Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New shooter pistol for USPSA?

BobS761

Today my son turns 15. He is all into USPSA now and I'm going to get him his own pistol. I like my XDm 40 as it shoots well, and seems uncomplicated, so I'm considering another one for him. But, could there be a better choice for a new shooter? Size is not so important as he is a monster himself. Mostly looking for ease of operation. We will probably wind up in production or limited using a stock gun.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

B

You will get 100 different pistol based on 100 different replies haha. So I am starting off the list with my own recommendation... get a CZ. You can start off small and get a 75B and slowly add to it (hammer, sear, trigger, springs, sights, grips, etc) and customize it yourself. Or you can go to CZCustom.com and have them build you a rockin' race gun for Production that will be the smoothest thing you have ever shot.

Of course I am extremely biased.. so... yeah. :)

101.... How much money are you wanting to invest in him? Do you think he is going to be shooting a while or its just a short time thing?

In all honesty, if you can afford it, I would go ahead and dish out the cash on an STI 2011 of some type. Maybe an Apiero, a USPSA, an Edge or something. Maybe a used one off of the forum here, or one from dawson precision with all the kinks worked out fine tuned basic ready to hit the ground running.

The reason I say this is the grips can be easily and cheaply changed and modified if his hands grow. Rather than just having to deal with what you have and not really being able to change it as you would on an XDM. And its a pistol you can grow into, and not be left wanting. Its probably the most customizable and tuneable platform on the market. If he continues to shoot longterm, and gets better your going to end up having to dish out cash on one anyway and with inflation they are just going to be more expensive then than now. It will always hold its value. So if you can afford it, save the money and get one now rather than later.

A young shooter has a good chance of making themselves whatever he or she wants. Taking the game as far as they want. They have the best eye sight they will ever have. They are going to have the ability to be in the best physical shape they will ever be in. They learn faster, have better hand/eye coordination, gain muscle memory faster, and have the best chance of making GM's later as opposed to someone in their late 20's jumping into the game who is limited by the issues that come along with age. So you don't want them to be limited by their equipment in anyway if you think they have the drive or potential to stick with the game long term.

BTW this is coming from a Glock shooter...

Edited by lee blackman

what does he like to shoot? xdm, glock and m&p are all real popular in production around here. I personally shoot better with a cz compared to my m&p, but the difference is not dramatic. The m&p probably requires a bit less attention.

I'd say skill instruction and practice are probably more important than a particular gun in the long term.

I think the local shop has a used XD in .40. Going to look this afternoon. Like I said, caliber or even some recoil isn't going to be a issue, he's 6'5" and 220. Got hands like a bear. Sometimes I miss the days when I could hold his little hand and go for a walk. LOL! Last time was when he was about 6. :blink:

I think the local shop has a used XD in .40. Going to look this afternoon. Like I said, caliber or even some recoil isn't going to be a issue, he's 6'5" and 220. Got hands like a bear. Sometimes I miss the days when I could hold his little hand and go for a walk. LOL! Last time was when he was about 6. :blink:

why not share your gun for first year, save some $$$,

& see what he likes after a year of shooting?

Buy some lessons & ammo :cheers:

Thanks for all the advice! Turns out I bought the used XD. Nice piece in good shape for $419. We are taking advantage of coaching from the local shooters and practice mag changes and moving safely in the house. As for sharing, we still do, next match will feature papaw, me, and the little feller. I think pap is thinking of trading that SA Blackhawk. Now is the time to be thinking about a progressive reloader!

Thanks all,

B

• 2 weeks later...

a 550 press is awesome. Simple to get started and you can always move up and dedicate the 550 to a single caliber if you get a 650 or higher.

My advice on a gun (my very humble opinion) any striker fired gun. I started with a Glock 17. The parts are easily found, magazines are easy to come by and fairly inexpensive. It's simple to operate and reliable to the max. When he starts moving up in class the gun can be modified (lighter trigger ect...) to keep up with him. I'd also recomend an M&P 9mm pro. The great thing about starting in a minor power factor is it teaches you to shoot A's. Speed will come very quickly with dry fire but there's no replacement for good accuracy. Thats my 2 cents. Hope it helped.