Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Found a piece on a revolver.

RevolverJockey

I just took the sight off my 627 PC no lock and saw this piece sticking up from the frame. It isn't spring loaded and fits comeletely under the rear sight leaf. Anyone have any idea why it is there? It I tip it over it will fall out, but I didn't look to see of it interfaces with anything inside. When apart for the trigger job a few weeks ago I didn't notice anything different about the internals. This has me baffled.

Lee

80aa2c4a.jpg

I would have to pull the side plate again to be sure and I don't want to unless it was needed which could be years unless I decide to cut the spur off. I will pill the pin when I get home and see how deep the hole is. It is strange to say the least.

Lee

The FP is retained by a pin thru the side of the frame, need to take the sideplate off, on earlier versions.

As Bob said it looks like they might have changed it on these models.

If it does retain the FP when you pull it out you can then remove the FP & Spring from the rear.

I can tell by the hammer that your gun is one of the early-run 627PCs distributed by Lew Horton. I believe that was the very first centerfire S&W model that had the frame-mounted firing pin, and it used a different system of retaining the FP, which was later abandoned in favor of the current retention system.

I can tell by the hammer that your gun is one of the early-run 627PCs distributed by Lew Horton. I believe that was the very first centerfire S&W model that had the frame-mounted firing pin, and it used a different system of retaining the FP, which was later abandoned in favor of the current retention system.

Mike,

I assume there is nothing wrong with this setup? If I decide at some point I need an extended FP or a replacement are the parts the same as the current one offered?

Lee

The firing pin is the same, it is just retained differently. You will also find that the hammer is taller than the newer N frames. I didn't cut up my hammer like this one since I figured that I could never find a replacement. You can use a newer hammer just fine on yours, it just won't go all the way to the top of the slot.

And actually, the smart play would be to pack up the 627PC and sell it to one of the little old hens on the S&W Forum who thinks the "no-lock" variation is a big deal. You could replace it with a current-production 627-5, which will work every bit as well, and pocket the difference!

And actually, the smart play would be to pack up the 627PC and sell it to one of the little old hens on the S&W Forum who thinks the "no-lock" variation is a big deal. You could replace it with a current-production 627-5, which will work every bit as well, and pocket the difference!

Funny you mention that as I have been thinking of selling it as I don't have a use for it. I would like a 6" 617 to use for steel and set my 4" as an optic only gun. Problem is I have a stash or hearthco clips, Brownells clips and a BMT tool. I would get killed selling it.

Lee

I notice it sold right away. See? I made you a couple hundred bucks right there.

I think the difference is I will probably do without one for a while. I would rather have a second 617 set up for optics I think. That may always change in the future. I do also have 1200 new Starline .38 special cases, lucky for me I have 10 other .38s.ee

Mitch_Rapp.45...is that the gun you are selling to me?

Yes, but if you have reconsidered it isn't too late. I wont be dropping it off with Mike till later today - let me know.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

Yup! That holds the firing pin in place. Remove the rear sight and it's just loose. I used a broken off drill till I got the correct piece from S&W. I think it was 5/64th's. Just try different bits till one fits perfectly, and one will, then seat it all the way in and just break it off. File for fit and appearance and you're good to go. Just make sure the top of the broken drill is pretty flush with the top of the frame or your rear sight won't have full adjustment range. Leave enough nub of the drill to grab w/ a needle nose so it can be removed. Been down that road. Now have 2 pins in the parts box. :cheers: