Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

good moon clips

joedodge

So I've been using ranch moon clips and Wilson moon clips they work great my reposed are smooth and getting quicker my cylinder is chamfered nicely but would a hearthco that holds the rounds super tight and doesn't let them sag or rattle really improve my performance is it worth the cost

So I've been using ranch moon clips and Wilson moon clips they work great my reposed are smooth and getting quicker my cylinder is chamfered nicely but would a hearthco that holds the rounds super tight and doesn't let them sag or rattle really improve my performance is it worth the cost

For .45 I don't know that they would offer that much improvement, but I've only tried them once. For .38 in a 8-shot they would be about mandatory.

Matt

I've tried others but hearthco's are the best for my .38 super 8 shot. Cleanest most consistent reloads I think b/c of the snug consistent hold. I guard my hearco's like gold. Actually I guard my gold like hearthco's.

I've not tried the Hearthcos in the 610 yet.. haven't gotten my hands on any.. I've used the RIMZ for several years and they seem to hold 40's pretty well. The brass in a 40 is fairly short compared to a 38 and they just don't move all that much since the rimz keep them pretty snug regardless of brand of brass unlike the metal moon clips that tend to favor specific kinds of brass, especially in the 38 super/38 sc/38 lc/38 spl calibers.

I think I remember Jerry saying on a video, that a little looseness is a good thing. Talking about 45s. I can't say about anything but Ranch, since that's all I've used. The clips for the 8 shooters are made for a specific head stamp, I think.

another factor would be how you do your reloads. Jerry all but throws them at the cyl in the videos that I've seen as compared to some of the 6&8 shooters that look em in all the way.

I've not tried the Hearthcos in the 610 yet.. haven't gotten my hands on any.. I've used the RIMZ for several years and they seem to hold 40's pretty well. The brass in a 40 is fairly short compared to a 38 and they just don't move all that much since the rimz keep them pretty snug regardless of brand of brass unlike the metal moon clips that tend to favor specific kinds of brass, especially in the 38 super/38 sc/38 lc/38 spl calibers.

Kind of a drift, but how do you get the Rimz to work with your 610? They don't fit mine by a lot.

Lee

I use the Hearthco Moonclips in all my revolvers in Major matches...............PERIOD !!!!!!!!!

I did some testing about 5-7 years ago with my 25-2 (45 acp.....not GAP like CLIFF tried)

I took an average of 20 reloads of standard Ranch/Brownells ect vs. Hearthco and it came up(at that time) 2.25 with the Standard moonclips and 2.01 with the Hearthcos.....NOT a big difference but a difference.

At the nationals that year we had somewhere around 60 reloads. so lets do the math.....

2.25-2.01=.24 (so let's round it to .25 or a quarter of a second)

60 reloads x .25 = 15 seconds

Not much you say, BUT if I can shave 15 seconds off my overall time at the Nationals without ever firing a shot it is worth it to me !!!! ;););)

It really boils down to do you think they will help you versus the cost of getting them ?

I Do and I Do shoot them !!!!!!!

Good luck and hope to see you on the range somewhere

Hopalong/Sam

The RIMZ were made based on the 610-2 and will work with the 610-3. I think the manufacturer did not have a 610 original model to try to make his clips with. You may want to contact the gent making them to work with him if you have a model earlier than the 610-2.

Wear can I find hearthco moons

Go here and order a few to try. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

http://www.moonclips.com/

I use them in my 627. If you use your gun for play then buy any clip. If you want to use your gun on the clock to become the best you can then, get a few of hearthco's and try them out. I just bought another batch because my wife with her heartho's is starting to beat me. Buy once, cry once. You will be glad you did.

Edited by Ty Hamby

I use them in my 627. If you use your gun for play then buy any clip. If you want to use your gun on the clock to become the best you can then, get a few of hearthco's and try them out. I just bought another batch because my wife with her heartho's is starting to beat me. Buy once, cry once. You will be glad you did.

"Buy once, cry once" Could this be the new Hearthco marketing theme? I guess its better than the original theme.

"Buy once, cry once" Could this be the new Hearthco marketing theme? I guess its better than the original theme.

Hey, your product just works. It isn’t almost perfect, it is perfect. Folks can buy a less expensive product if they wish. Then try another, and another. In the end if they are serious about reloading a 627 faster than my wife they will buy your product.

You have my address; please forward all royalties for the new marketing theme to me. :roflol:

I've been using the Ranch ones for about two years and with no complaints. I took the plunge and bought some of the TK Custom ones and I can tell the difference in reloading. It might all be in my head, but I think that the TK fully loaded moon clips (.45ACP in my 625) fall into the holes quicker and smoother. I only have ten, so I am stripping and loading at a match but to me at least, it is worth the hassle.

For .45 I don't know that they would offer that much improvement, but I've only tried them once. For .38 in a 8-shot they would be about mandatory.

Matt

Not if you use W-W nickeled brass - thew rAnch Products moonclis hold them quite tight.

• 2 weeks later...

Cry once?

Ty just hasn't has his long enough.

Every time the're stepped on...

"It's crying time again"

:roflol: :roflol:

Cry once?

Ty just hasn't has his long enough.

Every time the're stepped on...

"It's crying time again"

There was a time when I considered a "Hearthco Valueline" product....... NOT!!!!!

:roflol:

Edited by hearthco

I made the mistake of buying some moon clips for my 627 using 38 short colt brass. I hadn't heard the company name before but since they were designed for the short colt I thought I[d give them a try.

Big mistake.

I ordered 20. They came in two little plastic bags. When I was checking them out I noticed that many of the sprongs were bent and a few of the moons were not straight.

Of the 20 moons, 8 were so bad I couldn't straigtend them with my moon straightening tool.

Back to HEARTCO for me. They are worth they extra money.

• 3 weeks later...

My Hearthco clips were being walked on by my fellow shooters when they went up to patch.... A big expensive PITA. I trash talked the Hearthco clips as being too flimsy and Mr. Hearth offered my money back. I was very impressed with his professional integrity and quality standards. I had bought a bunch of competors clips only to find that they often lost a bullet out of the clip 2-3 times per competition . So I kept my expensive/ highest quality Hearthco clips, use them for competitions only and recruit friends to quickly pick up my clips befor the cromagnons stomp all over them again. Thanks to Hearthco for a fine product, they are worth every cent.

Edited by Brian B

So I kept my expensive/ highest quality Hearthco clips, use them for competitions only and recruit friends to quickly pick up my clips befor the cromagnons stomp all over them again. Thanks to Hearthco for a fine product, they are worth every cent.

;) Now you got the right idea. I hang with a group of 4 or 5 friends who all have spent good hard earned money on Heathco's. It is a rare day for me when I unload, show clear, close cylinder, turn around and not have every clip I threw on the ground right there being handed back. We all look out for each others clips. Those ranch guys can pick up there own dang clips. lol :sight: