke but we are out of stock on that part again and can't send you a new one....and you now think DAMN maybe I should have payed 3X as much...they are in stock, they don't break and they are almost twice as light. Is it worth it?? No more so than a Mercedes is worth more than a Fiat, but it all depends on your personal choice.

That was spot on and made my day ;)

Edited by HotLoad

The equipment we shoot makes subtle differences in our performance. As long as the gun functions reliably and is fairly repeatable accuracy wise, the main determining factor in how well you do in a match is determined by the shooters experience and skill. Good practice and skills will always contribute far more than fancy gear. Until you know for sure what you want, spend your time (and money) training with what you have.

Respectfully I was trying to gain sone perspective from other competitive 3 gunners . I plan on using what I have , and shoot well in my local matches( but have no experience shooting at any major matches or shooting out to 500 yards) I am not looking for any fancy gear that is why I'm wanting to shoot irons, haha. I shot before with Eotech's but wanted to go with plain old iron sights I guess to be a well rounded shooter.

I am excited for the upcoming major matches but am worried with my limited space to practice for the long range shots. Thanks JP

Edited by JP THOMPSON

The equipment we shoot makes subtle differences in our performance. As long as the gun functions reliably and is fairly repeatable accuracy wise, the main determining factor in how well you do in a match is determined by the shooters experience and skill. Good practice and skills will always contribute far more than fancy gear. Until you know for sure what you want, spend your time (and money) training with what you have.

Respectfully I was trying to gain sone perspective from other competitive 3 gunners . I plan on using what I have , and shoot well in my local matches( but have no experience shooting at any major matches or shooting out to 500 yards) I am not looking for any fancy gear that is why I'm wanting to shoot irons, haha. I shot before with Eotech's but wanted to go with plain old iron sights I guess to be a well rounded shooter.

I am excited for the upcoming major matches but am worried with my limited space to practice for the long range shots. Thanks JP

I did not do a very good job getting my point across in my first post, let me try again. in a round about way, I was trying to say that some people do not enjoy competing with irons as much as they thought they would. I was recommending competing with the set up the original poster had for a match or two before springing for a new 20" barrel, a JP front sight, and new rear. He might decide after a match or two that irons are for him and then off he goes to build a new upper, or he might decide to slap on a 1x optic or even go back to a magnified optic, who knows. The common answer to many questions around here seems to be go and buy something new, while I like new gear as much as the next guy, I still feel like the best gear money is spent on training ammo and travel to matches. Sorry for my cryptic post.

+1. When shooting irons, I ran a JP detachable front sight with the post insert. I like the protection that the ring provides for skinny front sights as well as the ease of changing sight inserts out. Plus for coarse close range shots, I just used the front ring as a big front sight.

Are you talking about the globe sight with a post insert?

Yes. I think the post is the best all around front sight. Front apertures are good for circular targets a la bullseyes or round plates but suck for everything else.

Did you ever have to pin your (globe) front sight to keep it from changing elevation?

How fragile was it?

Edited by DyNo!

Once I got it zeroed, I did have it pinned so henceforth it shall not move.

Never had an issue with the sight. I think it is actually more durable than the less protected skinny front posts just protected by ears.

The sight it'sself is NOT more durable, that is why you had to pin it. WAY too many moving parts fine screws etc. HOWEVER....it does a pretty darn good job of protecting the skinny little front post....as we both know! but hey once out of 13 years...well....even I can't complain toooo much, but the ears on the new one are MUCH taller :blush: