Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Match. New Powder?

brhalolll

I was able to shoot my first match with my open gun. I haven't shot a match for several years. We'll see how the scores turn out in a couple of days.

I have been loading VV N350 and 3N38. Started with 1 lb of each and both are virtually gone. Several shooters at the match told me they are shooting Winchester AutoComp. I know everyone has an opinion on powder, but I am thinking about trying it out. The VV powders are expensive.

Longshot will work, 3n37, and my favorite....VV N105...Thing is, with an open gun, you want about as much powder as you can cram into the case to produce as much gas as you can, so it works the comp better. With my N105 load, I gets lots of gas (10.5 grains).

Auto comp is fine. I use it for 9mm major & 9mm sub gun loads (minor). Bought it when it first came out...that's all I use anymore. Sold my supply of hs6.. (too dirty for me). I've used the vv's mentioned, yes, they are clean & costly, sometimes hard to find...

Edited by mike NM

At this point, I am just having a hard time justifying the cost. I am not sure that I am shooting at a level where gas volume is going to make the difference for me. I am not certain that VV powders truly produce more gas to make the compensator work better. Is there data on this somewhere?

I was able to shoot my first match with my open gun. I haven't shot a match for several years. We'll see how the scores turn out in a couple of days.

I have been loading VV N350 and 3N38. Started with 1 lb of each and both are virtually gone. Several shooters at the match told me they are shooting Winchester AutoComp. I know everyone has an opinion on powder, but I am thinking about trying it out. The VV powders are expensive.

Try Autocomp. Only you and the timer can judge. I know several guys use it for 9 Major. I tried autocomp, and I like 3N37 and 3N38 a lot more.

FullRace - The cost of powder is not a huge issue to me, but still if I am shooting 1-3K rounds per month it seems like a savings. If they were close in cost like 30 bucks probably not a big deal. However, it is about 75 dollars more on 8lbs. Basically, 151% of AutoComp.

Well, tomorrow is a new match and a new powder. I also am picking up a case of MG 124 CMJs. Wish me luck. I have to shoot a couple of rounds before the match to ensure I am zeroed, since I had the front screw on the C-More fall out on Thursday.

My old load was 7.9gr 3N37. With 4lb jugs at $97 that works out to $27.37 per thousand rounds.

Autocomp is cheaper and you need less. IIRC I worked up a load of 7.1gr. With 8lb jugs at $122 that works out to $15.47 per thousand rounds.

Not that big of a difference is it? And this is ignoring shipping and hazmat, which would narrow the difference further.

Point being, powder is by far the cheapest component of a loaded round. So shoot the powder you like, and don't worry about what it costs. Find a cheaper source of brass or primers or bullets instead.

At any rate, try 7625 and HS-6.

Hello: I shoot 9mm open and like the HS-6 the best of all the powders I've tried. Auto Comp and 3N37 are close in feel and clean burning. 3N37 is a little harsher on the hand. HS-6 shoots softer with great dot tracking and a bit dirtier but not bad when you run the power factor up to 173. My comp likes it better up there with the Montana Gold 115 JHP's. The other advantage of HS-6 is that you can find it and it is cheaper than 3N37 :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Well, tomorrow is a new match and a new powder. I also am picking up a case of MG 124 CMJs. Wish me luck. I have to shoot a couple of rounds before the match to ensure I am zeroed, since I had the front screw on the C-More fall out on Thursday.

if you get a chance, try an accuracy test with those cmj's. I bought into them a while ago thinking, hot dang, no lead in comp, and i get the nose of an FMJ. but the accuracy was poor in my open gun, and the 124 JHP's shot circles around them. they were way more accurate. i read that it may have something to do with how much bullet is touching the rifling when its fired. i dunno. just pay attention to it. i may be wrong. ymmv

Hello: I shoot 9mm open and like the HS-6 the best of all the powders I've tried. Auto Comp and 3N37 are close in feel and clean burning. 3N37 is a little harsher on the hand. HS-6 shoots softer with great dot tracking and a bit dirtier but not bad when you run the power factor up to 173. My comp likes it better up there with the Montana Gold 115 JHP's. The other advantage of HS-6 is that you can find it and it is cheaper than 3N37 :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Aircooled6racer, what was you load on this? What gun, caliber, barrel?

One thing to consider. Open guns are different from other division guns.

One shooter might recommend AutoComp but that doesn't mean you will have the same results when used in your open gun.

Comp/Port configuration, reciprocating mass dynamics, etc. are some of the factors that affect perceived recoil.

Try a little first, then buy some more if you like it. Load development can be costly if done in haste.

Another thing to consider is that even the most expensive powder (VV 3n38/ VV N105) are still cost-acceptable in comparison to bullet cost.

On my last calculation, powder cost (3N38) is still the cheapest among the components.

My 2 cent