Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cracking sti slides

bassochist

I don't think you can make a leap of faith that STI open slides that have been tri-topped are going to crack.

The cuts on your slide look pretty aggressive. You have to put a lot of weight on the fact all these guns came from the same smith.

then explain to me why there are a dozen of guns from the same smith with even more agressive texture and cutting also tri topped, wich are much older (about 10 years with more than 60k of rounds trough it) and those guns still last.

As a metal fabricator, whenever something I built fails, I'm forced to examine not only the materials, but also the construction methods. If you tell me that I've built FIVE of something over a couple of years and they have all failed the same, I'm not blaming the material. I'm looking in the mirror.

As for why the others haven't failed, you've hit one key point... they're different. Conceivably he's made a change that has created this stress riser. Don't think that luck doesn't play a huge part into it too...

• 1 month later...

Not to be argumentative but it sounds like an gunsmith that was overly aggressive with the mill has created this problem. It sounds like he created a stress riser that is failing.

Blaming STI for it is sort of similar to blaming Chevrolet for a blown up motor if you put nitrous on it. It seems like the the gunsmith has made a mistake not STI.

Bingo !!!!

Not to be argumentative but it sounds like an gunsmith that was overly aggressive with the mill has created this problem. It sounds like he created a stress riser that is failing.

Blaming STI for it is sort of similar to blaming Chevrolet for a blown up motor if you put nitrous on it. It seems like the the gunsmith has made a mistake not STI.

Bingo !!!!

yeah... mine broke 200 rounds after my slide cuts where done. I am thinking it was there before the cuts. We have seen 10 slides with NO cuts crack in the same place mine did down here. dont know. but there sure is alot of slides breaking these days.

Not beeing a gunsmith I believe, that the crack at the ejection port has nothing to do with slide lightening. I guess that this is a result of the 173PF and the 9lb recoil spring.

Alex

Not beeing a gunsmith I believe, that the crack at the ejection port has nothing to do with slide lightening. I guess that this is a result of the 173PF and the 9lb recoil spring.

Alex

STI didnt think so. I told them the pf spring weight ect and they still warrantied it. Great company to stand behind their product. Lots of people run upwards of 175 pf and 8 lb springs.

better pics after striping the slide

highresslide8.jpg

highresslide5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A friend of mine had his factory STI slide crack in the same place. When we asked him about it, he said he put 20k rounds through leading up to the World Shoot, and often would shoot 100rnds at a time wihtout letting it cool down. He reckons that he may have re-tempered the metal by letting it get too hot.

• 3 weeks later...

Alex

STI didnt think so. I told them the pf spring weight ect and they still warrantied it. Great company to stand behind their product. Lots of people run upwards of 175 pf and 8 lb springs.

better pics after striping the slide

highresslide8.jpg

highresslide5.jpg

all the other slides of my fellow shooters cracked in the same place, and last month when i was at my gunsmith's store, there was a guy wich had a factory matchmaster with a cracked slide on the same place.

at this moment most of the slides are warrantied, others are still waiting but they gonna be warrantied too, but the shipping and the paperwork takes a lot of time.

Edited by bassochist

• 1 year later...

The tri topping all the way back definitely weakened the point at which it cracked. It's also quite possible the smith is doing the cuts too quickly and without a proper cooling agent which will heat temper the slide inappropriately.

I've heard a lot of reports of recent cracked STI slides and seen examples myself. I'm staying away from STI slides from now on.

I don't buy firing it too quickly causing the slide to be heat tempered. I'm going to stay with the theories I mentioned here. The slides on my open guns never heat up past the point where I can touch them, even after I run 300 rounds through them in less than a half hour.

Edited by Whoops!