Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 thoughts for shooting

jkushner1

Hello All:

I am relatively new to IPSC and IDPA, I shoot on average 3-4 events a month including IPSC, IDPA and Steel (tried Bianchi and Pins also). Anyway, I know that practice is the reinforcement required but not to engrain bad habits. I want to stop now before I engrain any depper the habits I am developing. My primary teaching reference to date has been Matt Burketts DVD Practical Shooting set and a book called Fist Fire which describes a unique technique for holding a gun (I am not currently using their grip - too much to think about when trying to negotiate a stage - I dont practice enough - once a week on average). I always put safety first. Experienced shooters say that although my grip is correct that I am not holding on to the gun strongly enough and sometimes milk it (hands move all over the place). I also get ahead of myself trying to shoot too fast but have controlled that more recently. My accuracy is below average but not horrible. I started shooting 45 acp moved quickly to .40 (IPSC Limited and Limited 10) and have now purchased a Para LDA DAO 9mm 1911 for the production classes. My thinking here is that I should shoot the most controllable caliber and develop the proper habits then move back to .40 when ready - I also have a couple 1911 38 super limited guns. Anyway, MY QUESTION FOR THE MEMBERSHIP HERE IS:

I there 2-3 key thought sequence that I can use that pertains to fundamentals, for example, Grip-Front Sight-Squeeze, etc. I need some very simple basic repeatable thought sequence that I can think of at the beginning of and during a stage.

Please provide your advice.

Thanks in advance

JON

Drive the gun by watching the sights! You should see them through the entire process of each shot. You may not need to have your eyes focused on the sights, but you need to be aware of what they are doing (see what you need to see B) ) If you are aware of what the sights are doing, you can subconciously will them to go where you need, and you can conciously analyze how your grip and stance are controlling the way your sights move, and then adjust to make them move less, or "better".

DogmaDog

If you need something to think, think "Front Sight, Front Sight, Front Sight". For grip/stance issues, follow Matt's advice-- mark your hands and do his timing drills (on his web site if not on tape) for a while. Skip the Fist-Fire for now.

Funny. A year or so ago I wrote 3 phrases in the bill of my (shooting) hat:

- Relax

- Don't Rush

- Trust

But, those three things, likely, won't be of much use to you. There are a couple of reasons why they might not work for anybody but me:

1. Those words have a specific meaning to me, especially in relation to my shooting.

2. Those were three things that were pretty important to me and my shooting at the time. Things I needed to execute to perform well. A shooter at a differenet level may have other issues that are more important to their shooting.

JON,

If there is one thing you must do, a core fundamental that can't be escaped, it is to call each and every shot.

The "see what you need to see" is a form of this. You need to be able to see enough when you release a shot to know where the bullet is going to hit...without a doubt.

You aren't currently doing this (based on your own description of your accuracy).

If you have the gun properly aligned and on target...as the bullet leaves the barrel...it is impossible to miss.

If you have the gun properly aligned and on target...as the bullet leaves the barrel...it is impossible to miss.

And when you can see the sights aligned on the target as the bullet leaves the barrel, you'll know where your round will strike the target. Welcome to the forums, Jon. If you want we can try to chat about this on Sunday.....

Thanks Nik - the world is truly smaller thanks to technology (and the workings of the big man upstairs I think). I first emailed you about sunday, then saw your name on Eric Wesselberg's web site and also emailed Eric that I would be shooting with you this weekend. Now I get your feedback on Brians web site - wow !!

Have a great evening

Funny.  A year or so ago I wrote 3 phrases in the bill of my (shooting) hat:

-  Relax

-  Don't Rush

-  Trust

Kyle

You know its now transferred like a tatoo to your forehead but I could never make it out Guess I needed a mirror? :D:lol::lol::)

Jon

All advice above is very good. A lot of it is advanced and first you must be able to hit the A or head box on demand in practice. If you can't then it will not "magically " happen in a match. A match demonstrates what you have practiced and mastered. Don't be afraid to practice at 3 yards. I still do alot. Actually you will see errors easier since you know where the bullet should hit. You also need to practice distance but I am trying to make a point. If we were in person I could demo it in 10 seconds.

As a beginner there is so much going on that its a hard call to what you need to do. For example "front sight front sight" doesn't do too much good if you are flinching shots 8 inches low. I would get a very good shooter(see demo comment) to shoot a couple times with you and analyze and coach your grip/stance/sight/trigger, and also film yourself. Then you can break it down in practice. Now I will say if you are missing targets, then, STOP IT. Not trying to be a smart--- but you will find out this is an accuracy sport now, or with much more effort, later. You must hit the target to do well. Sure can you speed your way to a C class club win? Yea until a good C class shooter shows up. You will need to hit the target, fast or slow, whatever it takes. You are so far ahead about pledging to NOT develop bad habits.

After you establish your grip (if you are thinking about it at all you need more practice) it should never be in doubt you have the perfect grip for you. Do a search there are volumes on this, even pictures floating around.

1. Find the target

2. See the sight picture you need to see to call the shot

4. Break the shot

3. Watch the sight (dot) lift

4. Repeat for every shot until there are no more targets or you are out of ammo :)

Remember there are no "tricks" to shooting fast. It is something that comes from reacting what you see, and training your body to react to your vision. The faster you learn to call every shot, the less hesitation you will have when breaking shots and that is where true speed comes from, doing no more than is necessary to put your bullets where you want them.

Ps. READ Brian's book, it is worth ten times what he charges.

Beginning (in general) by shooting IPSC/IDPA matches can ingrain horrible habits. If you're serious about improving, I'd recommend devoting all your practice time to mastering the fundamentals, then don't think about anything but calling your shots in a match. (After you visualize the stage in detail that is.) ;)

be

What does it feel like to shoot A's? (it feels great. my squad congratulates me, the RO calls 2 alpha over and over)

What does it look like to shoot A's? (The dot centers itself on the target and the gun fires automatically)

I'm Ready to shoot A's.

SA

When you're actually shooting, try to ask yourself 3 things:

1. What are you seeing?

2. What are your thinking?

3. What the heck are you doing?! :lol::ph34r:

There's a thread around here about the first things I learned about IPSC or something. Some of those postings may help you. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Shooting A's should come automatic, i'm sure it does to Steve Anderson at this point. do it enough and people tease you when you get a charlie and if it's a mike they call it a double and you have to correct them.

if you want to shoot A's you HAVE to relax. tension only changes how things work in your body. just give yourself plenty of time to do what u need to do. you cna't shoot fast enough to make up for missing.

I forgot this was a "three things" thread.

Learn what it means to call your shots, with precision.

Train that until it becomes the normal way of operating.

Stop trying and start watching. Let what you see guide the action.

a good teacher will speed up the learning process. if you have the chance to enroll in one of the training classes, that would be best.

1. learn the HOW of the process, and be able to do it repeatedly.

2. master your equipment and know how it handles.

3. practice, practice, practice