Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson vs. Henning....is that a definitive answer?

hi...i'm new...names Rob.

i bought an Elite Match (.45acp) this past weekend at a local gun show. I believe it's an 09 build...that's seen very, very, very, very little use...as in, appears guy shot 1, maybe 2, mags...and put it up. There's no wear anywhere on the gun...so it might as well be brand new.

Anyways...the sights just don't work for me...and i'd really prefer a fiber front. I run dawson on a few other guns...so of course i went there first, but with all the talk of them being so much taller than the factory....it has me a tad apprehensive about wasting the money. Yeah..it's only $40...but still, that's over halfway to the short, but still much taller, henning fiber...

so..i ask...is a definitive answer as to which is the ideal sight, yet? I've read all the threads on all the forums I could find...and it just goes back and forth like an LSX vs Windsor thread, lol.

Henning now has his iFiber front sights are at reasonable height for the Matches built with the Novak style sights. (He used to only have them for the Bomar style sights.) I believe that recently, Dawson has also started producing sights with the appropriate height for the Match.

Personally, I would go with the Henning sights, but some people prefer the serrations that are on the Dawson sights.

Go through henning and get the ifiber front and supersight for the rear. Best upgrade money can buy for the match. If you cant get a good sight picture then all other upgrades are worthless.

Edited by PHX

I have both the Henning and the Dawson.

Honestly, they look like they were made in the same factory. I personally don't think the Henning sights are better quality, but the height he chose is definitely better for .40 and 9mm. For .45 the taller Dawson sight might work better with that round since it has a little more drop.

I ran the .180" on my 10mm Match and it was too tall with the LPA rear sight. The .160" will probably work ok though.

But... If you plan to upgrade the rear sight, then go with the Henning for sure.

Hope that helps.. ;)

are you changing the rear ? I have never had a sight set work on any gun, ever.

Get the rear sight you want, leave the front sight you have alone. Then go shoot and see what size front you need. You cant just order a random front sight based on looks and expect it to hit point of aim.

Honestly, they look like they were made in the same factory. I personally don't think the Henning sights are better quality, but the height he chose is definitely better for .40 and 9mm. For .45 the taller Dawson sight might work better with that round since it has a little more drop.

Wouldn't the opposite be true? The taller the front sight, the lower you have to point your gun to get the proper sight picture.

Henning shoots Tanfolio's. He has tested and tweaked it so they are correct.

I've been messing with my Match's so much lately that i forgot there was a perfectly good Hunter 10mm in the safe. I took it for a test drive last weekend. It had the FO front sight that Henning selected to go with the rear factory adj. sight. Working with the short adj. R. sight and factory F. sights on my Match, i'd forgotten how nice that thin blade FO sight is. Now i'm going to have to get the Match switched over.

i don't WANT to change out the rear....it seems decent enough for my purposes...which is just plinking at my range. I'm a rifle shooter...that likes to play a pistol shooter on the weekends.

my triggers break is great, but i'd like a lighter pull...so if i can figure out what springs and firing pin to order...i might just do an order and get the henning, since he's got the other stuff as well

I had 160 Tall x .100 Wide Dawson's sight installed on my Match with rear LPA sight. It worked really good.

Now I have an older Match upper with rear "Super" sight, have anyone used dawson's front (.160 or .215 tall ?) with super sight rear?

Edited by e-mishka

after e-mailing back and forth a bit today with henning....i suppose i'll just simplify things and order one of this sites. I was informed that a new, fixed, rear site for the Match is coming out of their shop soon.....so that'll be next on the list, as well. But for now...the .140 sight, XL firing pin and a 13lb wolf hammer spring are going to be ordered Friday morning :)

I had 160 Tall x .100 Wide Dawson's sight installed on my Match with rear LPA sight. It worked really good.

Now I have an older Match upper with rear "Super" sight, have anyone used dawson's front (.160 or .215 tall ?) with super sight rear?

I use the Dawson .215 with my .45 Supersight long slide. You have to crank the sight up pretty high to match the tall front one, but I kind of like having a taller front sight. I feel like I can acquire it faster..

Wouldn't the opposite be true? The taller the front sight, the lower you have to point your gun to get the proper sight picture.

This is with an adjustable rear sight. The taller front sight means you crank the rear up, which gives you a taller height over bore, which then could let you achieve a double zero easier with a bullet path that has more drop.