Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decided to go with the Glock 34, but have a ?

Barks Fuller

Hello all,

I've been poking around quite a bit on these forums, and others, and had narrowed my choices down to either the Glock 34 or the S&W M&P9 Pro. Went to the range, rented both, and for my hands and my grip, the Glock won hands down. I don't want to start that debate all over again, but I had a question regarding magazines.

I own a few 1911's and I am well versed in the world of single stack after market .45 mags, but what about Glock? Do you all run factory Glock mags, or are there after market ones out there that are better? I don't have any real issues with the way they perform, but I've owned a few Glocks in the past and the magazines are so darned hard to load to capacity! I've got some Wilson ETM's for my 1911's that load like a dream all the way to the 8th round, but the factory Glock mags - not so much. Are there replacement springs you guys put in them? Or am I just out in left field and should just suck it up!

Thanks!

Shawn

I've never changed any of my springs in my Glock mags. If you are having trouble loading to capacity on a new mag, then load them and let them sit for a while. It's always done the trick for me. I'd also recommend the Uplula mag loader.....It does wonders ;)

Also, don't waste your time with off-brand magazines. Factory Glock mags are inexpensive, and from my experience much more reliable than the aftermarket magazines.

Edited by KyroWebs

Get the full capacity (17 round) mags...if your State allows that. You will be loading to 10 rounds in IDPA.

The 17 rounders are a bit better than the 10 rounders...if only for getting that 10 round in.

Glock mags are the best.

I'll second (and third) what the others have said...get the Glock magazines. I have a friend that tried to use the Korean copies, and they tended to spontaneously unload when they were left in the sun. It seems the soft plastic in the basepads gets even softer when they get hot. Like Kyle said, get the 17-rounders. They're easier to seat during a tac-load with ten rounds in them.

Thanks for all the replies. Glock mags it is. Unfortunately, I live in the People's Republik of Kalifornia, so 10 rounders are all I get.

:roflol:

Me too, welcome to the forum west coaster! I finally got an UpLula loader and cant believe I never had one before. You're right, I don't need it on my 1911 mags but it sure is nice on the glock mags. A couple of the local IDPA matches are about 100-125 rounds, they're not so bad on the thumb. But some of the USPSA matches and the local Action Pistol match can push 300 rounds. That's when I really love that loader.

I have let mine sit loaded as well and it does help, alot.

Kevin

Glock factory mags are the only real choice. At 19-22 dollars each, it isn't worth purchasing aftermarket mags.

Interestingly enough, I have seven 10 round mags that all took the 10th round without difficulty. I say interestingly enough because those seven mags are the exception not the rule for 10 round only mags.

• 2 weeks later...

For the record, I just put a Glock 35 in gun jail. Pickin her up in 10 days. Went with the .40 to use as home defense gun as well as IDPA. Seemed logical to me! Since I reload (got my RL 550 from this site a while ago) the cost won't be too much more. I can't wait to take her to the range!

:cheers:

• 2 months later...

Get the factory standard capacity mags (17 rounds) and leave the 10 round mags for the people who won't leave the commie states.

Thanks for being a tool to those of us who have obligations that keep us in liberal states.

I 2nd this. That mag loader is a godsend. But load the mags to full and leave em set for a few weeks. It'll help getting that last round in a bit easier. I've had one or two that's so stiff that i've loaded them to cap. And left them for a month or so.

Uplula mag loader...it's a gift from the shooting gods.

• 1 month later...

if you ever start getting double feed problems you're probably due for some spring changes. I alternate through 6 magazines that were all purchased new in December '11 and probably have a combined 6000 rounds through the lot (so like 1000 rds per mag) and have recently started having double feed problems with a few of the mags. New ISM plus P springs in all of them have fixed the problem. Just something to keep in mind for later.

• 4 weeks later...

Although a dedicated 1911oid shooter, I can recognize that part of Glock's reputation for reliability and durability is that nobody makes Glocks but Glock and Glock magazines are cheap and common so you don't have to get entangled with copies. There isn't anybody out there making knockoffs a little worse and a little cheaper to aggravate the shooters.

To the OP, you can buy high cap mags in California as long as they are in "parts" kits. Some shops that sell them take the 17 rd G34 mags off the wall, go in the back , disassemble them put them back in the package and sell them that way. Not sure what part of the state you are in, but if you are in the Sacramento area, Sacramento Black Rifle in Rocklin, has them in stock. You can also search Calguns.net for shops in your area. Also, the Uplula loader, as others have stated is a must!

• 5 weeks later...

I use a Glock 34 and shoot IDPA. I have 6 17 rnd mags and 7 10 rnd mags. I load the 17 rund mags with 11 rounds and use them for the initial load. My reload mags are all 10 round. This eliminates fumbling with getting a round in the chamber on the initial load and eliminates possibility of having too many rounds in reload mags. Our club matches have six stages so this setup pretty much eliminates having to load magazines during a match as typically only one reload per stage is needed. Works for me.

• 4 weeks later...