Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a Chrono, Which is Best?

Hey Y'all,

I've been reloading for some time now and have recently discovered that a Chrono would be very helpful. Any suggestions? and why is one better than the other?

I just don't want to purchase one and then find I need a different model cause I cheaped out on the original purchase.

Any help would be great,

Thanks, Aaron

as you will notice if you read the other thread (is it still on the front page of this forum?), the prochrono digital is rated very high in 'bang for the buck' by many people. I've only had mine a few months, but I'm extremely pleased with it. easy to use, accurate, and pretty reasonable (just over $100).

I had bought a Shooting Chrony and hated it because it would constantly give me error readings and I had to dig out the instructions every time I used it to remember how to run it. Sold it and bought the Prochono Digital and love it, easy to use and I have not had one single error reading so far!

If you want the BEST, look no further http://www.oehler-re...om/model35.html

And therein lies the problem with the word BEST.

For the average person, bang for the buck, then the Competition Electronic Pro Chrono is a very good choice. If you have the money then the CED is (arguably) the better choice.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the Shooting Chrony for pistols but I had no luck with it for rifles. Once I found I had to replace it, I found that it just wasn't that much more expensive to have gotten the better chrono (the Pro) to begin with.

But here's a trick for you. Load up 10 rounds very carefully. Measure your powder carefully and make sure everything is perfect. Chrono these. You should not have much variation in velocity. If you do, something is wrong.

Once you have your load established and tested, then randomly pull 10 rounds out of a batch and chrono them. These measurements will tell you how consistent you are loading.

Having mentioned the Oehler was a bit tong-in-cheek ..

Personally I have a (green) Chrony and a PACT IV (that doubles as a timer) ... the CED Pro is more than good-enough for our use .. heck I use a Chrony!!

Looks like the Pro Chrono has the electronics with the sensors. Bold move. There are 2 types of chrono users. Those who have shot their chronos, and those who are going to. Yes, there are preventive measures, but nothing short of armor plate will stop it. And replacing just sensors is a whole lot cheaper than the whole thing.

Anyway, I have a Pact MKIV timer and the chrono kit, purchased back when Brian sold Pact and he had a special "get the chrono kit for free". Also, an older CED (kindof like this) with a brand new set of sensors (why is that?). Both have sensors and electronics separate.

Chronographs, there is a fairly simple system to use when choosing them.

1 Pick the chrony you can afford, then spend more money and buy the one you really want.

The gunshop I work at has a ProChrono Digital. Which I like, but when I am working up loads for customers I use that.

I have a CED M2, I shoot NRA AP and at the Bianchi Cup there have been problems with the Chrono so my loads are tested with the best I can afford. When I fly 8000 miles I am not chancing it on a cheap chronograph. BUT we leave a ProChrono digital in MO for use when we get there. This chronograph was tested and is within 5fps on an average of 10rounds when using the same ammo as my CED. So we are safe there.

BUT if I had my choice again (and more money) I would have a OEHLER 35P.

But even they are not perfect.

Cons. Bigger skyscreens (less likely to hit them, less, not never <_< ), take longer to set up and take down, much more space required to fit the box in your car. Expensive :surprise:

Pros. More reliable, bigger shooting area through screens, third screen to weed out error readings, brain away from screens. Just beautifully made.

Again I think we come back to "best", for the average shooter the ProChrono is just plain hard to beat. Easy set up. The only issue is the brain right under the sky screens. As a retailer I think that is great, I get to sell you a second one when you blast a hole right through it.

BTW, there is two types of people who use Chronographs, those that have shot one and those that will shoot one. I belong to the former. :ph34r:

Buy the Prochrono and you will be happy. Buy the CED and you will be happier with the chronograph but poorer.

Edited by gm iprod

Prochrono,

Have been working with the club/s MD on chronographing loads. With my Prochrono and the old one from the club(no controls on the face) the readings were + or - 1 fps, at worse 2 with the machines placed in line.

He went out and bought a chrony Beta we tried today, and it consistently reads 10-15 fps lower than the prochrono.

+1 with the above post. Prochrono for the budget minded, CED if you like to splurge.

The BEST chrono is the one you have and know how to use. Same as with anything else BEST. End of sermon...

I've been a big fan of Oehlers, and have models 33 and 35P with several sets of rails and indoor illuminators.

I also have a PACT combo timer/chrono - it's a great timer, and a Chrony - cheap junk.

Oehler is the way to go, and is back in production after several years absence.

Nice to see tha Oehler is back making the 35P!

I have my old one which I will likely never have a use for. Includes the printer and two sets of skyscreens: one set for outdoors and one set with incandescent lamps for indoor use.

If I were to list it on the "Classified" section, what would be a good asking price?

If you want the BEST, look no further http://www.oehler-re...om/model35.html

And therein lies the problem with the word BEST.

For the average person, bang for the buck, then the Competition Electronic Pro Chrono is a very good choice. If you have the money then the CED is (arguably) the better choice.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the Shooting Chrony for pistols but I had no luck with it for rifles. Once I found I had to replace it, I found that it just wasn't that much more expensive to have gotten the better chrono (the Pro) to begin with.

But here's a trick for you. Load up 10 rounds very carefully. Measure your powder carefully and make sure everything is perfect. Chrono these. You should not have much variation in velocity. If you do, something is wrong.

Once you have your load established and tested, then randomly pull 10 rounds out of a batch and chrono them. These measurements will tell you how consistent you are loading.

What, in your opinion, is an acceptable varience in velocity?