Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun - Rollover Prone

Anyone have experience with rollover prone position with shotgun - strong side up or down preferred? Position is shooting underneath a car, so either way the ejected shells could bounce back into the gun. I've done plenty of rifle rollover prone (strong side, ejection port down), but haven't had to shoot in that manner with a shotgun (FN SLP). I'm a strong hand reloader, so it looks like I'll have to roll onto my left shoulder so I can reload while still in position. Thoughts?

It all depends on how much room is under the car. The last time I went roll-over prone on the right side, the very last round in the gun jammed. Luckily I was finished with the stage and saw it at ULSC. Most times regular prone is what's needed to clear the bottom of the car because the targets are too high on the other side. More important than the style of prone in that situation is making sure you don't run the gun dry, you'll wast like 5 sec trying to get another shell in there.

Yes, kick the MD in the shins first.

I put the ejection port up if I possibly can. The best position for me was ejection port up, just flat on the ground of the top off the strong side shoulder. Next was weak (left) shoulder in an actual rollover prone. Have not had to do it in a match, but I did practice for it. Oversized charging handles like to hit the ground when facing down.

Kick the MD in the shins again.

Edited for a few typos

Edited by MarkCO

I had to do it in a recent match. With ejection port down, shooting off my right shoulder, I had one stovepipe when an empty hull hit the ground. The first and last time my Versa Max had any kind of ejection problem.

If at all possible, keep the gun vertical or ejection port up. If you really have to, you should also get away with the gun canted about 45 degrees towards the election port and not too close to the ground - the hull should have enough clearance to get out.

Definitely something to try before game day.

Thanks for the responses. The MD is being tough on this one - stage requires rollover position and 10 targets with only 9 allowed in gun. Dang. Time to practice...

Then to my post #3 above, add steel-toed boots. :sight:

• 2 weeks later...

Its not pretty...here's how the stage actually went down: AK was a stage gun fired from hip (5 rounds). Shotgun rollover was executed from each end of the vehicle instead of firing underneath and your feet had to be touching the wheel. Shotgun (SN SLP) jammed on first side, managed to clear when shifting to other side...and then ran dry before finishing...doh!

th_NCTStage2.jpg

I did this under a Vtac barricade a few weeks ago. Firing ejection port down caused a malfunction that required at least a minute, a pocket knife and a lot of cussing to clear. I think the extended bolt handle hit the ground causing the malfunction. Maybe I should have shot off my left shoulder to keep the ejection port up.

Its not pretty...here's how the stage actually went down: AK was a stage gun fired from hip (5 rounds). Shotgun rollover was executed from each end of the vehicle instead of firing underneath and your feet had to be touching the wheel. Shotgun (SN SLP) jammed on first side, managed to clear when shifting to other side...and then ran dry before finishing...doh!

th_NCTStage2.jpg

I knew that sounded something like Joe would do at Cavalier. How did the hip shots from the AK come out?

th_NCTStage2.jpg

I knew that sounded something like Joe would do at Cavalier. How did the hip shots from the AK come out?

I shot that match. You could make up any AK Misses with your handgun.

Ethan

The AK was a nice change up - I think I had three scoring hits out of five and followed up with pistol to get two hits on each target. Targets were close enough to see hits. Good/fun set up by Joe.

The AK was a nice change up - I think I had three scoring hits out of five and followed up with pistol to get two hits on each target. Targets were close enough to see hits. Good/fun set up by Joe.

I agree. I only got one out five. It was a fun stage.