Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What size (MOA) dot for a limited rifle with Cmore?

jnikoley

I have a light weight 16" upper with a cmore red dot I use for the local 3gun matches. None of the distances are beyond 25 yards, so I use a 12 MOA dot. What would be the best size dot to use if I wanted to also use it on occasion as a limited gun in other 3 gun matches with about half the targets at 50-100, half from 3-50, and occassional targets from 200-450? The rifle shoots about 1.5 MOA. Also, does changing the dot module on a cmore change the zero?

Thanks.

Edited by jnikoley

Hmm good to know. I have a cmore 8moa and have used it for short matches (60yds and in). I've been tempted to run it in a local rifle match, but our small targets are 10" plates at 200yards. Way too big for my 8moa dot in my opinion. I was wondering if I could get by with a 4moa or would need to go to 2moa. I can definitly see that a finer aiming point would be an advantage. Those cmores are darn hard to adjust for precision though.

When shooting at distance with a dot....I foundit is best to turn down the intensity. This way you can see the target....thru the dot. And its a good thing to think about especially if you use a 6MOA dot as it will cover a 12" plate at 200yds.

I zero at 200 with a 6MOA dot and at 300yds you are effectively covering an 18" dia area. I will move the center of the dot to the top of the plate (or a little higher).

I have used a 2MOA dot, but I need to turn the intensity up higher to find it that I find it to be a hinderance shooting plates over 300yds.

It has also been my experiance that while the CMORE dot is rather crisp.....the Leupold sight seems to be cleaner and the EOtech although grainy, is not bad either.

Just my $.02.....YMMV

Tim

I don't know that I have ever been able to zero a c-more with sufficient precision that it would have occurred to me to shoot that far with one. In addition I always found the c-more to exhibit a good bit of parallax ( check Dave Re's blog for an illustration ) http://re-gun.com/2011/04/parallax-he-aint-your-friend/

Not at all worried about parralax. A decent cheek weld will solve the worst parallax. Im more concerned with how well the cmore will hold zero, and of the ruggedness of the railway mount to hold zero. Accuracy wise I wouldn't expect better than 2.5-3.5 MOA with any red dot, unmagnified.. I'll have to see how well the cmore does at the test range when the new dot arrives.

I have a 6MOA on my Limited rifle but only use it for the short stuff. I use the irons with a 300 zero for the long stuff but then Limited is not really my thing for 3-Gun

Edited by TMC

I've had better luck with the 2 dot EOTech for limited, it's much better with a magnifier as well. The dots are sub 1moa and when it's dialed down low you can easily pick your hold on plate.

If you're set on the C-More definitely get the 2 minute dot, anything bigger will be a pain. You can get long range hits with a C-More, it just takes more work. Your head position has to be the same each time, as someone already said there's a pretty good bit of parallax error at range. Also, changing the dot module definitely changes the zero in my experience. With a magnifier the dots on several of mine look better than Aimpoints, ie more circular less like diagonal football.

When grounding the rifle be aware of the plastic body Cmore...I cracked the body and the zero went Waaaaay off. It was the secondary sight on my "open" rifle. But if you have been using it with good results more power to you....I now use the Alum model.

Edited by THM7