Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack vs Double Stack

plsexton

My buddies have finally gotten me shooting some IDPA matches with them and I really enjoy it. I've gotten a glock 34 set up that is running really well but I sure do miss shooting a steel gun. I see a lot of single stack 1911s having all kinds of feeding problems and a lot of posts on this forum about feeding or ejection issues. My question is do the 2011 double stacks tend to have as many feeding or ejection probems as the SS? I'd like to get a reliable 9mm steel gun to shoot but I don't know if I should get a 1911 or spend the extra money for a 2011. And commets and suggestions would be appreciated.

You can go either route you would prefer. The problems that you see are not inherent issues with the model of pistol; they have to do with who built it, what crazy "shadetree" mods have been done to it and what kind of low-power out of spec reloads are being run through it. Determine which style of pistol you want to play with and then find the right maker/'smith to get you a reliable version. Once you have found all that, remember that any changes that you make to the gun, the magazines, or the ammo could cause issues with reliability.

And, there are other "steel" pistols out that that you can consider as well, CZ's, Beretta's, etc...

You can go either route you would prefer. The problems that you see are not inherent issues with the model of pistol; they have to do with who built it, what crazy "shadetree" mods have been done to it and what kind of low-power out of spec reloads are being run through it. Determine which style of pistol you want to play with and then find the right maker/'smith to get you a reliable version. Once you have found all that, remember that any changes that you make to the gun, the magazines, or the ammo could cause issues with reliability.

And, there are other "steel" pistols out that that you can consider as well, CZ's, Beretta's, etc...

cheers.gif

As to 1911 vs. 2011 or any other platform, see if you can talk with others at your IDPA matches to see why others have chosen one over the other. Most shooters are very generous with information and some will even let you test drive (shoot) their guns.

Not being as IDPA participant, I'm not sure about the equipment rules for their divisions. Others here are much more well versed on that topic. I know that all of the specifics are detailed in their rulebook.

A well fitted and tuned 1911/2011 will run...they aren't cheap but they run and they are a joy to shoot. Most 1911's with issues are either poorly fitted or poorly fed. They can all be picky at times about reloads and certain bullet profiles and cheap magazines are a prime cause of failures.

I've had $500 Springfields that ran all day and others (most) that needed some tuning... I've had $2000 Wilson's and Les Baer's that also have needed tuning (very few) but the usual result is a gun that runs.

Single stacks are great but I LOVE my STI. Better feel (in my hand anyway) and lightning fast reloads with those double stack mags and big hole in the grip! I either have my 1911's built or build them myself. I almost never buy from a "shop" any more...except a good custom shop that will build what I want. It costs a little more but man what a difference in the outcome.

Most single stack 45's and 9mm's ssem to perform very reliably. It appears that 1911's in 40S&W are more finnicky feeders but my Dan Wesson Pointman in 40 S&W had been very reliable. My only experience with wide bodied 1911's are PO's in 9mm, 40 & 45 and they all have been very reliable.

There is not much use for a 1911 double stack pistol in IDPA. You are limited to 10 rounds in the magazine in most divisions and 8 in Custom Defensive Pistol which requires a 1911 in .45 caliber. So, you can use a single stack in 9mm and get 10 in the magazine for Enhanced Service Pistol while Stock Service Pistol is reserved for guns like Glocks and Sigs. It is in USPSA where 1911 double stacks (called 2011s) are common for Limited, Open, and many use them for Limited 10.

Most 1911s that are maintained properly, are fed by good quality magazines and haven't been "modified" by a non-gunsmith run very well in my experience.

shooting IDPA and I really enjoy it. I miss shooting a steel gun. I'd like to get a reliable 9mm steel gun to shoot

PLSexton, if you're going to shoot IDPA, there's no advantage to a

double stack.

I believe, if you're after a reliable 9mm, you're better off

with a Sig or a CZ which were built to be 9mm's, rather than

a 1911 or 2011 which were meant to be .45's. IMHO.

If you're thinking of USPSA instead, think STI .40, or if you

want to shoot 9mm, think Sig or CZ. :cheers:

There is not much use for a 1911 double stack pistol in IDPA. You are limited to 10 rounds in the magazine in most divisions and 8 in Custom Defensive Pistol which requires a 1911 in .45 caliber. So, you can use a single stack in 9mm and get 10 in the magazine for Enhanced Service Pistol while Stock Service Pistol is reserved for guns like Glocks and Sigs. It is in USPSA where 1911 double stacks (called 2011s) are common for Limited, Open, and many use them for Limited 10.

Most 1911s that are maintained properly, are fed by good quality magazines and haven't been "modified" by a non-gunsmith run very well in my experience.

9mm and .40 2011s with bushing barrels can play in ESP.

CDP is not limited to 1911s.

the advantage to using a double stack in IDPA vs a single stack is 100% reloads (and grip if it fits you better, but that is personal so it doesnt count all the time)

big hole + tapered mag is easier than small hole + no taper

I see a lot of single stack 1911s having all kinds of feeding problems and a lot of posts on this forum about feeding or ejection issues. And commets and suggestions would be appreciated.

I am a 1911 driver, and do not have any feeding issues with my 1911s. I run a .45 Leas Baer TRS, a STI Spartan 9mm, and a Alchemy Custom .40 cal all in the 1911 platform. I also reload so my guns are dialed in.

I agree with a lot of the other posts on here about fitting etc. the reloads just need to be consistant and the person doing the reloading is to blame there most of the time.

You can make a RIA or even a taurus run as smooth as the expensive ones by proper fitting of the frame, slide, and barrel. a clean gun will also help the reliability during a match.

the 2011's usually run like a top because you pay top dollar to get them that way and be custom fit at the factory. where some of the cheaper 1911 platforms lack some of the quality control.

Just my two cents.