Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any nutrition experts out there?

tackdr1ver

After reading tons of stuff on maintaining a good diet for athletes I am more confused than when I began. It seems like there are a billion different schools of thought!

Anyone willing to help me formulate a plan on a proper diet?

My main questions are:

Multiple(4-6) small meals a day or, three average sized meals?

Low carbs, no carbs, high carbs?

What should I avoid and what should I gravitate to?

Also, are there any good diet plans or templates you would suggest?

Right now i'm tipping the scales at 207-ish. I would like to be between 190-195. Looking to burn fat and keep a high level of energy, I have never dieted before and I don't know where to begin really.

I have had a lot of success over the years with a "Paleo" diet.. which is basically eating good quality meats, lots of fruits and veggies, and largely cutting out refined foods like sugar, bread, pasta, rice etc. The best site I have found to describe the concepts is - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

The diet is kind of low carb in the sense that most of the processed foods are carb heavy, but you still eat a decent amount of carbs via fruits and veggies.

I lost about 70lbs over 18 months eating this diet and working out heavily using Crossfit concepts. www.crossfit.com

There are any number of other diets out there which will help lose weight. I tried Atkins, South Beach, Zone, etc etc for years, and while they work, I find it hard to sustain them over time. Paleo is simple and fairly easy to follow for long periods of time.. In other words, it becomes more of an eating lifestyle vs. just a diet.

If weight loss is your main goal, definitely eat smaller meals more often, regardless of what diet protocol you decide to follow.

i tip the scales at 207. I would like to be 190-195. Looking to burn fat and keep a high level of energy

Tack, the idea is to cut down (Not out) of

simple carbs (white bread, sugar, etc) and eat

a lot of complex carbs (whole wheat/grains, etc)

and cut down on the fats/oils.

Don't have to cut anything out, just down.

We eat too much of fats/oils and simple carbs

= they'll kill you.

Worst foods in the world - anything from a cow,

ice cream, fried potatoes (french or chips),

anything sweet, cheeses, etc.

Moderation - cut back on the bad, and increase

the good (fruits, vegetables, complex carbs.

I have had a lot of success over the years with a "Paleo" diet.. which is basically eating good quality meats, lots of fruits and veggies, and largely cutting out refined foods like sugar, bread, pasta, rice etc. The best site I have found to describe the concepts is - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

The diet is kind of low carb in the sense that most of the processed foods are carb heavy, but you still eat a decent amount of carbs via fruits and veggies.

I lost about 70lbs over 18 months eating this diet and working out heavily using Crossfit concepts. www.crossfit.com

There are any number of other diets out there which will help lose weight. I tried Atkins, South Beach, Zone, etc etc for years, and while they work, I find it hard to sustain them over time. Paleo is simple and fairly easy to follow for long periods of time.. In other words, it becomes more of an eating lifestyle vs. just a diet.

If weight loss is your main goal, definitely eat smaller meals more often, regardless of what diet protocol you decide to follow.

Wow 70 lbs!!! Congratulations, that is something! Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely check it out.

How did you like cross fit? It looks pretty intense, I don't know if I could handle getting into something like that right now.

i tip the scales at 207. I would like to be 190-195. Looking to burn fat and keep a high level of energy

Tack, the idea is to cut down (Not out) of

simple carbs (white bread, sugar, etc) and eat

a lot of complex carbs (whole wheat/grains, etc)

and cut down on the fats/oils.

Don't have to cut anything out, just down.

We eat too much of fats/oils and simple carbs

= they'll kill you.

Worst foods in the world - anything from a cow,

ice cream, fried potatoes (french or chips),

anything sweet, cheeses, etc.

Moderation - cut back on the bad, and increase

the good (fruits, vegetables, complex carbs.

Jack, thank you too for your reply. You basically said all the foods I love: meats, cheese, dairy and potatoes. I have known this for a long time but damn, when you love certain things its just too damn hard to to let them go sometimes.

This sounds like it will be a complete lifestyle change in the end as I have staple foods I reach for time and time again.

Do you have any suggestions on portion sizes?

Tack, you're trying to lose 15 lbs:)

That's easy. I lost 30 lbs ...

Eat as much as you want, anytime you want,

but cut back on the bad carbs/fats, and

you will lose your 15 lbs.

No need to go hungry, or not eat your

favorite foods - that's really difficult.

Just cut back -moderate - and eat more of

the healthy stuff.

You'll lose the weight - will take two months,

but the weight will drop off.

Especially if you bump up your current

exercise program - again, don't overdo it -

just bump it up by 15 -20 minutes/day.

Great combo ...

Jack

I will second the vote for Paleo/Primal (marksdailyapple.com)

I have lost 100lbs in 9 months, my wife has lost 65lbs... three months ago our house burnt down and we haven't exercised a single time since then and STILL lost weight beyond my initial goals from the Paleo/Primal lifestyle alone. If people want to chat about details, please feel free to message me. I am a huge supporter of Paleo/Primal as it has really changed my life, with measurable and real effects.

Best of luck in your weight loss brother.

:)

Tack, you're trying to lose 15 lbs:)

That's easy. I lost 30 lbs ...

Eat as much as you want, anytime you want,

but cut back on the bad carbs/fats, and

you will lose your 15 lbs.

No need to go hungry, or not eat your

favorite foods - that's really difficult.

Just cut back -moderate - and eat more of

the healthy stuff.

You'll lose the weight - will take two months,

but the weight will drop off.

Especially if you bump up your current

exercise program - again, don't overdo it -

just bump it up by 15 -20 minutes/day.

Great combo ...

Jack

Jack,

I hope you're right and it is as easy as you say. Thank you for the words of encouragement. Definitely need to put an exercise plan together and stick to it. Just something simple that will help lean me up, add a bit of muscle and tone. A while(5 years+/-?) back I had started a pretty rigorous workout plan then my grandmother died, I never went back to working out. It was like a switch went off and I lost all interest. Gotta snap out of it and get moving.

So far I have given up booze and beer. Losing the weight and quitting smoking are next on the list. I think if I quit drinking, smoking and all the foods I love at the same time I would have a freaking meltdown. Trying to be realistic in not biting off more than I can chew at one time.

I will second the vote for Paleo/Primal (marksdailyapple.com)

I have lost 100lbs in 9 months, my wife has lost 65lbs... three months ago our house burnt down and we haven't exercised a single time since then and STILL lost weight beyond my initial goals from the Paleo/Primal lifestyle alone. If people want to chat about details, please feel free to message me. I am a huge supporter of Paleo/Primal as it has really changed my life, with measurable and real effects.

Best of luck in your weight loss brother.

Pensfan,

Wow, 100lbs in 9 months is freaking unreal man! Kick ass & Congratulations!

Thanks for chiming in here. I am going to look into the paleo diet and see if it will be a fit with me. Sounds like a winner for you and your wife. And thank you for the offer for consultation, once I get more info, im sure i'll have some questions.

I have to commend you on your positive attitude, losing your home has to be very difficult. The fact that you continued to lose weight during such a tough time is amazing to me. Hang in there man & thanks!

How did you like cross fit? It looks pretty intense, I don't know if I could handle getting into something like that right now.

I like Crossfit a lot but it definitely beat me up when I was doing it 4-5 time a week for a couple years. I just turned 40 and my knees have a hard time sustaining that level of intensity. I still do Crossfit, but I have ratcheted back on how often I do it. My main fitness goals are to be fit enough for USPSA and be able to be fit enough to survive sudden life challenges, so a modest level of crossfit gets me where I need to be fitness wise. The nice thing about Crossfit (if you go to a good gym or do it yourself correctly) is that it scales to your fitness level.

Good luck with your goals!

I have to throw my vote in for the Paleo Diet as well. I've lost 40 pounds in the past year, have tons of energy, and not once have I felt like I was going to starve to death. In addition, my overall health has improved greatly. I haven't suffered so much as a cold in the past year. Also, any pain I might have felt in my joints before has gone away. Oh, and my seasonal allergies have got better. Its been one of the best things I've ever done in my life. I'm just ticked off I waited so long before learning about and adopting the Paleo lifestyle.

I would recommend getting one of the books on the subject written by either Rob Wolff, or Loren Cordain. Both do a great job explaining the diet and the science behind it.

If you're going to get into some kind of exercise program the best way to maximize the results is to dial in your diet as well. Before going Paleo I worked out but grew frustrated because of the lack of results. When I did Paleo in addition to exercise (CrossFit), the results have been fast and phenomenal. I figure if I'm going to try to build a Ferrari out of my body I need to feed it good fuel. If I feed it bad fuel it won't run much better than an old Yugo :lol:

Ok, I've ranted long enough. I just can't say enough good things about the Paleo Diet. Definitely give it a try :)

Another vote for Paleo.

I'm down 125lbs in 9 months of Paleo and crossfit.

Edit : make that 126.4 :cheers:

Rock on Spanky!! That is amazing!!

I know need to add crossfit to my routine as well. I joined a meetup group for Paleo/Primal people awhile ago and do some crossfit type workouts with them sporadically. Several of the members are also crossfit instructors so they run the WODs for us.

Today I am seeing my ortho surgeon regarding some shoulder pain since I started doing some burpees and the 100 pushup challenge at home. I am hoping it is just some remnants of old old surgery and can be fixed easily. When it is all good again, I am looking to join a crossfit gym.

My wife is in school to be a Dietitian, applying for internships right now. Not to long ago i was 215 now i am 183, and have not been on a single "fad" diet. I have kept it off for a year. She tells me that the "fad" diets will help loose weight fast but the odds are that 90% of the people will gain it back. Also it is not healthy to loose more than 1 lbs per week. A guide that dietitians follows is -1500 calories equals 1lbs loss. What it did was not cut out anything, i just followed the "rules". Eat less protein (meat, Americans eat too much meat),at least 2 servings of veggies and fruits. I even kept having deserts after dinner, but would limit to 100-150 calories. You should have the same amount of veggies as your protein on your plate. Also watch your sodium intake you should only have 900mg of sodium per day. I was surprised how much salt i was eating. At first i just cut my calories by 250 per day and loss 15 lbs. I then started running and was able to up my calories a bit to cover my energy needs. You don't need a fancy diet to loose weight and stay healthy. Just be smart if it is highly possessed then it will be high in fat or sodium and not good. And no Organic is not healthier (in my opinion it is a waist of money). Take it from me as i am a farm manager.

Edited by jarozzy

I wouldn't call Paleo a fad diet. There's science and common sense behind it. Eating lean meat, seafood, vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds is solid nutrition... It also happens to be the same as a diet that appears to be a fad at a glance. There are constantly increasing numbers of doctors and athletes that swear by it.

As for simple carbs vs complex carbs (white vs whole grain)... polysaccharides are all sugar by the time they get into the blood stream. Get the most nutrition from your carbs as you can, ie fruits and vegetables

+1 on the organic not being much different as far as fruits and veggies go, but there is a serious benefit to grass fed beef or better yet, venison.

Edited by entropic

My wife is in school to be a Dietitian, applying for internships right now. Not to long ago i was 215 now i am 183, and have not been on a single "fad" diet. I have kept it off for a year. She tells me that the "fad" diets will help loose weight fast but the odds are that 90% of the people will gain it back. Also it is not healthy to loose more than 1 lbs per week. A guide that dietitians follows is -1500 calories equals 1lbs loss. What it did was not cut out anything, i just followed the "rules". Eat less protein (meat, Americans eat too much meat),at least 2 servings of veggies and fruits. I even kept having deserts after dinner, but would limit to 100-150 calories. You should have the same amount of veggies as your protein on your plate. Also watch your sodium intake you should only have 900mg of sodium per day. I was surprised how much salt i was eating. At first i just cut my calories by 250 per day and loss 15 lbs. I then started running and was able to up my calories a bit to cover my energy needs. You don't need a fancy diet to loose weight and stay healthy. Just be smart if it is highly possessed then it will be high in fat or sodium and not good. And no Organic is not healthier (in my opinion it is a waist of money). Take it from me as i am a farm manager.

i eat too much meat and have lost way more than a pound a week (average of 3 to be exact) on a fad diet. :cheers:

Edited by spanky

Same here spanky... Lost over 100lbs, cholesterol dropped 60pts (under 200, ratios around 3.5 IIRC), blood pressure dropped 40pts (under 115/75), standing heart rate dropped 20pts (around 60bpm), and fasting blood sugar dropped 10pts (under 90).

My Doc and my family love my fad diet.

I wouldn't call Paleo a fad diet. There's science and common sense behind it. Eating lean meat, seafood, vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds is solid nutrition... It also happens to be the same as a diet that appears to be a fad at a glance. There are constantly increasing numbers of doctors and athletes that swear by it.

I have never herd of this diet. So I can't say if it is "fad" or not. But there is one going around locally (mo) that just sound flat dangerous, they eat only 500 cals and spray some pregnant woman hormone on their food. I am just going off what was told to me be several different Registered Dietitions (one of which is my wife). Also I graduated colage in 07. Where I was a swimmer for all 4 years. I actually had some medical issues my jounior senior year and had to go on a special diet. I actually had to increase my calorie intake due to swimming 20 hrs a week and my body not processing the food very efficiently (when I stoped swimming I didnt decrease my calories and gained a ton of weight). The doctors said my body was having issues due to stress. I was just adding what worked for me.

I also grow my own beef, so I know what is going into it. Our beef goes to the slaughter house at a younger age then commercial steers so they also tast better. Something you can is meet at farmer and ask them if you can buy a half calf or full calf to feed and slaughter. You probably will pay a premium but I say it is worth it. A half beef last me and my wife for a year and always have leftover beef that we give to family or charities.

For the OP the best way to get good info on nutrition for you is talk to a Registered Dietition (best if they are specializing in sports nutrition). I would look for a RD vs nutritionist as RD's go through a standardized medical qualification. (degree, internships, and test)

Edited by jarozzy